More Seat Belt Baloney

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My car doesn't run below 11.50. This excerpt from the 2023 rule book says that because I don't require a SFI 2" etc. harness (11.49 and quicker), I can run an expired SFI without an issue. Mine is dated 2019. I don't have a roll bar, and only use the lap belt portion of the SFI.

When I went to the track recently, for the first time with this car, the tech guy told me I needed the factory seat belt. And yeah, I told him the factory belts are 50 years old. We agreed that it's a stupid rule. I know he's just doing his job. (Well kinda, he didn't even look under the hood, and I told him this car had never been run before.)

As I mentioned this page in the rule book, he said politely, that he knows the rules. Apparently, he doesn't know this one. I had the rule book in my phone, but he didn't want to see it. We went around in circles for a bit, then he said, "okay for tonight".

As an aside, I don't get how they get away without looking at a car. All he checked was my helmet and belt dates. And of course, I could've used someone else's helmet for tech, and used my perfectly good expired helmet to race.

My car is legal to the letter of the rules. But he doesn't know that. I wonder how many cars go down that track as ticking time bombs, so to speak. I'm 64, does the 18 year old in the other lane even know that his car is bogus if they don't look?

Anyhow, I guess if I have trouble the next time I go, I have to be diplomatic. I don't want to get on the tech guys wrong side, even if he's wrong. And of course, it could be a different guy, and he might have no issue.

1688662702463.png

Last edited:
Just remember, the rule enforcers are only looking out for your safety. I've seen too many accidents where the SFI dates were expired, some of the people walked away, some didn't. I've been busted multiple times because I didn't keep an eye on the expiration dates and I'm glad it was caught by the tech inspectors. The object it to have fun and everyone return home safely. I'm not preaching, I'm just stating my point of view.

^^Except the op is saying he DOES go by the rule, and the inspector didn't want to see it.

This is a favorite of any inspector, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, etc. "Well, I'll let you buy this one time." No, you are not letting me by with ANYTHING because there is nothing to get by

I've had my 10 second drag car to 6 different tracks in the last 2 years and nobody has inspected the car. I make sure my belts and helmet are in date but they never look. I don't know if this is leading to more accidents and oil downs at the track or not. You used to get your car tech inspected every time you went to the track. Now, I see lots of racers with expired belts because they know it's not going to get checked.

Just remember, the rule enforcers are only looking out for your safety. I've seen too many accidents where the SFI dates were expired, some of the people walked away, some didn't. I've been busted multiple times because I didn't keep an eye on the expiration dates and I'm glad it was caught by the tech inspectors. The object it to have fun and everyone return home safely. I'm not preaching, I'm just stating my point of view.
Thanks for the reply, Demonracer.
As Del mentions, my car is LEGAL! He didn't look at ANYTHING other than my helmet and belt dates, on a car that I TOLD HIM had never been down the track before.
And to reiterate, how do they get away with not inspecting cars properly? This was not my first race, I've had plenty of inspections.
He DID NOT have my safety as his concern!

Last edited:
If the tech inspector is giving you too much grief, contact the Divisional tech rep for whatever sanctioning body the track uses, IHRA or NHRA. If it's an outlaw track, you are at their mercy as to what they enforce. We ran an 11 second Stock Eliminator Dakota in both NHRA and IHRA for many years before my partner retired and I now run a 10 second bracket car, soon to be in the mid to low 9 second arena. Most of the Division 4 tracks are pretty serious about tech inspection and I'm glad of it. The few outlaw tracks I've run, it hit or miss on tech inspection.

It shouldn't matter, but this was a "Test n Tune" night. It's been a long time since I raced, and I only go for the test nights occasionally. Five years ago or so, a tech guy inspected my Fox Body by saying, "Cool". ???????

If the tech inspector is giving you too much grief, contact the Divisional tech rep for whatever sanctioning body the track uses, IHRA or NHRA. If it's an outlaw track, you are at their mercy as to what they enforce. We ran an 11 second Stock Eliminator Dakota in both NHRA and IHRA for many years before my partner retired and I now run a 10 second bracket car, soon to be in the mid to low 9 second arena. Most of the Division 4 tracks are pretty serious about tech inspection and I'm glad of it. The few outlaw tracks I've run, it hit or miss on tech inspection.
I ran Stock with a partner for a few years in the 90's (71 Road Runner 440 6bbl D/SA). They looked it over when it was new, but just random checks after that.

I may contact the track in question before I contact the division. But it's been so many years that they've done shoddy inspections, I can't imagine anyone in the office being concerned.
I know we sign a waiver, but they must be required to do some kind of decent inspection. I'm sure they wouldn't admit it, but I'll bet they don't want to spend the time required.

Go up the ladder if you have to with the rule book in hand.

The other fun one is having a full cage in the car, doesn't run the et that requires a window net, and getting hassled for no net in a cage car. IIRC, you can get a letter from NHRA clearing up any of the rules for those pesky inspectors. I think we had to get one for the cage car/no net so they would stop the nonsense.

I was also the guy when ET was the only standard for rules, would bump out of the lights on the brake, start the clocks, sit for a second or two and run a 11.00 at 150... 9.99 safety stuff... nah! Then they started the 135 mph level as a break point.

I was also the guy when ET was the only standard for rules, would bump out of the lights on the brake, start the clocks, sit for a second or two and run a 11.00 at 150... 9.99 safety stuff... nah! Then they started the 135 mph level as a break point.
Lol! They definitely don't like it when you beat them at their own game!

Lol! They definitely don't like it when you beat them at their own game!
I run several tracks including Atco , most of the tracks have more than one tech inspector. Some are more stringent than others. I have found that if you are a regular or long time racer they tend to not look as hard and just take your word for it but they still periodically check the belts and helmet . I was at Atco back in May for an index race and long time tech inspector Ronnie ( he used to work at E Town ) teched me in and checked my helmet and belts despite knowing me. My local track is very strict when it comes to tech , they know the rules and check closely for infractions , including going to fast for the allowed E T for the cars safety equipment . I run 11.50s and don't by the rules have to wear a fireproof jacket despite having a roll bar and belts , I ran 11.47 and they informed me to put my jacket on , which I did. My close friend recently put a new bigger motor in his car and went way quicker than 11.50 ( the track was running 1/8 mile that day he went 6.90 ) he isn't supposed to run quicker than 7.35 / 11.50 with out a roll bar after one run they approached him about it. I run 11.50 index most all of the cars including me are capable of running much faster than 11.50 but because technically you don't need a roll bar for 11.50 I would say well over half the cars in the class have no roll bar. Like I said hit or miss I was at Maple Grove for an index race a few years ago and the tech inspector asked about my trans shield ( I have one but its dates are expired ) I informed him ( in a nice way ! ) I don't need one for 11.50 , He said " Oh yea you are right " he signed my tech card and off I went.

BBE1046C-74F8-42C8-9BC4-CAEC4C38A771.jpeg

Last edited:
Several years ago, I went to Gainesville raceway for a TnT. 66 Barracuda 170 slant six on spray. Street and strip, low 13's-high 12's. Had a aftermarket 3 inch racing lap belt. 1 year expired. Got dinged in tech (at that time rules stated non expired belt). I took the OEM 1966 belt out of the trunk, held it up, and gave the tech inspector the choice of which belt he would rather have me use. He agreed the racing belt was a better choice.

-
Back