more slant six timing q's

-

bembry

Reaction score
File0006.jpg
Hello,
New to the forum!

I have a question regarding timing in my 63 Dart /6.

Some background on the car:

It's a 63 Dodge Dart GT convert. It has a reman and later model 225 in it. The orig older (3 freeze plug) motor gave up the ghost shortly after I bought the car--loud rod knock. My buddy who was a mechanic put in the remanufactured 5 freeze plug motor. It's just an autozone motor or something similar, bought as a long block, with the older components swapped over, except for a new 1bbl carb. It still has the older distributor with points too.

Anyway, right after we got it going, I had to move away with it due to a military reassignment, so no more help sorting it out from my friend, but it ran very strong.

The issue was a lot of pinging from too much advance. It did have a heck of a lot of power though. Using a timing light, I finally figured out that it was off by a gear tooth on the distributor. Well, the dist. was put right, and timed to like 7 degress advance, but the car was now a dog. Even advancing it all the way didn't give me back the power that it had before, but did give me a little ping. Gas mileage also sucks. Any ideas on what's up with this?
Thanks in advance,
Brent

Here's the car, by the way:
File0004.jpg

If you used the early harmonic balancer on a later engine, the timing mark will be off by quite a bit. You'll need to find out where true top dead center is and then set the timing accordingly. You can do it by screwing a long threaded (same as the spark plug) bolt into the #1 plug hole and rotate the engine BY HAND until the piston just hits the bolt. Make a mark on the balancer where it lines up with TDC on the timing mark. Rotate the engine the opposite way BY HAND until it hits again. Make another mark on the balancer at TDC. Half way between them will be true TDC on the balancer. If it doesn't line up with the balancer notch, you need to get the correct balancer that does or remark the one you have. If it still pings you may have to back off the timing a bit until it stops but do not go into the after top dead center zone. Performance and mileage will suffer and
the engine will probably run hot. If it still pings at 0, you'll need fuel with a highter octane rating.

also if the outside ring of the damper slipped and is now on a different location... you'll be way off!

put the piston at TDC compression and see where the damper AND the dizzy are at...

good luck

also factory motors have a 7.5 to 8.2 true compression ratio... so it it is pinging it might be really lean...

Cool ride and thanks for your service. You're not too far from me, if you need a hand getting that re-mark or tuning done let me know. I'm in eastern CT about 25 min from Providence.

Cool ride and thanks for your service. You're not too far from me, if you need a hand getting that re-mark or tuning done let me know. I'm in eastern CT about 25 min from Providence.

Many thanks! I'm still working on getting the car to me again though (is at my Dad's place currently in CA)

-
Back