more slant6 hp!

-

73VAswngr

Reaction score
I have a stock 1973 slant-6 (posted a pic in welcome wagon last week). I'm looking for some bolt-on horsepower that will still be good down the road when i start looking at messing with the engine itself. What is my first step down the path to more hp? I know the manifolds, 2 or 4 barrel carb, headers, and exhaust are all bolt on and I assume easy for a novice to apply. If I start there how much extra hp am I looking at? Thanks for the advice!

Likely in the 30-40 range. I did that and a cam plus had the head machined to raise the compression but figure I was still under 200 HP.

hmmm...so what did you do then? I'm too much of a noob for an engine swap so am looking to get all I can out of the 6.........nevermind...just checked your link :)

Hp depends on How much money you got. One of the mag's built a 320 hp N/a Motor just a few months ago. But a good cam, head shaved .100,4 bbl intake and headers gets into the 200's, some people turbo them or nitrous, and it will take a 100 shot of nitrous with a stock bottom end. It all depends if its a street car racer or inbetween. watch this 12.95 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPe_vHwZsF4

Thanks for the clip and the link! I'm trying to get my daily driver to be a sleeper for under 2K and without an engine swap...not sure if it's do-able

if your handy (can do the labor) 2 k will get you pretty far. That run (12.950was a stock /6 running 21 lbs of boost, stock cam STOCK,STOCK with a turbo. People build stroker slants, i want to hit mine with a 75 shot, (later this year) and see whats up.

I never even thought of turbo or nitrous. So there are kits available for a stock /6?!?!

kits for a turbo, no. People are developing a turbo manifold but not yet. Nitrous kits,generally universal are an easy adaptation to a slant. It can be bosses tapped into the intake manifold or a plate under the carb. I have a super six (2 bbl) and i'm going to put a plate under the carb and give it a bit of "juice" to make mine a sleeper. People on slantsix.org have efi slants,turbo,nitrous and stroker versions of the /6. Lots of good articles there on how to's and a great searchable forum.

Check this out!!!

http://koti.mbnet.fi/trc/

Kone valmis.jpg

I have a nitrous kit for sale if thats the route you want to go. Brand new $500, you would have to change the spray plate and I think thats it. send me a pm if you are interested
http://www.zex.com/ part # 82221

I read in an article in mopar performance magazine there was a slant 6 in a dart that ran 9 50 1/4 mile .I was amazed and will see if I can find a copy of it for you, also refer to m.p engine manual as it is very knowledgeale on and can get your car into the 12s but its gonna cost driveability on the street, take careps whis is with no supercharger or turbo

For 2K I would get an Offy intake, Holley 390 carb, set of headers, and Lokar (or Lokar rip off) kickdown and throttle cables. That will all work on a stock slant and you can do the whole swap in a weekend so you wont be down any drive time. Then I would pick up another head and have it worked over and when you are ready do a cam and head swap.

Here are some pics of slants, alot of them are from guys on this site. I use them for referance all the time.

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/Slant six stuff/?start=all

Here are some pics of Hilborn slants!!!

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/Hilborn slant six/?start=all

Sorry, misread the post the first time. Damned glasses were upside down. Right now I will have around $1800 invested in pretty much what you want to do, only with a twist. Comp 262S cam, Offy twin carb intake with 2 Holley/Weber staged 2 barrels (that's the twist), head milled .050" with 3 angle valve job, oversize valves (1.70" intake and 1.44" exhaust) and hardened seats, shorty headers. Had the head milled to that spec so that later on down the road I have .050" to clean up the block and there is enough meat for a redo if needed after my lifetime. Don't need all that compression since it knocks already on pump swill.

For 2K I would get an Offy intake, Holley 390 carb, set of headers, and Lokar (or Lokar rip off) kickdown and throttle cables. That will all work on a stock slant and you can do the whole swap in a weekend so you wont be down any drive time. Then I would pick up another head and have it worked over and when you are ready do a cam and head swap.

Here are some pics of slants, alot of them are from guys on this site. I use them for referance all the time.

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/Slant six stuff/?start=all

Here are some pics of Hilborn slants!!!

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/Hilborn slant six/?start=all
How much extra hp would i get with kickdown, manifold, headers, and carb? How much more after the cam and head swap? Would I ever need to change the rear end from the stock 7 1/4? Thanks for the advice!

Umm yeah you will need to change the 7 1/4 eventually, even a BONE STOCK /6 will obliterate it after a while, or you could just get good at replacing them :lol: and there are TONS of them around...some even for free :)

I'm trying to get my daily driver to be a sleeper for under 2K and without an engine swap...not sure if it's do-able

IMHO, nope. Drop in a junkyard 318 or 360.

People who build and hot-rod slants don't do it to go as fast as they can as cheaply as possible. They do it because they love the engine. It can be VERY addictive to modify slants.

But no slant built with 2K is gonna be what I call a "sleeper", especially if it's supposed to be reliable, daily transportation. Guess it might depend on your definition of "sleeper", though.

Turbo? Yeah, but if you're intimidated by an engine swap, a turbo is probably a bit beyond your experience level. A slant is a great engine to practice on, though, and learn lots of skills that you can use later on other engines.

vm

People who build and hot-rod slants don't do it to go as fast as they can as cheaply as possible. They do it because they love the engine. It can be VERY addictive to modify slants.vm

Why is that anyways? LOL I get all excited when I see slant go fast goodies.

Its the Slant sickness my friend and its contagious!!!!:happy10: I think with the rising fuel costs that slants will become huge in the next 5 years. I also believe that slants in the 15's to 16's are fast and considered sleepers. Its beating the system, a "free" engine , spend 2k and it's moving. The little engine that CAN! Doug Dutra just raced at the mats in vegas with an iron /6 no boost,turbo and was in the 13's. The build is on the slant site. Anyone can drop in a big block, but some big blocks are 15 second cars...

Its the Slant sickness my friend and its contagious!!!!:happy10: I think with the rising fuel costs that slants will become huge in the next 5 years. I also believe that slants in the 15's to 16's are fast and considered sleepers. Its beating the system, a "free" engine , spend 2k and it's moving. The little engine that CAN! Doug Dutra just raced at the mats in vegas with an iron /6 no boost,turbo and was in the 13's. The build is on the slant site. Anyone can drop in a big block, but some big blocks are 15 second cars...

It is fun to have something that is different too!

Don't forget Slantzilla!

I think with the rising fuel costs that slants will become huge in the next 5 years. I also believe that slants in the 15's to 16's are fast and considered sleepers.

See, to me, a sleeper is based on THE CAR, not the engine. It's a car that's a lot faster than it looks. And, seeing as how small blocks fit in A-bodies just fine and big blocks fit with a little massaging, I'm never SURPRISED that one is fast, but then I'm a Mopar guy, and I've driven Darts for 25 years, so maybe some kid in a Civic might not know any better, in which case it's a "sleeper" to him.

I also think that there are two kinds of car guys: The guys that hot rod their old cars and only pull them out of the garage on the weekends (and drive a NEW car or truck to work all week), and then there are the guys that wrench on their cars and drive them as primary transportation. I think there are more slant guys in the latter category than the first. Those whose hot rods are "toys" won't be much affected by gas prices, while those who drive them every day may eventually have to break down and become a weekender. So I doubt higher gas prices will really help slants TOO much.

If it weren't for my 73 4 door I would be walking, it's my daily driver and the purple 72 is ganna be Nikkis daily driver when it's done. Both are slants the 73 is stock and getting a 2bbl and Nikkis has a 4bbl, headers, and getting a milled and ported head.

When you hear the big block rumble , everyone knows its NOT a sleeper. Now when you pull up to a light in grandma's car and a "ricer" see's it and gets "dusted" (lol) then its a sleeper. And when the victim pulls up at the next light and asks"whats under there" you tell him a slant 6 then its a double sleeper. Oh yea 20 MPG's too! Thats when you got the total package. Slantzilla and the hose(150 shot):happy10: is my inspiration!!!!!

Why is that anyways? LOL I get all excited when I see slant go fast goodies.

Well, if you go to the dragstrip or a car show, you'll probably see a dozen 440 Wedges for every slant six you come across. A modified slant six is not something you see every day, at all...

-
Back