more slant6 hp!

-
See, to me, a sleeper is based on THE CAR, not the engine. It's a car that's a lot faster than it looks. And, seeing as how small blocks fit in A-bodies just fine and big blocks fit with a little massaging, I'm never SURPRISED that one is fast, but then I'm a Mopar guy, and I've driven Darts for 25 years, so maybe some kid in a Civic might not know any better, in which case it's a "sleeper" to him.

I also think that there are two kinds of car guys: The guys that hot rod their old cars and only pull them out of the garage on the weekends (and drive a NEW car or truck to work all week), and then there are the guys that wrench on their cars and drive them as primary transportation. I think there are more slant guys in the latter category than the first. Those whose hot rods are "toys" won't be much affected by gas prices, while those who drive them every day may eventually have to break down and become a weekender. So I doubt higher gas prices will really help slants TOO much.

Yep! I agree with you on that one. When I was driving my Dart daily I was more worried about gas milege and it running than performance. Now I got another car for a daily driver and I am looking at hooping up the Dart. Why?
I don't have to rely on it now and I only have to put gas in it whene I drive it.

When you hear the big block rumble , everyone knows its NOT a sleeper. Now when you pull up to a light in grandma's car and a "ricer" see's it and gets "dusted" (lol) then its a sleeper. And when the victim pulls up at the next light and asks"whats under there" you tell him a slant 6 then its a double sleeper. Oh yea 20 MPG's too! Thats when you got the total package. Slantzilla and the hose(150 shot):happy10: is my inspiration!!!!!

Went to the track, one time, with my 66 Cuda. Made a pass. Back in the pits, a guy comes up to me, and says, "that engine sounds wierd, is it a big block or small block"? I tell him "neither, it's a slant six". Then as I open the hood to prove it, I tell him it's only a 170, not a 225.
PS that run was a 13.4 at about 95 mph. But I do have more then $2,000 in the car.

Is nitrous an easy install? what other upgrades do you need to do first?

depends.... a slant bottom end is as tough as a hemi. I think 50-75 shot of nitrous will be safe. It involves installing a plate under the carb base and a solinoid switch to trigger it , the bottle, plumbing and some carb jetting adjustment. It the best bank for the buck. $ 500.00 For 100 hp (if your brave)

Is nitrous an easy install? what other upgrades do you need to do first?

Nitrous can be an easy install, or it can get involved, just like any other mod. I have a "fogger" system on my Cuda with a 170. It has the capability of over 300 hp. I have run up to 175 hp, and have broken parts. Cost of the system, including fuel pumps, lines, gauges, etc, was about $1,000

My 66 Valiant with a 225 has a plate system on it. Just mounts between the carb and the manifold. It is a 100 hp system. Cost of system, at a swap meet, $125

It is even possible to put a couple of "fogger" nozzels, in a stock manifold plennem, for a low budget, low power system.

If you stay under 100 hp shot, you will not need to do any mods to a good sound engine. Biggest thing, make sure you have a fuel system in good condition (if you run lean, goodby engine), and don't run too much ign advance, or too hot a spark plug.

Just remember, with nitrous, you have to pay to fill the bottle. Also, I don't know if this is true, but I have heard, that some states/towns, have laws against nitrous on street driven cars.

Went to the track, one time, with my 66 Cuda. Made a pass. Back in the pits, a guy comes up to me, and says, "that engine sounds wierd, is it a big block or small block"? I tell him "neither, it's a slant six". Then as I open the hood to prove it, I tell him it's only a 170, not a 225.
PS that run was a 13.4 at about 95 mph. But I do have more then $2,000 in the car.

I tell him it's only a 170, not a 225, :rock::rock:
It don't get better than that Chattlie_S:thumbrig:

Sorry if I'm butting in as I've not seen any other threads about what you've done to the car. Not wanting to squash your hopes of hp with bolt ons, but I would advise maximising what you have so far. Make sure the valves are set right, timing and advance right, carb right, tune up right with quality parts etc. Once you have done that then I'd consider going from there with bolt ons. Just my opinion and you know what they say about them!!!!

Congrats on your car and the slant. I was going to go V8 in ours, but looks like the slant is there to stay for a while.

Cheers

I think I'm going to enjoy the slant for a while and then drop a v8 in...I apologize to all who've offered advice...I think tuning a /6 to get v8 hp is way out of my expertise

It is fun to have something that is different too!
exactically. to be honest at first i hated the slant six. still nto my favourit engine but its growing on me. yet still i plan on turboing the one that is in my duster and putting it in a custom 36 dodge truck i am building (the duster is big block bound hopefully) and i am choosing this motor not becuse i want it to be a fast truck if i wanted that i woudl run a v8 i want it to be uniqe and as it is going to be hoodless i think it will be cool for people to look at it and wonder wtf is makign that thing move.

DSC04870.jpg

DSC04869.jpg

This was at Hotrod-A-Rama in Tacoma, WA.
http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/Hotrod O Ramma 2007 Tacoma WA/?start=all

It doesn't get much more rat rod than that! I wonder what alternator setup that is?

I think I'm going to enjoy the slant for a while and then drop a v8 in...I apologize to all who've offered advice...I think tuning a /6 to get v8 hp is way out of my expertise

building a high powered slant isn't terribly hard tho. You have the desired slant block the 68-75 where pretty much all components are forged, except for the pistons. A company called Venolia makes different piston sizes(Std. .030, etc etc) in forged pistons. That is what I'm installing in my motor because after I do that I'll be cleaning the head up a bit smoothing out the cast iron and making it flow somewhat decent. I have my combo all figured out and it will run me about 5 or 6 grand to build it the way I want it. 8 to 1 compression ratio is perfect for a turbo engine which is what a stock slant came with. It's difficult and expensive I have to agree. But not out of anyones reach. My combo should be able to reach 500 hp with the right tuning and fuel and I should be able to tune it higher to make more power with higher octane fuel. I'm sure building a small block to that much would cost around the same.

My combo is running in essentially stock 225 slant 6, with forged pistons, ARP studs and bolts everywhere I can get them(bottom end, and head bolts are all available) I'll be running an ignition setup off a Ford Windstar because coupled with my MEgasquirt ignition system It offers the best control because as a turbo boosts you need the timing to change in small amounts to fight against detonation, because detonation = kaboom. I'll be running a Offenhauser intake drilled and tapped for fuel injectors in the intake runners for improved fuel distribution(a huge problem on single carburator slant intakes which is why a triple weber setup improves driveability and power) and a stock throttle body off a modern magnum engine. The turbo manifold? ether custom or I'll buy one if someone starts making them which will be hooked up to a single T61 Garrett ball bearing turbo(the most expensive part of this whole project last i checked these are 1600 bucks each)

As you can see it's taken a ton of research to find out what I need and where I need it. I've got probably one of the strongest slant 6 blocks that you can get coming to me(out of a 68 dodge truck, had more webbing and bracing then the car slants) But from this combo I can run almost 30 psi of boost and make over 1000 hp PROPERLY TUNED, which is why I will have the megasquirt that will enable me to tune it properly because I can monitor every aspect of the motor running and tune.

Good luck on what you decide to do but don't count out the lowly slant because one day I may coming flying by in my slant getting 20 mpg with as much hp as you :D hehe just teasing

btw 360scamp thats pretty sexy wanna show me some more pics?

Offenhauser Slant 6 Quad Manifold fits 170, 225 5270 320.95
Offenhauser Slant 6 Valve Cover 5284 178.31
Offenhauser Slant 6 Engine Bolt Kit Stainless Hex SLANT6EKH 84
Clifford Performance Oversized Stainless Steel Valves 160
Fel Pro Engine Gasket Set 225 FEL-KS2116 62.39
Trans-Dapt Performance Products TRD-1113 Summit Racing Oil filter relocation kits 49.95
ARP Main Stud Kits ARP-142-5401 50.95
ARP Cylinder Head Stud Kits ARP-142-4001 94.95
ARP Connecting Rod Bolts ARP-142-6001 55.95
Comp Cams HighEnergyCamandLifterKits .440”int./exh. Flat tappet lifters, double roller timing chain, valve springsCCA-K64-241-4 326.99
Melling OEM Replacement Oil Pumps MEL-M66C Standard volume/pressure 75.99
Melling Oil Pump Screen Assemblies MEL-66-S4 28.99
MegaSquirt I ECU Kit V2.2 900-0106-01 Black Case Glens Garage 145
MegaSquirt Stimulator Kit V2.2 900-0204 Glens Garage 45
MegaSquirt Relay Board Kit 900-0112 Glens Garage 65
Glens Garage Universal Wiring Harness Kit(by RSAutosport 900-1150 53
Auto-nomics Throttle Body without injectors 399
Auto-nomics Air Plenum Kit 80
Auto-nomics MegaSquirt Wire Harness 4 injector kit wires for 1 wire 02, gm spade conn. Coolant temp. Wire dia. 100
Auto-nomics O2 Sensor(EGO) 1 wire 26
Auto-nomics Weld Nut O2 Sensor 5
Auto-nomics Coolant Temperature Sensor 14
Auto-nomics Air Temperature Sensor 22
Turbo elements garrett T4/T61 “TE61” GARH1 825
Tial 38mm Wastegate(Silver) TIAL3 215
Tial 50mm Blow Off Valve(Silver) TIAZ6 205
38mm Wastegate Flange 38M47 10
Venolia Slant six forged pistons 360
total 4058.42

. My combo should be able to reach 500 hp with the right tuning and fuel and I should be able to tune it higher to make more power with higher octane fuel. I'm sure building a small block to that much would cost around the same.

As you can see it's taken a ton of research to find out what I need and where I need it. I've got probably one of the strongest slant 6 blocks that you can get coming to me(out of a 68 dodge truck, had more webbing and bracing then the car slants) But from this combo I can run almost 30 psi of boost and make over 1000 hp PROPERLY TUNED, which is why I will have the megasquirt that will enable me to tune it properly because I can monitor every aspect of the motor running and tune.

It takes quite a bit to make 500hp with a slant. As far as I know 1,000 hp has not been reached. To the best of my knowledge, Cameron Tilly has made the most power on a "gasoline" slant, at 624 hp. If you are seriously planning over 500 hp, you must do some oiling system mods to the engine, and I would seriously consider aftermarket rods, and crank. A few slant racers, making a lot of power, have broken cranks. Crower, did make some billet cranks for the slant, about 3-4 years ago. I don't know if any are still available. They were a custom order group buy (about $3,000 ea)

No offesnse to anyone but 1000 hp in a slant six is a little out there. I know Cameron Tily has 600 something but thats with a turbo and hes probabaly worked on that for years. But good luck to you with your goal of a high horsepwer slant 6.

-
Back