More Torque than Hp?

-

Really what there saying by building torque engines is low rpm hp. Like said before hp is the combined ability of rpm and torque.
So you can build small amount of torque (small cid) and spin it high and get high hp. Is which they are calling hp engines or spin it low but with hugh amounts of torque (large cid) but also can create high hp which apparently is a torque engine. And 3rd choice spin large engines very high and make crazy hp. Either way your talking about hp.

I don't know WTF all the technical hoorah is and I don't give a ****. I do know that I can build an engine to really lay it down and that's all I really care about.

Interesting read, that's all.
Yes, interesting read and I haven't got through it all yet. Which is more important? At what RPM is my question. I see really fast cars (door slammers running in the 8's) leave the line at a particular rpm. (usually pretty high) because of the converter, gear ratio in the transmission, rear gear , and tire size> The rpm, for the most part, stays in the same range like the author of the article stated about pro stocks. (narrow band of power). The Nascar engines are a bit different but a lot the same. With all their variables and how the engine is built, they need the most power at speedway speeds (and rpm depending on a lot of design variables) OK, Do they all look only at torque? I don't think so. Horsepower rules the race track. If you have a street car (or mildly modified car) at the drag strip. You better have torque to get you going and hope you have things dialed in with your horsepower to finish the run out. Just my take.

I'm still reminded of those long stroke/ tiny bore generic GM's produced, loads of torque, but not so fast, even on the street.

I'm still reminded of those long stroke/ tiny bore generic GM's produced, loads of torque, but not so fast, even on the street.
Mopar always had a interesting bore/stroke/rod length/valve angle thing going on. A Chevy racer friend always bragged about his 6" rod motors. "Hell, my 273 has 6.125 rods from the factory". That pissed him off! LOL

I don't know WTF all the technical hoorah is and I don't give a ****. I do know that I can build an engine to really lay it down and that's all I really care about.

I believe its important cause lots of people are talked into dumping $5000 into a stroker short block or building something they don't want when thats not always the next best move on a belief torque trumps hp. When a set of heads cam stall and gear with get them more action. Or similar circumstances.

I believe its important cause lots of people are talked into dumping $5000 into a stroker short block or building something they don't want when thats not always the next best move on a belief torque trumps hp. When a set of heads cam stall and gear with get them more action. Or similar circumstances.

All of this and most of the thread is way over thinking. Simply choose good parts, have good machine work and a good assembly and your engine will perform.

At least mine will.

here's a dyno print out ... comp XE268 on a nice ( I know) 355 chev. sm blk. with Dart heads.
Torque and HP values intersect at 5252 rpm just like always.It must represent somethng?

View attachment 1715148609

This might take some confusion of the 5252 crossover.

Here's a dyno curve in Kilowatts, looks vastly different with no crossover, then how torque and hp are displayed. But the Kilowatt curve is the same shape as an hp curve just in different values.

When accelerating your car which curve does it follow the torque or power curve??

The red and blue line are comparing two different tunes.

Screenshot_20180305-080529.png

Last edited:
-
Back