More Torque than Hp?

-
True but a running engine cannot produce zero torque or zero rpm, its always producing both which means is always making power.
Unless it is not running.

Grand pop in law had some Dyno data that is just... WOW!
And flys in the face of conventional FABO wisdom and thought processes.

here's a dyno print out ... comp XE268 on a nice ( I know) 355 chev. sm blk. with Dart heads.
Torque and HP values intersect at 5252 rpm just like always.It must represent somethng?

COMP Cams® - Xtreme Energy 268 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft, Part # 12-242-2 Dyno Sheet copy.jpg

Horsepower is King ! I manipulate torque with the combo.

True but a running engine cannot produce zero torque or zero rpm, its always producing both which means is always making power.
I should have underlined "almost" I have seen the low numbers on a pto dyno for a tracror. The gauges barely move until the operator starts turning up the load. The only way an engine can produce "0" horsepower and torque is if it's not running.

here's a dyno print out ... comp XE268 on a nice ( I know) 355 chev. sm blk. with Dart heads.
Torque and HP values intersect at 5252 rpm just like always.It must represent somethng?

T x rpm = P
T x rpm / 5252 = HP
5252 is the constant changes the from P to HP so they could put the power of the 1st engines in a context they could understand. How many actual horses could do the job.

Mathematically they cross there is 500 lbs-ft x 5252rpm / 5252 = 500 hp is the two 5252 cancel each other.

If you measure the power something other like P or Watts etc.. theres no crossing at 5252.

now for the thesis. how does HP work as it regards to torque

now for the thesis. how does HP work as it regards to torque

Hp Is torque and rpm.

If you think torque and rpm move and accelerate your car or if you say hp or watts or some other form of power rating moves and accelerates your car then your right.

Your wrong if you think torque moves the car and hp accelerates it or some form of that or torque has more importance over rpm or hp.

Last edited:
Torque is measured by the dyno. Horsepower is figured and not measured.

Actually the dyno measures torque and rpm at the same time. Obviously rpm is the easier of the two. Even though hp is being calculated in essence it measuring the power of your engine.

Torque is measured by the dyno. Horsepower is figured and not measured.
Horsepower is a mathematical function of torque, as 273 and others have said. I should post a few of my redrawn dyno graphs... they all cross at 5252RPM, simple physics. No matter be it a lowly 318 or a race 436...
But a lowly 318 has low torque AND low horsepower, whereas the 436 is quite the opposite. It's all in the combination of all things together... not just the engine alone (edit: to determine who's faster :))

Last edited:
Actually the dyno measures torque and rpm at the same time. Obviously rpm is the easier of the two. Even though hp is being calculated in essence it measuring the power of your engine.
Oh agreed. For sure. The Dyno software does the figuring. The dyno measures the torque and rpm of course and calculates the horsepower.

Hi All,
As above states what's a small block ie. 340 drive like when it's got more torque than hp. They reckon hp sells cars, but torque wins races. I love torquey motors.
I'm looking at giving my motor some performance upgrades. Key thing is I don't want a high revving hsp motor. I usually don't rev past 5000rpm. I remember reading the stories on the I think 1970 Buick GS Stage 1's with 510ft/lb torque & 375 hp. I know this was under rated & a big block motor. Is this a good thing.
you will have to manipulate a 340 with gears/ converter to react like a GS stage 1. atypicle generic GM motor with a long arm and tiny bore. I like bigger bore engines.

I was never in my life that skinny, nor that geeky; that's not me. but check out his pencil-box,lol.

All throughout school, I loved math,geometry, trig, and algebra. And science, but didn't much care for chemistry. I excelled in what I liked.
I took the rest cuz it was mandatory. Didn't like it. And was called lazy for it. I did just well enough to pass. Funny thing is most of thatchit has never been useful for me to know in the near 50 years since. But they graduated a good little Canadian tax payer.
But the things I liked have paid off handsomely over the years.

5252 is simply the conversion factor to get the different units to match up correctly (Horsepower and pound-feet). In Metric terms where they rate power in Kilowatts and torque in Newton-meters the dyno graphs look totally different because the conversion factor is 9565. It's all up to interpretation, like philosophy lol... we've become accustomed to how engines feel and how the numbers relate to that feeling, even though they aren't always useful. Like knowing a truck engine makes 150 HP at only 1500 RPM with a peak at say 4000 RPM is actually more useful than knowing how much peak torque it puts out, as you can basically assume the HP rises at a linear rate with RPM up to the peak and any values in between can be converted to find torque with simple math. But it's harder to look at a graph of just an HP curve and say "dang that thing pulls really hard at the bottom end!"

Horsepower is King ! I manipulate torque with the combo.

I've always thought/heard that torque is King on the street and Horsepower is King at the track.
The reason being .... from my understanding... is by the time the HP is kicking in you're breaking the speed limit by a long shot. Speeding and street racing is illegal! :D

I've always thought/heard that torque is King on the street and Horsepower is King at the track.
The reason being .... from my understanding... is by the time the HP is kicking in you're breaking the speed limit by a long shot. Speeding and street racing is illegal! :D

Your engine makes hp from idle to redline. A dyno graph is misleading. I feel lots think under 5252 rpm torque is at work and above hp takes over. Which is untrue. The torque curve is whats is recorded by the dyno the hp curve is whats calculated from the torque. Technically you could throw away the torque curve after cause the hp gives you all the information needed to compare and analysis engines.

But the torque curve does help in one way. Its visually hard to read the very important under hp curve. Where the torque is visually easy for our brains to represent what going on with the hp curve.
Cause we know a flat wide band and high lbs-ft per cid means a strong under the hp curve. But the actual torque numbers are somewhat meaningless cause an engine with 250 lbs-ft peak can be way more powerful than an engine with 500 lbs-ft but obviously would have to be revving in a way higher rpm band.

Last edited:

As for Torque being King of the Street and HP King of the Track. Is cause in a NA engine there only two main ways to make HP which is rpm and torque. On the street you want good power from idle to 4000rpm and above is secondary so your hands are tied with rpm so Torque is your only means in which to build hp mainly by increasing cid and VE. On the track you have less restriction so you can also use rpm. Which by the way is also increasing the displacement in dynamic terms.

-
Back