Mother Mopar's Red-Headed Stepchild 360

-
We've had more than one customer with an old jeep, purchase a 408.....thinking a Chrysler 360 and AMC 360 are the same....and no, I'm not joking. Lol.

like Pontiac V8's(except 265 and 301), the external sizes are the same. For a "small" block displacement, it has a large bore,4.08" and medium stroke,3.44. Intakes stock are 2.025 and exhaust 1.68. BBM valves fit, 2.08 and 1.74. Oiling system is what it is. Could stroke it with a 401 crank, if you can find one inexpensive. Heads are good flowing. They are externally balanced.
AMC valve's are the same length as mopar, stem diameter is also the same. Is it possible to have to big of a exhaust valve?

The heads were in fact so crappy that everybody in pro stock through the 70s wanted their port design. Fred Brewer put the AMC design to good use in the big block Mopar heads he came out with. Anybody wanting to compete with a big block Mopar in pro stock on the 70s had his heads. So no, AMC head design and port configuration was some of the best there was. Read up on it.
AMC's suffered from a poor oiling system. Metal gears in a aluminum housing, not smart. Oil flow to and from the oil pump was poor. If you're going to spin a amc v/8 over 5,500 you have to modify the oiling process or the back half of the engine will have oil starvation.

I thought it was funny. I guess the humor was too subtle.
Sorry :p I can be a little literal. Another funny tidbit...we used to have a Buick race come through town... They used to have to pop hoods and make sure sure the cars were "Buick 350's...455's...whichever" and not SBC / BBC's... ensuring "Buick Powered". typically they would glance at distributor location and move on. One year a 302 ford powered Jeep showed up, and went a few rounds before they noticed lol.

AMC's suffered from a poor oiling system. Metal gears in a aluminum housing, not smart. Oil flow to and from the oil pump was poor. If you're going to spin a amc v/8 over 5,500 you have to modify the oiling process or the back half of the engine will have oil starvation.
Run a tube in the lifter Valley and blueprint the rotors, my coworker is all AMC and has a bad *** ambassador.

Do you know where the tube has to be ran from and to where?
20160116_210955.jpg

-
Back