Motive Gears Isuues

-

dusterdragracer

Drag Racer
Reaction score
Sorry to be negative, but I don't want anybody to go through what I went through, you can see my other blog here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=194608

After all this hassle, I realize from reading on the internet, and here too, that others have had this same issue. Their only resolve is for me to pull the ring and pinion, so they can look at it, then they will decide to credit me, or send another crappy set. In the mean time, I have not driven my car for 2 months, because I didn't have time to mess with it again (didn't want to mess up the pattern driving it).I offered to pay for another set, and then send these back for a credit. The answer was no.
I got zero response from their tech line, only that they NEVER have any issues with their gears....right!
Today, I talked with my friend at his performace shop, and he said he had the same issue with a customer, couldn't get the whine out after 2 sets. So he just bought Richmonds, and ate the difference in price to make his customer happy.That solved the issue of the whine.
So I recomend, buying your gears from Richmond, don't go through what I went through.I have had many Richmond sets with no isuues.
And also buy them from a dealer like Summit, or Jegs that will stand behind the products they sell, and will help you when the supplier won't.I made the mistake of buying mine off Ebay, from "totalgearhead" Business name: 4 Wheel Parts and More that only offered lip service, and I waited too long to make a Pay Pal claim.Live and learn.
Chris

I posted in your last thread. I too had a set of Motive 3.55 that I never did get the whine out of!

Some work, some don't. I've heard both stories on Motive gears.

Sad news I was told last night, that Motive bought Richmond....Guess I will look for a different brand. What are the best out there?Yukon,US Gear?

My buddy who set my the rear in my wives truck said that the motive gears are noisy and recommended yukon so thats what I went with and havent had a problem with them.

I run Motive's in my rock crawler front and rear and have no problem. I have also installed a set in my Duster, but what happens with that remains to be seen.

I too had a set of Motive gears that I coulnd't get the whine out of. I won't buy them again. Had great luck with Richmond's. No problem at all with a single set of them.

Motives are good for aggressive tread tires...it covers the whine!

To pishta:, hey I use to live in Tustin!
Motives are good for aggressive tread tires...it covers the whine!

That is what I told the guy I bought them from, he was a 4X4 place. I said 4X4's are not going to notice the whine as bad.

And thanks for all the feedback, positive or negative. I am sure some got them to work, but from this blog, and many other I read, the chances of getting a good set, are less then getting a bad set.
At least now I am certain it wasn't me. One always wants to believe in the product and think we did something wrong, but man I went over and over this, and took my time. I was really scratching my head. I am glad before I took them out again, and tried to re-set them, that I now have a plan.
I would have been really aggitated if I went through it all, to have them whine again, or worse, get another set and have them whine.
It appears Motive pumps them out, then lets the customer do the testing, they makes it such a hassle to exchange them, that nobody wants to deal with it, so they live with it.Or if you go through their game, then they send you another set, you hope for the best, or better yet, you get so tired of it, you live with it.

Sad thing is, I bought them because this is not a race car, so I thought I could save about $35.00 over Richmonds. Now I realize I had a Jegs $20.00 gift card for my next Richmond gears from the last race set I bought.That coupled with the $25.00 big/little ujoint I had to buy to run Motives fine spline (I only had a large yoke with fine splines), it really cost me, because now I only have a small coarse yoke (Richmonds take 10 spline coarse) and I have to buy another small u-joint. Some times I am a bone head!

And thanks for all the feedback, positive or negative. I am sure some got them to work, but from this blog, and many other I read, the chances of getting a good set, are less then getting a bad set.
At least now I am certain it wasn't me. One always wants to believe in the product and think we did something wrong, but man I went over and over this, and took my time. I was really scratching my head. I am glad before I took them out again, and tried to re-set them, that I now have a plan.
I would have been really aggitated if I went through it all, to have them whine again, or worse, get another set and have them whine.
It appears Motive pumps them out, then lets the customer do the testing, they makes it such a hassle to exchange them, that nobody wants to deal with it, so they live with it.Or if you go through their game, then they send you another set, you hope for the best, or better yet, you get so tired of it, you live with it.

Sad thing is, I bought them because this is not a race car, so I thought I could save about $35.00 over Richmonds. Now I realize I had a Jegs $20.00 gift card for my next Richmond gears from the last race set I bought.That coupled with the $25.00 big/little ujoint I had to buy to run Motives fine spline (I only had a large yoke with fine splines), it really cost me, because now I only have a small coarse yoke (Richmonds take 10 spline coarse) and I have to buy another small u-joint. Some times I am a bone head!

Been there myself. Sometimes it looks like a deal but we find out different. Places that do business like that really irk me. I worked for a place like that for a while. Was sure glad to get out of there.

-
Back