Motor and Tran not lining up easily

-

Vali68

Reaction score
Hello,
My son and I are in the process of adding a motor to our 68 Valiant(Slant6).
We are having issues trying to get the motor back lined up on the tranny(which we didn't remove from the car. only the old tired motor). Since the vehicle is on an incline on the driveway, I am thinking that maybe the tranny slipped back while being disconnected from the motor? May be gravity made it slip back on us?
If so, How can I get it back to line it up with the motor? We are about 1/2 inch away from getting it to line up to be able to put the bolts in the tranny from the block.

Help is appreciated.

Need more information. Need the year of the transmission and engine. Chrysler made some changes to the crankshaft register that might be affecting your issue. There's a small crank register (68 and prior) and a large crank register (69 and later). Pictures and measurements of the converter hub and crank register would also help.

Actually, the change was between 67 and 68 — I know this because I swapped in a 68 motor to my 67 transmission, and I had to use an adapter ring. Which would also indicate that the 67 torque converter had a larger register than the 68 engine — you had it the other way around.

Anyway, Vali68 needs to confirm that his new motor is 68 or later, because the smaller crank register in his transmission won't take an early crank.

Assuming that is all correct, then it's just a question of alignment. I find it handy to put a floor jack under the tranny for fine adjustments to its height and lateral positioning. You may also have to rotate the engine or transmission in order to get the teeth to engage.

So I need the number on the motor and the number on the Tranny to look this up right?
When we pulled the motor, we left the torque converter in the tranny. Could it be possible I need to change to the one that came with the newer motor? I can also look at the two and see if there is a difference.

Actually, the change was between 67 and 68 — I know this because I swapped in a 68 motor to my 67 transmission, and I had to use an adapter ring. Which would also indicate that the 67 torque converter had a larger register than the 68 engine — you had it the other way around.

Anyway, Vali68 needs to confirm that his new motor is 68 or later, because the smaller crank register in his transmission won't take an early crank.

Assuming that is all correct, then it's just a question of alignment. I find it handy to put a floor jack under the tranny for fine adjustments to its height and lateral positioning. You may also have to rotate the engine or transmission in order to get the teeth to engage.
ok my bad. I knew I was close.

So I need the number on the motor and the number on the Tranny to look this up right?
When we pulled the motor, we left the torque converter in the tranny. Could it be possible I need to change to the one that came with the newer motor? I can also look at the two and see if there is a difference.
Not sure you can as there is also a split between input shaft spline count from early to late.

MVH,
Vali68 needs to confirm that his new motor is 68 or later, because the smaller crank register in his transmission won't take an early crank.
If the motor is earlier than 68, will I need to replace the tranny to on that will work on it? Say a 67 or 66 Transmission?

I know that I found out about the early/late crank difference, the hard way. Years ago I tried putting a freebie 63 /6 into an 80 Aspen.
When it wouldn't go in, I wound up rebuilding the engine that I pulled out and put back in. This was about 30 years ago

Hello,
My son and I are in the process of adding a motor to our 68 Valiant(Slant6).
We are having issues trying to get the motor back lined up on the tranny(which we didn't remove from the car. only the old tired motor). Since the vehicle is on an incline on the driveway, I am thinking that maybe the tranny slipped back while being disconnected from the motor? May be gravity made it slip back on us?
If so, How can I get it back to line it up with the motor? We are about 1/2 inch away from getting it to line up to be able to put the bolts in the tranny from the block.

Help is appreciated.

I have had some trouble in the past with the trans being too far forward. Loosened the trans mount bolts and there is some play there. Could be your issue.

-
Back