Motor home 727

-
the do make then that work

i got my 360/727 in my duster from a 74 motor home
it has the proper tail shaft and it fits like it should

like pistah said, check the tail shaft and the yoke

Kinda depends on the size of the motorhome- the little van-based ones will probably be okay, the big boys (I forget the class ratings...) can have the short tailshaft and non-slip yoke as mentioned, they can also have the parking brake drum on the tailshaft depending on year. And since you included the '65 model year in your question, it could also be cable shift (trucks/RVs mounted the shift controls on the dash for those...).

Hello I am wondering if motor home 727 (65-78) are different from ones that came out of cars. It would be going in a 1973 duster with a 440

CEBDAF7A-F898-4DF7-9598-0CDDF1775060.png

this is the trans

Yeah, I'd pass on that one. It would cost you more to convert it to pass. car use than it would to just get the proper one to begin with.

Can you grab a standard 727 tailshaft and bolt it on? You don't need that brake. Not sure if the internals have the parking pawl. Trans guy would know...mechanically. :p

You will need three things; longtail output shafft, longtail extension housing, and front planetary to make sure that the splines of the planetary match the shaft. You can use a small block, AMC, or International Harvester for the parts.

That trans has the beefier planetaries, and may have better bands in it. Swap the tail shaft and housing and you should be good.

That trans has the beefier planetaries, and may have better bands in it. Swap the tail shaft and housing and you should be good.
My dad is a mechanic. He had a friend that sold trans hard parts. He had a big boy motor home 727 apart. Inside it had straight cut planetary gears!! Wish I would have got them. He would've let them go for peanuts.

You will need three things; longtail output shafft, longtail extension housing, and front planetary to make sure that the splines of the planetary match the shaft. You can use a small block, AMC, or International Harvester for the parts.
Do you realize that they have 2 planetaries inside?

do you know that the AMC and corn binder parts are all the same as mopar cars? you know the unimportant stuff like the:
speedo gear adapter hole
the output shaft machined gear teeth to drive the speedo gear
rear mount boss
slip yoke size
console bracket boss?

Last edited:
Do you realize that the front planetary is the only one splined to the output shaft and had three different splines thru the years? Do you realize that I realize that your eyes are real eyes? Why not google your questions before questioning ME??

Well I guess I forgot who I was dealing with. LOL

OK pal, how about the rear annulus gear, do the splines vary on those or are they the same forever?

No sense opening the service manual when you are on call 24/7 for free.

i have a 727 motor home tranny that has been taking up floor space for years.
Are you guys telling me it is worth keeping around as it has heavy duty internals?
mine has the brake on the back as well. It also came with a steel crank 440 attached

i have a 727 motor home tranny that has been taking up floor space for years.
Are you guys telling me it is worth keeping around as it has heavy duty internals?
mine has the brake on the back as well. It also came with a steel crank 440 attached
It's worth checking out.

Is that a bolt on yoke? But that would work even so, but you might have to deal with sealing up the back of the yoke. What does your tail housing measure? It looks a little short from an ordinary car. And I can't see if it has the double nubs for the factory shifter bracket.

The one I ha
Is that a bolt on yoke? But that would work even so, but you might have to deal with sealing up the back of the yoke. What does your tail housing measure? It looks a little short from an ordinary car. And I can't see if it has the double nubs for the factory shifter bracket.
the one I have is a bolt on style but the output shaft and tail housing are made to support that emergency brake.

Wait
The one I ha
the one I have is a bolt on style but the output shaft and tail housing are made to support that emergency brake.
wait a minute,, maybe it’s a trans brake???

That would be funny if... Anyhoodle, it's value is the fact that it's a bb case, and probably a 71-78 casting with the ptk valve body.

-
Back