Motor Mount modifications for 340/360 into Early A

-
Glad this got bumped again.

I missed it somehow and will be doing the swap soon.
:read2:

Not true. The passenger side is indeed the different unit. Those images in Neil's original thread are mine (unfortunately so are the sketches and bad penmanship).

hmmm.. when i did the 360 in my 64 valiant i left the passenger side (right) stock and i modified the drivers side mount (left) as per an ond mopar chasis book i think it was. now i know when we changed from a 318 to a 360 in djv's 66 cuda we had to modify the passenger side (right) mount... weird man.. i am 100% sure that i didn't touch my passenger mount and only modifies the drivers mount in my 64 valiant

I found that that drawing was wrong also back in 96. Once I figured out that the modification needed to be the passenger side I had it modified and then just built a spacer for the driver side. I since sold those, now have Shumakers (spelling).

I've seen a few early A's with 340's that did not have the passenger side mount modified, but then only two bolts hook up, which I guess is okay but with 10 minutes of modification time you can have all three...isn't that better?

65s said: "I've seen a few early A's with 340's that did not have the passenger side mount modified, but then only two bolts hook up, which I guess is okay but with 10 minutes of modification time you can have all three...isn't that better"

Neil you are 100% correct in stating that the passenger side mount from a pre-67 will bolt to a 340/360 using 2 of the block mounting ears, and that works just fine. Also, as you stated, 10 minutes of modification to the mount by adding a triangle of metal will allow you to use all 3 mounting lugs on the block.

As far as the driver's side 273 mount in an EARLY (66 or older) A body fitting a 360 type block, they DO FIT. The only difference is that there is a space of about 1/4" between the rear mounting lug of the block and the rear of the 273 mount. You can either weld in a piece of metal and re-drill the hole, or use washers to fill the space.

Here's a photo of my original 273 engine mount from my 66 A body, attached to the 1978 motor - 360 cu. in. I can get a photo of the other side later today if anyone wants to have a lookie see.

360 Motor mounts.jpg

Not true. The passenger side is indeed the different unit. Those images in Neil's original thread are mine (unfortunately so are the sketches and bad penmanship).

The knucklehead is the one who authored the Mopar Chassis manual section on modifying the bracket for doing the swap. It it plain to me that the engineer sent a lacky out to the garage floor with the instruction that he needed to get the dimensions off the "right side mount" and the goofball looked in the engine compartment, looked at his right hand, then took dimensions off the drivers' side mount. ](*,)

The difference between the 273 and 360 block is the configuration of the passenger side ears: the 360 only having one tab on the rear and two in the front, but the original 273 bracket is intended to use two holes in back and one in front. the rubber mounts are the same side to side (regardless of LA motor), but the brackets are indeed different on the passenger side for a 273 versus a 360.

Before you come on here and discredit a member, and tell him he is wrong, have some proof of what you speak.Here is mine.

First pic: 273/318 right (passenger side mount). Bolts up to the 360 no problem.

Second pic: 340 A-body left (drivers side mount). Bolts up to the 360 no problem.

Third pic: 273/318 left (drivers side mount). We have a problem.

So untill you can show me anything different,your information is incorrect.

Picture 718.jpg

Picture 717.jpg

Picture 719.jpg

Excellent photos JD. That last one is a 318 mount. The one in my photo is an original 1966 A Body 273 mount, and I had my 360 in the Vart with the original 273 mounts for many years - and will again if I ever get the sucker off the rotisserie. :)

Excellent photos JD. That last one is a 318 mount. The one in my photo is an original 1966 A Body 273 mount, and I had my 360 in the Vart with the original 273 mounts for many years - and will again if I ever get the sucker off the rotisserie. :)

Thanks.

We got a little off topic on this thread.
There is actually 2 topic's we are now discussing,early A and later A-body's.
I may have had a part in it.It was not intentional,my bad.

But if we are talking 273/318 mounts vs 340/360 mounts,my info speaks for itself.

Hopefully everybody's info will be able to help in the long run.

JZ

Ya, those last photos of the beautiful orange block with motor mounts are the second generation a-body mounts.

This looks like a good time to ask this even though the topic supposed to be on early A motor mounts I guess.

I have a 67 cuda with a 273. The passenger side motor mount insulator does not fit correctly like it should and even though how hard I try I can't get it to line up properly. The left fits fine.

The picture of Johnny Darts 318 motor mount (the third one) does not look like my mounts at all.

Notice in the picture that the insulator holes are on the same side of both mounts. Aren't they supposed to be opposite?

Has someone installed the wrong mounts on my motor?

Motor mounts 001.jpg

Motor mounts 002.jpg

Motor mounts 003.jpg

Before you come on here and discredit a member, and tell him he is wrong, have some proof of what you speak.Here is mine.

First pic: 273/318 right (passenger side mount). Bolts up to the 360 no problem.

Second pic: 340 A-body left (drivers side mount). Bolts up to the 360 no problem.

Third pic: 273/318 left (drivers side mount). We have a problem.

So untill you can show me anything different,your information is incorrect.

It was not my intention to tell another member they were wrong, I was speaking Klingon: you were speaking Romulan. I was talking early A small block brackets, you are clearly showing 67+ era units. What I am trying to say is that we are both correct for our respective model year applications.:read2:

No harm no foul, and actually my proof was provided indirectly by Neil at the beginning of the thread and later in the post from the Early Valiant/Barracuda site. My slam was towards the Mopar Chassis manual author, as it was the errant descriptor. My apologies to anyone who took my explanation of the modification to the factory early A brackets for use with a 360 as an insult.

The thread got sprinkled with pre and post 67 A-body responses (which you pointed out in a subsequent post). My biggest error was not first asking the question about whether the responder was talking about a set of brackets from a 63-66 K-member versus those for a 67-72 K-member before posting.

Lesson learned.

:toothy10:
It was not my intention to tell another member they were wrong, I was speaking Klingon: you were speaking Romulan. I was talking early A small block brackets, you are clearly showing 67+ era units. What I am trying to say is that we are both correct for our respective model year applications.:read2:

No harm no foul, and actually my proof was provided indirectly by Neil at the beginning of the thread and later in the post from the Early Valiant/Barracuda site. My slam was towards the Mopar Chassis manual author, as it was the errant descriptor. My apologies to anyone who took my explanation of the modification to the factory early A brackets for use with a 360 as an insult.

The thread got sprinkled with pre and post 67 A-body responses (which you pointed out in a subsequent post). My biggest error was not first asking the question about whether the responder was talking about a set of brackets from a 63-66 K-member versus those for a 67-72 K-member before posting.

Lesson learned.

Klingon vs Romulan....That is funny.:toothy10:

No apologies necessary....It's all good.:thumrigh:

This looks like a good time to ask this even though the topic supposed to be on early A motor mounts I guess.

I have a 67 cuda with a 273. The passenger side motor mount insulator does not fit correctly like it should and even though how hard I try I can't get it to line up properly. The left fits fine.

The picture of Johnny Darts 318 motor mount (the third one) does not look like my mounts at all.

Notice in the picture that the insulator holes are on the same side of both mounts. Aren't they supposed to be opposite?

Has someone installed the wrong mounts on my motor?

I have the correct right side mount for you if your interested.

Are those the factory mounts?
Whats the history on them?

Through my studies the holes for the insulators should be forward.(Towards the front of the motor).To me it looks like your right mount is wrong.
Look at my pics again and notice the "holes going forward".

You might have a E-body 340 right mount.They sit to the back.(towards the firewall).

Are those the factory mounts?
Whats the history on them?

Through my studies the holes for the insulators should be forward.(Towards the front of the motor).To me it looks like your right mount is wrong.
Look at my pics again and notice the "holes going forward".

You might have a E-body 340 right mount.They sit to the back.(towards the firewall).

I think they are factory mounts. I don't believe they are for my motor and year. They are the ones that was on the car when I bought it.

E-body huh! I wouldn't be amazed because it sure dose not fit right. I didn't have the car long and it ripped the insulator in two on the passenger side.

I think they are factory mounts. I don't believe they are for my motor and year. They are the ones that was on the car when I bought it.

E-body huh! I wouldn't be amazed because it sure dose not fit right. I didn't have the car long and it ripped the insulator in two on the passenger side.

Went out to the garage to find just the mount you need if you are interested.You will see the difference.
Charging the batteries in my camera,will have a pic up shortly.

John

Went out to the garage to find just the mount you need if you are interested.You will see the difference.
Charging the batteries in my camera,will have a pic up shortly.

John

I really appreciate you trying help me out but I've got a real good chance of grabbing a 360 here pretty shortly. But I would still like to see the picture of the motor mount in order to give me a idea of what it should look like.

Marland

Here is the mount you need.
Notice the difference.
If your interested in it let me know.

The 360 will need the same mount.

John

Picture 720.jpg

Picture 721.jpg

here are my 63-66 a-body v-8 mounts...

82740488.jpg

passenger side
82740485.jpg

82740481.jpg

drivers side.. you can barley see the triangle piece i had to weld on to use it on a 360

82740478.jpg

Here is the mount you need.
Notice the difference.
If your interested in it let me know.

John

Sure do.

Notice the insulator holes are toward the back. Man I swear I new something was wrong but I could never put my finger on it. I thought it was the one for my motor you know...and I just couldn't ever get that third bolt in it.

I bet the mount you have is thicker far as between the motor and the K-member. Mine measures 1.58 thick.

Just remember,holes go forward.

When I was looking for a A-body 340 left side mount,guys were trying to sell me e-body 340 mounts (Holes to the back on e-bodys).Hopefully this helps.

here are my 63-66 a-body v-8 mounts...

82740488.jpg

passenger side
82740485.jpg

82740481.jpg

drivers side.. you can barley see the triangle piece i had to weld on to use it on a 360

82740478.jpg

Man those early A-body mounts are thicker and a good bit difference in shape.

Just remember,holes go forward.

When I was looking for a A-body 340 left side mount,guys were trying to sell me e-body 340 mounts (Holes to the back on e-bodys).Hopefully this helps.

OK.

It is definetly the wrong mount.:angry7:

Thought I would add to this old post... I am installing a 360 into my 65 Dart. I went to use the passenger side mount from the 1965 273 and found the same problem where the passenger side ears on the 273 are two holes in the back and one in the front. where the 360 is two in the front and one in the back. Thought I would share some pics. I plan to add a triangle piece to the 273 mount to fix my problem. The dirty engine is the 273 passenger side and the clean red engine is passenger side 360.. I plan to square up the right side of the mount and add a hole. The Driver side I used washers to make up the space using the wider 273 mount on the 360 engine..
mount 273.jpg
Mount 360.jpg
ngle piece to 273 mount to use all 3 holes on the 360..

That 273 3 holer is bizarre. My 64 273 on a dolly in the garage is a 3 holer too, 2 in the FRONT and one in the back, driver side only, passenger is opposite. What were they thinking putting the mounts all over the place? I remember boltin my 65/340 up but cant remember what side I had to shim with washers. It was only on 1 bolt hole, sort of a spacer. I later made the triangle cut and weld.
I have a 64 Dart GT with a 340 and a stock motor mount on the passenger side but on the DRIVERS SIDE I HAVE JUST THE METAL PART OF THE PICK UP TRUCK MOUNT !!! ONE SOLID MOUNT!!! NO I REPEAT NO RUBBER MOUNT ON THE DRIVER SIDE! BOLTS IN JUST LIKE IT GREW THERE FROM THE FACTORY. It would be very easy to recommend that if you were to put a HI-PO 318 or 273 into one of these cars the solid mount would seem to be very practical just use a 318 drivers side mount.
1 solid plus 2 rubber mounts usually equals a cracked something....but I agree that the 318 truck mount (or even the 360) is a great starting point for a custom mount.

-
Back