Motor mounts to Block....Need Help PLEASE

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
Hey all. Im getting ready to install my motor. My problem is i had to get new motor mounts.I see the forms on the block for them. The mounts i thought would straddle both ends but dont.I do know the lower bolts are long.Are the mount to block mounts short or long as well. Ant idea on size. The motor came with no mounts and im a bit puzzled.Im sure there is a R and L as well.Please help.........Im stumped.Pics would be helpfull.........Thanks.

You have two pieces:

the engine BRACKET -- all metal

the engine MOUNT --rubber/ metal composite

The brackets go on the REAR of the block ears, held with three bolts.

I believe both 340 and 360 blocks are DIFFERENT on the left side than 273/ 318's. You can shim the bracket with washers so far as I know.

I just tore down a 318, have a 360, and will be pulling a 273. I'll try and get photos up.

Interesting comment here:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/engine_mounts/mmx-nd1.htm

====================================================

"Differences in Mopar Block Bosses
318 & 360 block mount bosses are no longer cut-and-dried in terms of their width.

When installing, measurements should be taken from the backside of the front boss to the backside of the rear boss. You will get a measurement of ~2-1/2" (narrow bosses) or ~2-7/8" (wide bosses). If you have the narrower option, use the enclosed steel spacers as appropriate."

===================================================

mopar_engine_mount_bosses.jpg

View of a left-side bracket on a 318. Notice that the bracket is BEHIND the block ears:

l_4716995c5abb6371ab99452a44035326.jpg

I thank you alot for your help:headbang:
Hey Edd, do you still need those long bolts? I'm going to be out to my parents tomorrow to go through my shed I'll see if I can find these bolt. I know I've got a few of them just have to find them. If I find them and you need them they are yours!

hi nite moves; I am in sort of the same pickle. I have a 55 dodge with a junk 270, but I also have a 88 chrysler with a 318. I, like you need the motor brakets so I can make side frame mounts. my original motor uses a front type mount and there was never a side frame system ever used on these, plus 55 and 56 dodges are odd-balls from the 54s and 57s. I would sure like to find a set of car or truck motor brackets. best of luck to you and everyone here. have fun with your toys; mikeh

hi nite moves; I am in sort of the same pickle. I have a 55 dodge with a junk 270, but I also have a 88 chrysler with a 318. I, like you need the motor brakets so I can make side frame mounts. my original motor uses a front type mount and there was never a side frame system ever used on these, plus 55 and 56 dodges are odd-balls from the 54s and 57s. I would sure like to find a set of car or truck motor brackets. best of luck to you and everyone here. have fun with your toys; mikeh
Speedway motors offers a mopar street rod style mount set, like 30-40 bucks a pair, makes it easy to make custom frame mounts

This thread is from nearly 5 yrs. ago. I sure hope he has it figured out by now, lol
hi fishy68; I used to live in Chicago, family moved to braidwood then Wilmington, went to grade and high school there and got married there 2 times, coalcity, Joliet, then davenport iowa 23 years, my oldest son and all my grand children still live there.youngest son is in Kentucky. last is texas. got married here for 3rd and last time(wife passed on in 2012 ; love of my life),plus step daughter is here. at 68 I am finaly very happy with life so, been here for 20years and hope to be here 20 more.

hi fishy68; I used to live in Chicago, family moved to braidwood then Wilmington, went to grade and high school there and got married there 2 times, coalcity, Joliet, then davenport iowa 23 years, my oldest son and all my grand children still live there.youngest son is in Kentucky. last is texas. got married here for 3rd and last time(wife passed on in 2012 ; love of my life),plus step daughter is here. at 68 I am finaly very happy with life so, been here for 20years and hope to be here 20 more.
Hi Mike. Ok, I'm quite a ways south of Chicago but I have family in Lisle so I've been up that way. Measure the distance on your engine motor mount ears and PM me with what you need. I have a set of small block motor brackets but I don't know what they came off of. If they'll work for you I'll let you have them real cheap

hey fishy68; cant do anything right now, motor is still in the Chrysler. and will be some time before I can get it out. I am jumping between my brother in laws motorhome and his 97 chevy pick-up and keeping my own truck up and going. I am the only mechanic in the family. motor and trans out of the 5th ave ( it has the spool type mounts, and I think the old style mounts would work better since I will have to make frame mount anyway) is going in my 55 dodge coronet(my retirement project lol). will be talking to you very soon mikeh

-
Back