Motor runs like s--t until it warms up?

-

NEWATTHIS

Reaction score
Hi guys the title says it all , just pulled the dart sport out of the garage after a long cold crappy winter. This car when its warmed up runs fine, its just starting this thing that drives me crazy. Every time i cold start this thing this is what happens. I pump it once the engine starts and then runs on of gas the it stops, if i pump it to much it floods easy. If i hold the gas pettle to the floor it starts, then it runs like **** and wont idle and can smell gas ,must be flooded. What am i doing wrong? Would the rpm airgap intake becausing this? I also run a 650 carb is the carb to big for a 318. Any advice is grateful thanks.

do you have a choke on the carb?...electric choke...?

an air gap has no provision for manifold heat..that the intake needs to warm up...

if the carb has set all winter...you might want to check it out...

needle and seat could be sticking......tap them with a screw driver to see if the unsticks them...or take carb apart and clean it.

Two things:
It's not EFi.
It's a Holley.
Check the chok for battery voltage or very close when the key is in the "run" position. If it's less than 10, figure out why and fix it. Then set the choke timing and high idle speed.
Last, rebuild the carb with an AED kit, clean out the bowls and blow the passages clear, make sure the power valve is properly sized and re-tune the idle mixture. I tell my customers that a carb rebuild is normal maintenance every two years. Sometimes you get more, but most times it's an improvement.

Moisture in the tank? Sitting all winter gas can go bad and moisture can form in the tank. Do you use any fuel stabilizer?

-
Back