Motorhome engine 440

-

SleeperScamp

Reaction score
What is the deal with these engines out of motorhomes? Are they any different from any other 440 or are they all the same?What would a fair price be for one with the transmission? Thanks!!

Their are motor homes with car engines,and motor homes with motor home engines.Most of the motor home motors are small valve and parts to just make torque,not to many F1 motor homes.Some come with special motor home heads that are useless to the performance world and as are the small valve motor.If some one found one,the only good parts are the rods,crank and block,oil pan maybe.And this is for the car version model motors.The motor home models have special heads with extra cooling outlets and water pumps with extra tubes for heating the home.If you do have a chance to get one,its only worth it for the bottom end if that.The tranny Could be of some use,depending on the tail housing and what speeds there are.At one time there was a 3 speed and a rare 4 speed 727.Most of the tranny parts would be interchangable to a piont.Its a look and see type of deal.If all you need is a block and a crank,its great if you get it for cheap,if not,you just bought alot of useless parts.Mrmopartech

Thanks!! Thats what I needed to hear!!I guess $700.00 For the Eng/Trans Is not the good deal he says it is...

Also some of the motorhome motors are not true 440's.......they didn't bore them out all the way to keep the walls thicker for heat dissapation.

Depends what year.. I got a 73 413 with the flame hardened crank to stroke my 400.. Just picked up a 78 (cast crank) 452 heads with 30k miles like new inside! put a cam and intake and vroom..A play motor but will make a good low mileage motor for the swap of the ole worn out 318 in my dak..

Sorry guys, I may be a new-be on this site, but not to mopars. I have to disagree with you guys on the Motorhome 440's. I have a '78 Motorhome 440 in my garage now along side 2 other 440's & a 400.There is very little diff. between these & passenger car 440's.I've seen many of these MH. 440's in a-bodies with the useual bolt-on's turn into street terrors! I have built & raced small blocks, big blocks, & Hemi's, if you want to get rid of these MH. motors, Please send them to me. I can make them run prety quick. Don't beleave every thing you hear & read! If you don't beleave me, just e-mail E-Booger ( Richard Ehrenberg ) Tech. editor at MOPAR ACTION Magizine.......By the way, I have a screaming Big Block W/ 2-4's, in a Duster also in my garage.........Thanks Thunderbumper

Like Thunder, I've built a few of these. I dont recall seeing any odd water pump setups, but I wouldnt question that there are some strange ones I've never seen. Depending on the year, it may be a 413. They were used in MHs to '72 or '73, and look identical. Check the block for the size in the casting. The lower end will have a forged crank regardless of year, many have the larger balancer the 6bbl engines used, because they also used the 6bbl type rod in them. (A thin balancer means LY rods in it) The heads have the same valve sizes (2.08/1.74), but the castings are different, having more water passages around the chamber and spark plug area. The exh valves are sodium filled (you can shake them and hear the liquid in there...lol) to help deal with exh temps. The sodium valves are heavier. They are a good starting point, but I generally dont use the heads, and earlier cars need the earlier water pump housing anyway (inlet ont he driver's side, vs pass side of later(post 71) big blocks. As far as the trans, I havent seen any from a big mh that didnt have the parking brake assembly on the trans. The mainshaft, and tail housing needs to be replaced to use this in any other application, std car or truck. The innards are all good tho. Hemi style 5-disc clutch retainer, the 4.2 kickdown lever, and 4 pinion planetaries should all be in there. (never say "always" with mopar...lol) There were also MHs with Gear Vendors O/D units on them installed by the RV places. I've only seen pics of that, but it's true..(that would be a nice score!) All in all, good stuff, but you'll need to buy more stuff to make them work. I wouldnt pay $700 for them. I'd go closer to $3-400, less if you cant hear it run.

Well now I really dont know what I should do!!! :tard: I have 3 choices the mtr home 440,400 from a cordoba-make into stroker,or just build up the 360 in the car now...Decisions,decisions,decisions!!!

Sleeperscamp,email me your number to call you and explain the situation and then you can make a deal for the motors.My number is 450 424 0445,Mrmopartech

i agree, not much diff. i pulled 1 from mh...it had a steel crank and a windage tray......

-
Back