Mountain Motorcycle Trip on Highest Paved Road in US

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Going on Saturday come hell or high water. John Muir said "The Mountains are calling and I must go". Taking the big KZ... I suppose I could say I'll be riding a kaw up into the mountains.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lhUrOBxJdg"]Trail Ridge Road - YouTube[/ame]

"His name was Jeremiah Johnson, and they say he wanted to be a mountain man. The story goes that he was a man of proper wit and adventurous spirit, suited to the mountains. Nobody knows whereabouts he come from and don't seem to matter much. He was a young man and ghosty stories about the tall hills didn't scare him none. He was looking for a Hawken gun, .50 caliber or better. He settled for a .30, but damn, it was a genuine Hawken, and you couldn't go no better. Bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Good luck on your trip!! In 2001 I rode my vintage 1977 Gold Wing up Pikes Peak and all thru the mountains, got pretty nipply though. Jeremiah Johnson is on my top list of movies. I can relate!

Are you going to Mt.Evans? Is that the highest paved road in the US?

That was spectacular! I love your videos Joe ... but they sure do make me homesick and wishing I could make a living there. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this! < hug >

Good luck on your trip!! In 2001 I rode my vintage 1977 Gold Wing up Pikes Peak and all thru the mountains, got pretty nipply though. Jeremiah Johnson is on my top list of movies. I can relate!

Yep, three season riding jacket is a must! Yes, that movie is right up there in my top 10.

Jeremiah Johnson:Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skinned?

Robidoux: Ride due west as the sun sets. Turn left at the Rocky Mountains

Are you going to Mt.Evans? Is that the highest paved road in the US?

Mt Evans is the highest paved road in the US, Trail Ridge Road is the highest continuously paved road in the US. Tried to make it to Mt. Evans 3 weeks ago, but got turned around by construction.

That was spectacular! I love your videos Joe ... but they sure do make me homesick and wishing I could make a living there. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this! < hug >

Not my vid, but thanks! I'll be mounting the Go-Pro for this trip. :cheers:

Wow Joe, Fun Fun Fun!!! Spent the night in Estes Park last month and drove thru Rocky Mountain in a CAR! Saw lots of elk, a mountain goat and a few moose! Enjoy the ride, stay warm and dry!!

0 My Humbled is the man on the hill this morning after watching that
It brought back some very old memories of mom, grandma and my little brothers traveling to fallow the crops to help feed the world.... Inspiring video to make me take the time and smell the roses this time in my life
You be careful where the cool wind blows Joe, This coming strongend will be all your's, no beeper/on call Just you and your Kaw and the road under your feet.

Thank you, that sure set my morning to move forward into the day

I hope this thread grow's as you take the trip up the mountain where the beaver belts are plenty and the elk can be taken with a 30 cal black powder rifle , preferably a Hawken's.
Pictures and possible video of your trip will fallow I hope.

Looks like a great ride, Joe. Gotta say it was a little freaky at the beginning when the rider turned his head as he was driving - kinda looked like he was heading "off road".
Anxious to see your video when you get back.

In 82 I rode my Yamaha 750 Seca from Dallas to CO...rode up Pikes Peak and did the Estes Park/Rocky Mountain Park road. Every other day it would rain. We go up to the Rocky Mountain National Park and it started raining, gravel on the black top from construction...said to myself it can't get worse than this..then it started to Hail. Yes Lord you are right it could get worse. :) We got us a room in Estes that night.

I just told a fib in a thread saying Treva won the small power ball and I was at your house with a new motorcycle and going to make this trip with you, I better go fix that fib :D

I love rides like that.
Well except for the all the bike's power going away from the lack of oxygen. :)

Would love to be riding behind you on my HD .......took a trip out west last week from Indiana to California ( in the truck ) all I could think was,,,I wish I was on my bike ........ Badlands SD.... Bryce Canyon ...... Especially going through Zion National Park ,,,,,,,WOW

Looks like a great ride, Joe. Gotta say it was a little freaky at the beginning when the rider turned his head as he was driving - kinda looked like he was heading "off road".
Anxious to see your video when you get back.

That threw me off too, I'm used to watching bike mounted camera vids, lol.

0 My Humbled is the man on the hill this morning after watching that
It brought back some very old memories of mom, grandma and my little brothers traveling to fallow the crops to help feed the world.... Inspiring video to make me take the time and smell the roses this time in my life
You be careful where the cool wind blows Joe, This coming strongend will be all your's, no beeper/on call Just you and your Kaw and the road under your feet.

Thank you, that sure set my morning to move forward into the day

I hope this thread grow's as you take the trip up the mountain where the beaver belts are plenty and the elk can be taken with a 30 cal black powder rifle , preferably a Hawken's.
Pictures and possible video of your trip will fallow I hope.

Boy I sure hope the weather is better this coming Saturday than it was today. Company sent me out to Edwards, CO and it was snowing above tree line and about 50 F around Dillon. Glad you liked the vid Mike, I thought you might... :mrgreen:

In 82 I rode my Yamaha 750 Seca from Dallas to CO...rode up Pikes Peak and did the Estes Park/Rocky Mountain Park road. Every other day it would rain. We go up to the Rocky Mountain National Park and it started raining, gravel on the black top from construction...said to myself it can't get worse than this..then it started to Hail. Yes Lord you are right it could get worse. :) We got us a room in Estes that night.

Super unpredictable weather up there and you can easily experience 4 seasons in 50 miles. It's a really short window as to when this road is open too.

I just told a fib in a thread saying Treva won the small power ball and I was at your house with a new motorcycle and going to make this trip with you, I better go fix that fib :D

Lol, too bad it wasn't true Mike!

I love rides like that.
Well except for the all the bike's power going away from the lack of oxygen. :)

This will suck, especially on a carbuerated bike, but I need to know how it'll act at 12,000' +. Highest I've had it is the high side of 9000'. I think it was around 9700'. It wasn't particulary happy (rich at idle), but ran OK.

Would love to be riding behind you on my HD .......took a trip out west last week from Indiana to California ( in the truck ) all I could think was,,,I wish I was on my bike ........ Badlands SD.... Bryce Canyon ...... Especially going through Zion National Park ,,,,,,,WOW

Incredible stuff, isn't it John? Here's a vid of them clearing some snow on June 3, 2011. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRRji3g8GTo"]Trail Ridge Road snow removal 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gutamU6POQA"]Trail Ridge Road Opening 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Hey John -
You need to go a little farther west on your scooter and ride up and over Tioga Pass (9943 ft. elevation) off of Hwy 395 and then down into the valley in Yosemite Natl Park in central California. Also a ride through Sequoia Natl Park would be mighty humbling with all of the big trees.
I've been to both multiple times and love both parks - but only one I've done on a bike is Yosemite. Absolutely gorgeous.

Wow...I was to Mt Evans 25 years ago. I have tried to get back but every time I was with someone else and they thought it not important enough to see. Thanks for this video I want to come back and see that ride in person! All I can say is Wow...I loved this.

Wow...I was to Mt Evans 25 years ago. I have tried to get back but every time I was with someone else and they thought it not important enough to see. Thanks for this video I want to come back and see that ride in person! All I can say is Wow...I loved this.

You're welcome. :)

My Yamaha didn't miss a beat going up Pikes Peak...now those darn dump trunks and gravel road were something else. :)
When I went up it in 78 with my 76 Datsun pickup with camper top and fully loaded ..now that was a different story. I had to rev it up and dump the clutch. Didn't think it was going to make it. But it did.
This year I took the Cog railway and let the CrownVic rest..it was good that I did cause the road was closed due to snow. This was in May.
But on the say day.....this happened. !@@#$ Bucks....watch out around Gunnison Co.

Attachments

• Crunched_CV.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 156
My Yamaha didn't miss a beat going up Pikes Peak...now those darn dump trunks and gravel road were something else. :)
When I went up it in 78 with my 76 Datsun pickup with camper top and fully loaded ..now that was a different story. I had to rev it up and dump the clutch. Didn't think it was going to make it. But it did.
This year I took the Cog railway and let the CrownVic rest..it was good that I did cause the road was closed due to snow. This was in May.
But on the say day.....this happened. !@@#$ Bucks....watch out around Gunnison Co.

Crap, I remember that, not good and the last thing I want to hit is an elk or moose on the bike. :cheers:

The whole concept behind this is a training run for a planned looong trip from Denver to San Diego (1075 mi one way) at the end of August. Been doing sit-ups and push ups every morning to increase upper body and core strength before the trip.

Just got a new Corbin Seat on order for the long trip too:

Attachments

• kz916.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 149
I'm also getting an Olympia Airglide 4 jacket. CE rated elbow, spine and shoulder protection, with a 3 season zip out waterproof liner.

Attachments

• olympia_airglide4_jacket_detail.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 143
I always carried full rain gear and extra shoes and gloves....and of course a full face helmet.

Yep, extra boots and gloves and most certainly my helmet. Picked up the jacket yesterday and it is nice. 3m reflective piping, waterproof and thermal can be used separate or together or even alone separate from the armored, ventilated shell. I do need another set set of gloves.... Lots of good stuff out there with armor for the knuckles.

After that trip of enjoyment, I am not sure if I could be back and setting in front of my computer with out a short time with my four legged friend and then hitting the hay, Joe may need some relax and self time after a run that long :thumblef:nothingbutdarts, Lets give him a few more hours........................................................................................................................Joe!!! we want Video bro! :cheers:...............................................

Don't make us worry !!

-
Back