Mounted the factory fuel pump

-

dartslantsix

Reaction score
Thought I'd share how I mounted a factory fuel pump from a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

P1080454.jpg

I made a sheetmetal box and welded it into the tank.

P1080506.jpg

Cut out the threaded flange from a Dakota tank and bolted it down.

P1080516.jpg

Shortened up the canister, and here it is.
Why would I want to do this? The factory canister has built in baffling so that the pump is always in fuel. Also, it has a gauge sending unit that I can use since my stock sending unit does not work. This pump I already had in my possession too. So it didn't cost me anything but time.

More pics and descriptions are on my blog.

Nice job! But - welding on a gas tank? I'm old school and have heard those stories for decades about blowing up fuel tanks! Whew - I would be nervous and shaking like a chihuahua passing a peach pit!

I've followed your blog for a long time. You said you used the original radiator? My 68 radiator has the lower outlet on the driver's side and inlet for the 5.2 water pump on the passenger side. How did you deal with that? Jim

I too was nervous about welding on an old tank. So, I bought a new one. I figured it was safer and then all the work was going into a new tank. Wouldn't want to do all that work to spring a leak a year later due to rust.

On the radiator, I've been contemplating what to do on that issue. I was going to rig up some sort of cross over pipe, but the more I thought about it, I think I'll pick up a later model radiator. My dad may have one and we're visiting him this weekend.

Glad you're enjoying the blog.

I hope to use the pump sender assembly from a Jeep Cherokee too but in a different method to the madness. I'll delete the spare tire well and mount the entire fuel tank from the Jeep underneath. Spare doesn't fit in the well anyway. Ample trunk space for a spare. It comes from a 90 Town Car, fuzzy cover and all.

If you wash them out with dishsoap and hot water, then ventilate it's just fine to weld a used tank.
You can also fill them with the same gas a mig welder uses and they are safe then too.

Nice job on the conversion...

When I weld a used tank, - with the sender out,, , wash it out,, then run an exhaust hose off a healthy running vehicle into the filler opening,, let it run for quite a few mins,, I used to tape an torch to a long pole and pass it over the sender hole,, but after the first dozen or so,, I'd just go to it.. never even a "pop"..

The non-combustable exhaust gases displace any fuel/oxygen vapors..

Yea I was wondering, what are all you efi magnum ppl using for fuel pumps? Can I just put the ram sending unit in the stock tank or would I have to cut the tank open and baffle it? I would like an aluminum hotrod city garage tank with a built in pump but that's a lot of dough. What's the best route?

Yea I was wondering, what are all you efi magnum ppl using for fuel pumps? Can I just put the ram sending unit in the stock tank or would I have to cut the tank open and baffle it? I would like an aluminum hotrod city garage tank with a built in pump but that's a lot of dough. What's the best route?

I used the stock magnum fuel pump because it already has baffling around the pump. It was a bear to make this work though. I've got two posts showing how I made it work:
https://dartslantsix.wordpress.com/2014/10/05/gas-tank-modification-part-1/
https://dartslantsix.wordpress.com/...on-part-2-plus-fuel-pump-module-modification/

You can use an external pump, but it would be best to baffle the tank to keep it from sucking air.

Another option that I think I'd gravitate towards in the future is using a 2000 era GM F-body pump assembly. It looks a lot easier to adapt and it is lower profile. There are pictures towards the bottom of this thread:
http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48527
This also has baffling included.

Hope this helps.

In my magnum swap I originally used an external pump, but went through a few of them due to heat/starvation issues. When I did my dart, I tried the universal tanks inc. module, and it has worked very well so far. I am still fighting the pump issue in my fury, so I am going to use the setup from the dart again on it. Not hateful on price either. Here is the link. http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...duct_id=84/category_id=61/mode=prod/prd84.htm

Would the stock magnum sending unit or the gm sending unit work with the factory fuel gauge?

Would the stock magnum sending unit or the gm sending unit work with the factory fuel gauge?

I doubt the sending units will work with the factory gauge. I'm planning on using a programmable aftermarket gauge.

If you were able to leave the stock sending unit in place, while still adding the pump, you could probably use the factory gauge. My sending unit was toast, so I am going to use the magnum sending unit.

What type of gasket did you use between the plastic and the tank? Did you have to do anything to the plastic to make it flat where it seals to the tank?
I like this idea. If you want it to work like factory, use factory stuff. Nice job.
Tom

Never mind, I saw the link to your build. that's what I needed.

I'm following your lead dartslantsix. I ordered my Dakota pump and went to Pull a Part and cut a flange from a 2002 Dakota. I also ordered a new tank. I'll have my recess box made by the time the tank gets here. Should make for a neat job. Thanks for the article and a very good write-up.

Tom

Genius!
I pulled the entire tank, sending unit, fuel lines, evap/charcoal canister set up our of my 99 ram donor vehicle and I'm going to run the entire 99 ram gauge set-up, so I'm going to steal your idea lol
But dumb question,
Why weld in a box around it?

The reason for the box is just so that the pump and fittings aren't hitting the bottom of the trunk floor. Just for clearance.

The GM pump module that I reference earlier in this thread is lower profile and could be adapted easier. If I were to do this again, I'd probably go that route. I already had the Dodge pump though.

Hey David, looks like you are a member of the Corner-Carvers forum. Matty B offered the dimensions for that mounting ring in that thread you linked to, wondered if maybe you might have asked him for those dimensions. Wouldn't be hard to figure out, but thought I would ask.

Hey David, looks like you are a member of the Corner-Carvers forum. Matty B offered the dimensions for that mounting ring in that thread you linked to, wondered if maybe you might have asked him for those dimensions. Wouldn't be hard to figure out, but thought I would ask.

No, I didn't ask him the dims, but it shouldn't be hard to figure it out.

Ok if I run the camaro pump in my tank with a carbed 5.9 I'll need a regulator up by the engine and a return line correct? And what if I run a 5.9 with stock MPFI with the return less fuel rails, will I need a regulator and return line there as well? I've been lookin up different stuff and the camaro pumps are regulated at 58 psi and the 5.9s are regulated at around 50 psi. I'm guessing I'll need a regulator for either setup correct? Or just install that magnum pump instead of the LS1 pump...

Ok if I run the camaro pump in my tank with a carbed 5.9 I'll need a regulator up by the engine and a return line correct? And what if I run a 5.9 with stock MPFI with the return less fuel rails, will I need a regulator and return line there as well? I've been lookin up different stuff and the camaro pumps are regulated at 58 psi and the 5.9s are regulated at around 50 psi. I'm guessing I'll need a regulator for either setup correct? Or just install that magnum pump instead of the LS1 pump...

Yeah, if you're going carb, you'll need a regulator. You might be able to put it near the tank so you don't have to run that much extra line.
On the returnless system, the regulator is actually in the pump module. So no separate regulator is needed.
With the Camaro pump being at 58 psi, that might be close enough that it would work with the Magnum injection. If not, there is a regulator/filter combo that came on Corvettes that might take care of the issue. Not sure, but they were discussing it in the new Hemi swap forum.

Yeah, if you're going carb, you'll need a regulator. You might be able to put it near the tank so you don't have to run that much extra line.
On the returnless system, the regulator is actually in the pump module. So no separate regulator is needed.
With the Camaro pump being at 58 psi, that might be close enough that it would work with the Magnum injection. If not, there is a regulator/filter combo that came on Corvettes that might take care of the issue. Not sure, but they were discussing it in the new Hemi swap forum.

I used the LS1 Corvette filter/regulator on my 5.2 setup and it regulates perfectly with a 1/4" return line (~ 56psi). I have the stock pickup and sending unit with original 5/16 steel line. I don't know yet whether I will have heat problems with the pump or starvation problems with the unbaffled pickup.

The cheapest filter/regulator I found was a Wix from O'Reilly's.

-
Back