mounting a fuel pump?

-

magnumdust

Reaction score
Providing the weather holds out(not looking too swell at the moment though) i want to try and get started on the efi swap for my car. The problem is, i have no idea how to go about mounting my fuel pump close to the gas tank.

tips/suggestions?

The lower the better. There is room on the outside of the spare tire tub.

I put my EFI pump in the engine bay in 2 cars (on the frame rail) and no problems (see posts). Many sources say that won't work, but guessing they never tried. Before that, I did the "mount at rear", pusher pump, etc stuff, and it was messy or gave problems. That was on my 65 Newport where there is more room at the rear, with a nice protected space between frame rails.

I put my EFI pump in the engine bay in 2 cars (on the frame rail) and no problems (see posts). Many sources say that won't work, but guessing they never tried. Before that, I did the "mount at rear", pusher pump, etc stuff, and it was messy or gave problems. That was on my 65 Newport where there is more room at the rear, with a nice protected space between frame rails.

hmm that's an interesting idea. I have my low pressure fuel pump mounted in a similar location, but i expected it to be a lot more crucial to have the pump mounted rearward for efi.

Have you had any issues with fuel starvation? I intend to run some sort of forced induction on my car and i don't want it running lean when i go around a corner/hardstop

I REALLY have a problem with front mounted pumps. They are THE cause of much of the vapor lock problems. This is because the entire length of the fuel supply tube is now under vacuum, much more so when a bypass/ regulator is being used, and boils in the exhaust area when parked

My "carb" pump is (not used now) right in front of the tank and just above, on the trunk floor.

The injection pump now is shoe-horned into the cavity right in front of the passenger side front leaf spring mount.

Attachments

• IMG_6110cs.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 159
I REALLY have a problem with front mounted pumps. They are THE cause of much of the vapor lock problems. This is because the entire length of the fuel supply tube is now under vacuum, much more so when a bypass/ regulator is being used, and boils in the exhaust area when parked

My "carb" pump is (not used now) right in front of the tank and just above, on the trunk floor.

The injection pump now is shoe-horned into the cavity right in front of the passenger side front leaf spring mount.

hmm that's an interesting location. Do i just need to drill two holes in the frame and then use a tap to thread it??

I originally had the EFI pump in the same place as 67Dart273 shows, in my 65 Newport where that is a larger and more protected area. That was a Holley gear-rotor pump of their Pro-jection system. It made a racket there and was hard to get to without jacking up the car. Several pumps failed there, probably from restriction issues. I later put a Holley radial vane pump there, with a higher spring to give the needed 18 psi and ran that for many years. When it started leaking thru the body, I went back to the gear-rotor pump, but put it in the engine bay. I found that fuel pours out of the 5/16" supply hose when I did a "bucket test", so no way the pump could get starved. I have run that way for over a decade and no more pump problems.

In my 65 Dart, I put a Walbro pump (as 67Dart273 shows) in the same place (actually lower), bolted to the front frame rail. I can just barely hear the pump there, just enough to hear it running before the engine fires. Re vapor lock, I have driven in 110 F days here with no problem. My exhaust is far from the fuel lines (Chrysler wasn't stupid).

67Dart273, Those look like regular worm hose clamps. I suggest you replace them with more secure "fuel injection" hose clamps. Will probably never fail (had those on my Newport EFI until I learned better), but better to take no chances with high-pressure gasoline.

I mounted a low pressure pump on the passenger side inner frame rail near the tank. I'm using Two 3/8ths lines on the sending unit for in and out. Two 3/8ths Aluminum lines to the front of the car and back. and a surge tank in the engine compartment for the high pressure side of the system.

A stock gas tank is all you need. Set up this way, it will out perform any of the custom tank systems that are being sold out there, esepecially when you get down below a half tank.

Attachments

• IMG_3256 (Large).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3226 (Large).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3257 (Large).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 143
  • SurgeTank.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Surge_tank_internals.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3232 (Large).jpg