Mounting my scatter shield to block first or to the transmission?

-

royalbull73

Reaction score
Might be a silly question but here goes. The 340 motor is currently out of my 72 Demon being rebuilt and I am wondering if it would be easier/smarter to mount the Lakeside scatter shield to the block and then install it into the engine bay and then bolt it up to the 4-speed? Or should I install the scatter shield to the transmission first and then lower the motor into place? I do not have a hoist to raise the car high enough to install from the bottom so it will have to be installed from the topside.

Thanks for the responses.

You’ll need to center up the bell. It requires a dial indicator magnetically mounted to the crank or flywheel and the. To turn the engine over by hand reading the indicator to see if it is within specs and not to far off center which would cause a vibration and possibly poor clutch operation.

It’s a PIA requiring two people to make it EZ. But you can do it by yourself.

Edit;

If you already did all of that, I mount the bell to the engine first and then the trans. The Lakewood scatter shield are, as you know, heavy as heck and for me, make the transmission front heavy and add to the difficulty in installation.

You've Gotta Do This on the Motor First... Then Slip Your Trans in after it's in the car.

Ind.jpg

trans.jpg

Once you get it indicated in, take it back off. Leave the block plate (ASSuming you have the block plate) and flywheel on.

Stick the engine/headers in and then put the can on.

Those Lakewood cans are HUGE and trying to get 10 pounds of **** in a 2 pound bag takes way longer than if you do it pieces.

Been doing it that way for 43 years, and counting.

And they make and sell offset dial pins to get it centered up. There’s a post in the racing section on Moparts right now about them.

-
Back