Moving rear end back

-

69GT

Reaction score
I would like to move the rear end in my Dart back some to gain additional clearance between my tires and the front of the wheel openings. I was going to use spacer plates between the front spring mount and frame but I have heard that you can actually just move the rear end back on the spring perches so that the pin on the spring goes into the forward hole on the perch. Is it really O.K. to do it this way as far as being safe and does it affect the pinion angle at all? Are there any other issues to consider when doing this? I am aware that matching holes will have to be drilled in the shock mounts and I will need a longer driveshaft as well. I would appreciate hearing about the pros and cons of moving the rear end this way from anyone who has done so.

are you doing it for the look and stance....or because you are wheeling too much off the line? I am just guessing but if its just a 1/4 inch or less...why not use the spacers in the front....that would be super easy...you wouldn't even need to lengthen your shaft or anything else....would ya put the spacers in and go.........That drive shaft is in there along ways if its A727 or A833...not sure on a904....JMO

I am doing it to gain additional tire clearance at the front of the wheel opening in order to use a larger O.D. tire. I had a friend of mine make me some 1/2" spacers but when I went to put them in with the new offset mounts I bought, the studs are too short to get the nuts on fully. I would have liked to have moved it back more than 1/2" anyway. I have several longer driveshafts to use if I move it back far enough to require a longer driveshaft so that is not a problem. I can't say right now what the angle of the rear shackles are as the rearend and springs are out of the car. I am just curious about the safety of using the other set of holes in the spring perches.

A member on here (guy with the purple cuda sorry it slips my mind at the moment) spaced his 1". It was on a 67 cuda. He used solid aluminum which of course is lighter. It set the rearend perfectly in the center of the fender well. You will have to remove the front hanger bolts and use longer ones for the bolts to be long enough. I was wanting to do the same thing but never got any further with it. The only question I had was moving the drive shaft yoke at the trans out of the trans 1" would be ok? It would lose 1" of full engagement to the trans therefore in my mind making it weaker I suppose.

I am so glad I stumbled across this thread. I wont need to shorten my driveshaft when I change from 7&1/4 to 8&1/4. I'll just move the rear back an inch. Once again FABO just made my day.
Excuse the interuption. Carry on :)

One thing to make sure of is to check the brake hose length, you wouldn't want it to bind. I'm sure there's enough slack in it but it wouldn't hurt to check.

-
Back