Moving to California

-
Reaction score
Well Ive been livin in Pensacola, Florida for the last three months and now Im movin again to Lemoore, California. So I was wondering if anyone here knows of car clubs or cruise nights in the Sacramento area.

Talk to Ben aka gtxpereance he is up there and may be able to help you out. Welcome to California.

Well Ive been livin in Pensacola, Florida for the last three months and now Im movin again to Lemoore, California. So I was wondering if anyone here knows of car clubs or cruise nights in the Sacramento area.

I grew up in Sac and I have no idea where Lemoore is. I do think there are a lot of good members up in Nor Cal though.

Just looked it up. You will be smack dab inbetween Sacramento and L.A. about 200 Miles either way. Not much there. It looks like the closest town is Fresno.

Lemoore is 35 miles south of Fresno. My uncle was stationed there in the 70s and he lived in Coalinga until the earthquake leveled his house.
I am sure that somebody from the Fresno, Hanford and Tulare area can put out some info about the area.

Not a whole lot of cruising goes on in California anymore. Major crackdowns in most towns. Pretty much any police officer can pull you over if they see you drive by more than 1-2 times. The rice grinders have ruined all the good ol' days.

I live in Modesto, aka American Graffiti, home of cruising, and there is nothing. All the classic burgers joints are closed up. There is one place left downtown that does a classic night once a month (IIRC), but it is mostly the real classics, like your 50's and older cars, as well as the older crowd (late 50s -70s). Graduation night (Graffiti Night) is totally gone. In it's place are some local car shows in mid summer.

What you get a lot of are "runs" where people get together and drive a long distance. Sometimes it's to a park, a bar, or a restaurant. A lot of them add in some fun things like games and prizes or do things for charity.

So look for thinks like "Poker Run" or "Charity Run" and stuff in local papers.

There is also the once a year Hot August nights stuff which you will be in range of.

I left central California back in 1989 because of the smog laws and constant harassment by the police over my hot rod. I've been pulled over for going the speed limit "your car is louder than mine" - CHP Mustang prick; tying my shoelaces (why did you stop in front of this house?) ever try to shift a manual when you are stepping on your own laces, officer? I used to race at Famoso Dragstrip. It's a nice place now.

Yes, Lemoore is in the San Joaquin Valley. As YDD mentioned, it is approx. 35 miles south of Fresno and approx. 30 miles west of Visalia. The San Joaquin Valley Mopar Club is located in the Madera area and has an annual show in October.

Yep the Madera show is usually pretty nice but a long haul from the bay area.
My only question is why move to Ca. now ? Not to be negative but this state is falling apart!

I left central California back in 1989 because of the smog laws and constant harassment by the police over my hot rod. I've been pulled over for going the speed limit "your car is louder than mine" - CHP Mustang prick; tying my shoelaces (why did you stop in front of this house?) ever try to shift a manual when you are stepping on your own laces, officer? I used to race at Famoso Dragstrip. It's a nice place now.

LOL, I've had that too. Got pulled over one night for blipping the throttle a tad to get ahead of a car and move over a lane to make a turning lane before the next light. Not over the limit, not enough to spin tires, not too much to stop in time or cause problems, but just enough to wake the Big Block a bit, exhibition of speed, lol. People do much worse every day, with full throttle kick downed acceleration in their putt-putts. Not my fault they don't sound awesome while doing it :p

If you wind up near Fresno, watch out for a guy who runs a business called Shaw City Engines. He took me for $2000.00 on a commando 273 motor.

The Marine Corps is sending me to CA. Its as close to home as I could get.

Thats cool. Always nice to be close to home. I am from socal. When I joined the Navy they sent me to Norfolk Virginia. Could they send me any further from home. Answer, YES! next thing I know I am in Bahrain. LOL

Lemoore is no where near Sacramento. Fresno or Visalia are close. It seems like Visalia used to have several car things going on, and the Frosty Freeze in Lemoore used to have a cruise night. I don't remember what day of the week, but the owner of that Frosty Freeze is who I bought my Barracuda from. Are you stationed there permanently, or just for Framp school, C school, whatever they're calling it this week. I spent almost 4 years there as an instructor.

Lemoore is no where near Sacramento. Fresno or Visalia are close. It seems like Visalia used to have several car things going on, and the Frosty Freeze in Lemoore used to have a cruise night. I don't remember what day of the week, but the owner of that Frosty Freeze is who I bought my Barracuda from. Are you stationed there permanently, or just for Framp school, C school, whatever they're calling it this week. I spent almost 4 years there as an instructor.
Im gonna be here for 3 months for C school, then most likely I'll be going down south to San Diego.

I'm in Navarre right near you. I'm sorry we never met but it sounds like you're happy with the move. From all of us at Eglin, Hurlbert, and everywhere else, thank you for your service and good luck!!!

Well, let me know if you need anything. I'm in San Diego at Miramar. Who knows, maybe you'll end up in the same squadron. What's your MOS?

Dude...you are just a muscle car cruise away from the famous Famoso dragstrip..home of the Cacklefest and March meet. This dragstrip started it all. Few miles south on highway 99. Lucky dog you.

Hey your out right near Fresno? you got to go to this event if you can make it...it'll be as awesome time! old skool racing at Eagle Field. Its an old decommissioned air base that is like a museum now, but the owner is really awesome and let's us do car shows and racing on the old air strip! don't miss it, it's right near you! open to 1973 and earlier cars, it's on May 22nd check out the link and flyers...I'm planning on going as well.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4515120#post4515120

2010FLYER-2.jpg

-
Back