Mowing with child on your lap

-

moparker

Reaction score
I've already seen three people this year mowing with a child on there lap.Is it me or is that really dangerous. I always heard the stories about what could happen if the child fell off. To each his own i guess. I wouldn't take the chance.

Once upon a time that was a right of passage, just like putting your child in your lap while driving your car and letting him/her steer.

I'm sure Mother's Against Mowing with Children are getting organized as we speak and soon there will be a law against that too.

We'll have seat belts and air bags on our lawn tractors and don't even think about mowing with a cold beer.

its not as bad as it mite seem...it would be very difficult to run over a child almost imposable...much more dangers to have them around you where things hit by the blade will fly out. lots of kids have been badly injured and even killed

I always have the kids clearout when I'm mowing for that reason.

My son always loved mowing with me and now my girl loves it.But I do mow with my arm around them and only on the flat areas.I also run a mulch cover over the disgaurd so nothing gets thrown out or falls in the hole.

Best to just lock them away in a padded room until they're 20.

1970-how-we-rolled.jpg

Both my sons greatly enjoyed a ride on the mower with me. They didn't get a ride until they were 3 or 4 years old, however.
Kept my arm wrapped around their waist and even let them steer.
There has to be a line drawn somewhere between being safe at all cost, and actually enjoying life. I understand safety, but you have to be a real moron to run over a kid that you're holding in your lap.
Just my opinion of course.

Several year ago while mowing I noticed a slight noise and cought a glimpse of something flying from my mower and striking the side of my house.. After further inspection noticed that is was about half of one of the sides of the drive pulley and it was buried several inches into the cedar siding.. Not a doubt in my mind it would have cut a kids leg off or killed them if it struck their neck or head.. Now I always make sure kids are inside...

Both my sons greatly enjoyed a ride on the mower with me. They didn't get a ride until they were 3 or 4 years old, however.
There has to be a line drawn somewhere between being safe at all cost, and actually enjoying life. I understand safety, but you have to be a real moron to run over a kid that you're holding in your lap.

x2 Well said George.

x2 Well said George.

Very well said indeed........

I used to give my son rides on the tractor & let him steer, but I never did it with the blades engaged. He's 13 now & I can't even bribe him to get on it now!

I'm sure Mother's Against Mowing with Children are getting organized as we speak and soon there will be a law against that too.

We'll have seat belts and air bags on our lawn tractors and don't even think about mowing with a cold beer.

And that is part of the reason America is falling apart. People should mind their own business. Hell kids should wear a helment when showering because they could fall and hit their head. lol Hell I had many stitches growing up and would not change a thing. How would a kid know the stove burner is hot without touching it at least once.

I used to give my son rides on the tractor & let him steer, but I never did it with the blades engaged. He's 13 now & I can't even bribe him to get on it now!

Let them ride on the tractor with with you, not that is safe, but what the hell, got to have some fun. I did it with my kids and we both loved it.

NEVER let them ride with you or be in the yard with the blades running. You are an idiot if you do this. Go ahead, all of you idiots who did it and tell me nothing happened. You where very, very, lucky, is all I can say.

I work for a farm machinery company that sells these lawn tractors, and I do not want to tell you how many reports I have seen of poor kids that have been malled because of their brain dead parents. It is really sad. Even sadder when the dumb *** parents bring a law suit against the MFG because it was "The MFG Fault" their child was hurt. And we wonder why lawers make so much money.

Ma Snart

I rode with my grandmother when I was about 3-4, and was mowing on the rider on my own when I was about 7. But then, they also let me drive (steer) the car and grandpa's truck down city roads sitting next to them. No one ever wore seatbelts. At 5, I rode on the fold down arm rest in the Cordoba. And my grandfather drove his truck drinking a can(s) of Bud. And who can forget riding in pickup beds?

It was the 70s. Everyone did most of that. I wouldn't do any of that now, but you have to have fun, too. I'd be more worried about my kid's ears on a mower.

i know a kid who lost half of his foot when he was about 8 years old doing that. he slipped and lost 3 toes and part of a side. any more they would have had to take the whole foot.

I grew up riding my bike with no helmet ,i rode in my parents lap driving down the road, i played out in the yard while my dad mowed the yard.as did all you other folks and im still alive as are all of you lifes not worth living if you have to look like that kid in the chrismas story kids are gonna be kids and we cant always be there to keep them from scraping there knees. lighten up america think about when you were a kid.

Just last month here in north Texas we had a four year old lose his entire leg due to a lawn mower. Grandpa was mowing and he was running around in the yard playing. Apparently grandpa made a sharp left turn and he was there and was pulled under the deck.

I understand having the kid on the mower isn't the safest thing but at least you know exactly where they are. Personally I think if you don't have someone to watch the kids your lawn can wait to be mower. Safety ahead of aesthetics or vanity. Just my opinion.

I use to ride on my fathers lap, learned to drive tractors by 10 years old, used chain saws at 13. Can it be dangerous, sure. But thats the type of stuff tuned boys in to men.

I grew up riding my bike with no helmet ,i rode in my parents lap driving down the road, i played out in the yard while my dad mowed the yard.as did all you other folks and im still alive as are all of you lifes not worth living if you have to look like that kid in the chrismas story kids are gonna be kids and we cant always be there to keep them from scraping there knees. lighten up america think about when you were a kid.

I still ride my bike today without a helmet, I have yet to go down either. Know when to stand up to stay in control and have the seat low enough to kick the bike back up.

Was biking one day and some guy yells out I got the seat too low, I double back and explain, ah yeah but me wants to kick the bike back up if ever needed, its just for enjoyment, not to go as fast as possible. Goes saying how you should never need to to that, ah yeah but when you push things too far I like having a second chance.

I'm not sure whats to become of people. Look how some drive today. Get your license at age 20 something and by age 25 you are just getting used to driving. I was hot rodding around at age 20, I see it all I thought, ha ha

Really started driving at age 14, just in the 25 mph zones. Old man was pushing me to start driving, saying the earlier the better. Today the thinking is the later the better--rolls eyes

Just last month here in north Texas we had a four year old lose his entire leg due to a lawn mower. Grandpa was mowing and he was running around in the yard playing. Apparently grandpa made a sharp left turn and he was there and was pulled under the deck.

I understand having the kid on the mower isn't the safest thing but at least you know exactly where they are. Personally I think if you don't have someone to watch the kids your lawn can wait to be mower. Safety ahead of aesthetics or vanity. Just my opinion.
Well technically the seat area is the safest place to be around a mower.They are designed to protect the rider if something fails so if the kids are not inside the house the safest place to be in on it.

Side note with some ppls logic why would anyone put a kid in a car better chance of injury in a car than on a mower.

My kids and grandkids are tought to stay away from mowers at all times.
Different strokes for different folks.

-
Back