mp 406 crate

-

terryr

Reaction score
Seem to be having an oil issue with this engine.oil is getting into the exhaust port .plugs are a good colour and runs fine.im wondering if its the stem seals on the exhaust valve.mtr has only done 3000 miles.has rt magnum heads.and the cam has a 501/513lift.maybe something is beating on the seal
what type of seal should i use

anyone else have this engine and had issues

thanks terry

Can you describe your symptoms.. ie,, what makes you think oil is getting into a specific port.. Although a venturi type of vacuum does exist at the ex valve guide,, it's unusual for it to suck much oil unless the guide is wiped.. It has nowhere near as much vaccum as an intake... I know of, and have run engines with-out exhaust seals with little oil transfer...

hope it helps

do you mean oil is getting onto the exhaust manifold or header?

if oil was leaking internally into the exhaust it would be smokin' like hell out the tail pipes

Can you describe your symptoms.. ie,, what makes you think oil is getting into a specific port.. Although a venturi type of vacuum does exist at the ex valve guide,, it's unusual for it to suck much oil unless the guide is wiped.. It has nowhere near as much vaccum as an intake... I know of, and have run engines with-out exhaust seals with little oil transfer...

hope it helps

At times of high vacuum...throttle closed and costing down hill for example, if the seals on the exhaust valves are questionable it may suck oil into the exhaust....old SBC, if I remember correct, just had a "o-ring" style wiper on the exhaust. First time it got hot, or around 50k miles or so the "o-ring" would go away and it would start puffing...

I have no exhaust on the car at the moment, and noticed the oil in both the collectors, so dropped a header out and there is a coating of oil on the bowl side of the exhaust valves, if I had oilly plugs I could understand it,, so leads me to think there is no issue with rings and inlet valves, I bought the engine knowing about an issue with oil , but I needed to see for myself, the motor has been stripped twice by two engine companys who could not find anything wrong with it ,I think they may have missed somthing, maybe cam lift, it ows the previous owner a fortune, im wondering if the stem seals are filling with oil and its being sqeezed, there is no visable smoke at the moment,, I took a look at the bearings , and they are like new, all the honeing marks are still present on the bores, and runs and is very responsive, I best do a comp test and maybe have the springs off

-
Back