MP Dist Timing Scatter and Bad Curve

-
What you say is exactly the reason I suggested trying to scare up a lean burn dist, which should be cheap and even though you can't effectively drive the car that way, it would be a way to pin down some of the problem. That is, a locked up dist with a good solid mount pickup and which has good bushings, if that still shows scatter, then you can be sure that at least some of it is in the cam drive/ intermediate shaft

So, I assume then this discussion is talking about the Mallory units, since Mallory has made the MP distributors since about 99 or so. I always thought the Mallory distributors were pretty good. But, as usual, WTH do I know?

I guess the best way is to plug the hole and go distributorless. Can it be done without a computer?

Never had a problem, dial them in and run'em!

Yea that's what they were referring to. Here's the info I read.

So, I assume then this discussion is talking about the Mallory units, since Mallory has made the MP distributors since about 99 or so. I always thought the Mallory distributors were pretty good. But, as usual, WTH do I know?

I guess the best way is to plug the hole and go distributorless. Can it be done without a computer?

Attachments

• MP Dist Info 002.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 159
  • MP Dist Info 003.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 172
  • MP Dist Info 004.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 161
  • MP Dist Info 005.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 180
Ok, then I would guess that the standard Mallory Mopar units and not the MP Mopar units don't have this issue. Would think that's a safe assumption? Because they are decidedly different.

Thanks for the article, btw.

Rusty,
The article does mention MP several times and I would think that it is referring to Mopar Performance version of the Mallory distributor. :) Hell, its not much info to go on. Sucky thing for them to do, introduce questions and then give limited info.

This is business as usual with Mopars. We've never had anything spoon fed to us. We always have to figure it out for ourselves. Again, thanks for posting that article. At least it's SOME info. lol

Mopar Action,Ehrenberg . Saw the same article. I always used stock cores,curved them correctly. No problems,whatsoever. Takes patiencd,and common sense. Del ,nailed the easiest way.( if you have a guy,experienced enough).

Read Ehrenberg's article and have plenty of experience with the mopar performance units. Think the spark scatter mention is overblown but the horrible curve out of the box is not.These units are far from ready to run out of the box which is not the dizzy's fault but marketing.They must be adjusted for anything stock to moderately modded and running on the street or you will have problems period. If you think you are running as well as you can with an out of the box MP performance unit you are mistaken. With that said they are still a good although outdated unit that just needs to to be adjusted for your application. Big mistake IMHO was why not just include spring kit, mechanical adjustment info. and instructions with initial purchase of distributor instead of receiving a set piece you expect to run with no issues.

Oldschoolcuda

I wasn't aware of this issue with the 99 and up mopar distributers, I have one of these distributers with the Mallory style mechanical advance mechanism. I did however take it out in exchange for a curved and phased distributer from don at fbo systems.
I noticed the mechanical advance mechanism is different in don's mopar distributers, it is more like the older stock mopar distributers. I was thinking of sending don my newer mopar distributer with the Mallory mechanical advance set up, to have him curve and phase it, and I was thinking about dropping it in my engine and use don's as a spare, but after reading this I think I will keep don's and use the 99 and up distributer as the back up.

pjc, How is your FBO rebuilt dist treating you?? Does it run nice or worse after the re-fabulation?

I am seriously considering sending him a BB factory low mile unit for phasing and curving for our 4200# car.

Thx.

I wasn't aware of this issue with the 99 and up mopar distributers, I have one of these distributers with the Mallory style mechanical advance mechanism. I did however take it out in exchange for a curved and phased distributer from don at fbo systems.
I noticed the mechanical advance mechanism is different in don's mopar distributers, it is more like the older stock mopar distributers. I was thinking of sending don my newer mopar distributer with the Mallory mechanical advance set up, to have him curve and phase it, and I was thinking about dropping it in my engine and use don's as a spare, but after reading this I think I will keep don's and use the 99 and up distributer as the back up.

Bill,

Which HEI dist are you referring to?

Thx.

I think the $45 HEI distributor has a better pickup design. Similar to GM's "small cap" and later Ford distributors, it has multiple pickup fingers all around the reluctor. It seems that would correct for any shaft wobble. Many on here state "Chinese junk", with no basis. As a proud American, I can say that U.S. junk can compete with the best Chinese junk, and much of ours has fancy after-market labels and high prices. Our genius is in marketing junk to the world. If the Chinese were as smart, their stuff would be red (like MSD) or yellow (like Accel).

I bought a mopar distributer from Don at fbo systems, I paid 170.00 for it I believe.
He set it up to have 18 degrees of mechanical advance. And the Vaccum advance he puts on them adds 14 degrees of timing. I dropped it in and set my initial timing to 16 degrees and that of course puts my total timing at 34 degrees. Then I plugged the vaccum advance into a full manifold port on my carburetor and the vaccum advance adds 14 degrees of timing at idle to my 16 degrees of initial for a total of 30 degrees at idle. The only problem I have had with this distributer that I purchased from don is that the pick up coil was starting to go out after about a year.
My engine wouldn't start, and I traced the problem to the pick up coil, because I could wiggle the pick up wires and then it would fire up. So I bought a new pick up coil from car quest and installed it. And I have not had any more problems with it.
I think he knows what he is doing when it comes to the mopar distributers, And I think he gives a good deal on phasing and re-curving them. Only 80.00 bucks, and in my opinion it's well worth 80 bucks to know your distributer is phased and curved correctly.

when i first installed my MP Mallory unit it added 28 degrees of mech. advance and was all in at 1800 rpm.I had some detonation problems but am at 9.4 static compression with iron heads.I changed springs and mech advance a few times and settled at full advance of 22 mech.all in at 2800 with 13 initial and like the way it runs.
i am careful with fuel choice

-
Back