Mr Gasket Vertigate question.

-
I agree with @j par . I have had both on the Street and a few others as well and can concur that the fact is that the Mr.Gasket V-Gate is a quick stick in any acceleration contest but after the novelty wears off, the truth sets in, that is in fact NOT well suited to spirited street driving and it can get you into big trouble real quick.

By far the Short handle Mr.Gasket Bang! shifter is a far far better street shifter. Set up right, it is a real pleasure up/down/sideways/whatever always snicking where I need it to go.
Finally I got something to agree on with @j par

Btw, Turk
I understood j par exactly. which doesn't happen every time.
I read the words as he spoke them, NOT as you understood them.
Gotta love English.

Drag race is a “race” no? So I didn’t change your words one bit. You might have struggled with it, but it’s a simple device. I can’t say why you struggle to downshift with one. It’s no more difficult than an H pattern shifter.

Reverse is pretty simple too.

I don’t get the struggle.
LOL... I "struggled" now you say...
Stay "in the clouds"...
Simple device you say...
Enjoy your shifter , you want to argue with someone and I'm not interested...

OOOOOO
I think, that might be my second red X in nearly 9 years, and it comes from what looks to be a newbe. Funny, I think the first one came from j par, lol
looks like yur starting out pretty hot!
not looking for friends that's for sure.

You gotta save yur RedXs for more serious disagreements.
I mean who slams this card down on something so trivial?
when a simple, "I disagree" would suffice.
I guess yur not married then, eh?
or are you on wife #3 already.
Have you visited the N&P forum yet?
Oh boy, we're in for a treat.

Oh I hear ya... When I wanted one I had to have it and there was no stopping me LOL... I loved it and thought it was the coolest until it wasn't LOL....
That is a perfect description of my experience with the one I had.
Edit: it was a really good shifter going up thru the gears, not so good going down. That's not what it was intended to do. It did have a big hole in the floor.
I had a Hurst comp plus at the same time, both cars primarily street use. I much preferred the Hurst.

Last edited:
OOOOOO
I think, that might be my second red X in nearly 9 years, and it comes from what looks to be a newbe. Funny, I think the first one came from j par, lol
looks like yur starting out pretty hot!
not looking for friends that's for sure.

You gotta save yur RedXs for more serious disagreements.
I mean who slams this card down on something so trivial?
when a simple, "I disagree" would suffice.
I guess yur not married then, eh?
or are you on wife #3 already.
Have you visited the N&P forum yet?
Oh boy, we're in for a treat.

Just not going to argue with guys who can’t drive a simple in-line shifter. If that hurts your feelings you can PM me your address and I’ll send you a teddy bear.

I can drive an in-line shifter anywhere. Done it for years. Its pretty simple.

To downshift from 4th to 3rd you push the lever forward. Seems simple to me. To downshift from 3rd to 2nd or even 1st you pull the lever half way back (not unlike an H pattern shifter) pick up the lock up bar and either pull the handle back (for 2nd) or push the lever forward for 1st.

That’s about as basic as it gets. The only gymnastics required is you have to pull the lock out bar up. If that trips you up you are in luck. GM made powerglides for folks like you.

I’m done discussing this. I’ve explained myself as clear as I can. These shifters are not hard to drive. Not much harder to drive than an H pattern shifter unless you just can’t use a finger or maybe two to lift up a lever.

If you can’t do it it’s not the end of the world. Most guys don’t need a third pedal. You may be the example of that.

Nobody, not one of us that owned one said we can't drive it, and we ******* know how it works, we don't need a second grade tutorial from you. We just prefer something that works better.
And my powerglide car is faster than your v-gate.

Nobody, not one of us that owned one said we can't drive it, and we ******* know how it works, we don't need a second grade tutorial from you. We just prefer something that works better.
Are you sure about that?

Do you have any idea which Mr Gasket shifter this is RB? The shifts are nice and short, but I can’t find any info on it.

View attachment 1716086779

View attachment 1716086780
I have a hurst super shifter like that.

Same rods as a Verti gate I believe.

There was a guy on Ebay that used to sell the rods for these that are like the one j par talked about with heim joints.

You can also buy the material and build your own from Speedway.

I have a V gate template for the A body mount.

I agree with j par and others here about being a pain in the *** on the street but I do have one in my 57 and it will not be going anywhere.

Fast shifter especially if you are slick shifting.

Do you have any idea which Mr Gasket shifter this is RB? The shifts are nice and short, but I can’t find any info on it.

View attachment 1716086779

View attachment 1716086780
This looks very much like the Mr.Gasket, Bang! shifter that has been on all my stick cars since the very early 70s; except as I recall, mine does not have the over-shift stoppers. It now reside in my 68 Cuda-clone.

I have a longtail on my Commando-box with a GVod behind it, which I often use as a Gear-Splitter. I moved that short-stick shifter waaay back between the buckets, then raised it high enough so that the top pivot bolt can be installed from inside the cabin, then moved the whole thing over to my thigh.
Then I fabbed up some new shift-rods out of some 1/2inch cold rolled steel tubing. Finally, I street-slick-shifted Second and Third, old-school style.
Properly set up, you will never tire of that shifter. Which is why mine has been in near continuous use since 1971.
and no, it's not for sale, lol.

I would spend money on a face plate conversion before trying to be fonzi at the car show with my fancy shifter.

If you cant row an H pattern get something with a torque converter. Just one guy's opinion (that actually races a 4 speed car).

FB_IMG_1690945863519.jpg

If your powerglide is faster it means you might not be a good stick driver.

Why all the butthurt? Inline shifters work great if you can use a TV remote or a Bic lighter.

You and a couple of others don’t like them. Or in your words you want something that “works better”. Got it.

What this does is discourages people from taking a simple device that works very well and not using it, because as jpar says and the other guy agrees that it’s a “racing” shifter.

And all I did was disagree. That started all this bullshit. Grow the **** up.

In-line shifters are great shifters if both your ball dropped and you have some hair on your ***.

If not, there are options out there.

I would spend money on a face plate conversion before trying to be fonzi at the car show with my fancy shifter.

If you cant row an H pattern get something with a torque converter. Just one guy's opinion (that actually races a 4 speed car).

View attachment 1716164709

I actually race stick cars. And I can get through an H pattern shifter pretty fair. I prefer in-line shifters and I laugh at all the crybabies who want stick classes with H pattern shifters. Evidently some guys think there is an advantage to an in-line shifter. I do not. I like the way they operate better than an H pattern.

Simple as that.

If your powerglide is faster it means you might not be a good stick driver.

Why all the butthurt? Inline shifters work great if you can use a TV remote or a Bic lighter.

You and a couple of others don’t like them. Or in your words you want something that “works better”. Got it.

What this does is discourages people from taking a simple device that works very well and not using it, because as jpar says and the other guy agrees that it’s a “racing” shifter.

And all I did was disagree. That started all this bullshit. Grow the **** up.

In-line shifters are great shifters if both your ball dropped and you have some hair on your ***.

If not, there are options out there.

They are more trouble than they are worth. You miss a shift because of timing the shifter/clutch actuation incorrectly. Not because of the 2-3 gate.

They are more trouble than they are worth. You miss a shift because of timing the shifter/clutch actuation incorrectly. Not because of the 2-3 gate.

Thanks for the driving lesson. Much appreciated. I just don’t get what “trouble” they are.

This is why I just give the red X. I didn’t want a discussion. I disagreed. Now look at this **** show.

Maybe (and I say this in all sincerity) you ought to make a video discussing shifters and shifting clutch cars so Luddites such as myself could learn these things.

I know I’d watch your lessons.

I like the V-gate. Had it since '80. IMO, it does tend to be a little more work and can be tiresome, especially on the street. The handle can be a bit of a reach for some. The gate finger lift setup does not present itself well ergonomically for many. Add to that, the separate reverse shift procedure kind makes you want to park where you don't need to use it.

Other than that, it's one fine piece of equipment............................. and I'm not looking to off it anytime soon!:steering:

1699624914456.png

You have the wrong guy for social media content.

For the record I am good with the disagreement. Everyone has different tastes, mine being utilitarian.

The trouble I speak of is extra installation fab. I see these shifters as being an overly complex solution is all.

So...I will offer any members in person instruction from the passenger seat of one of our 4 stick cars. I can rip an inland shifter pretty good. The gts has a Hurst comp plus and it is tight unlike the inland. My red 66 has a g force gf5r and if you want to get really lazy the black 66 has a Lenco 4 speed. All of that for $49.95 !

That's a good discount off of my normal rate.

1699628384321448707357467668047.jpg

I like the V-gate. Had it since '80. IMO, it does tend to be a little more work and can be tiresome, especially on the street. The handle can be a bit of a reach for some. The gate finger lift setup does not present itself well ergonomically for many. Add to that, the separate reverse shift procedure kind makes you want to park where you don't need to use it.

Other than that, it's one fine piece of equipment............................. and I'm not looking to off it anytime soon!:steering:

View attachment 1716164796

You are grandfathered in lol. They do have a cool look about them.

When H pattern ergonomics is right, there is no V-gate advantage. For me the deciding factor was my H pattern shifter is lighter than a V-gate. I also tightened the slider travel distance up when I installed my faceplates, only 2" total throw distance at the shift knob :)

faceplatedtoploader750w.jpg

Here's the slider travel distance you get when Liberty faceplates your Toploader to match the stock detent notches in the shift rails...

liberty22.jpg

Grant

Last edited:
You have the wrong guy for social media content.

For the record I am good with the disagreement. Everyone has different tastes, mine being utilitarian.

The trouble I speak of is extra installation fab. I see these shifters as being an overly complex solution is all.

So...I will offer any members in person instruction from the passenger seat of one of our 4 stick cars. I can rip an inland shifter pretty good. The gts has a Hurst comp plus and it is tight unlike the inland. My red 66 has a g force gf5r and if you want to get really lazy the black 66 has a Lenco 4 speed. All of that for $49.95 !

That's a good discount off of my normal rate.

View attachment 1716164819

I agree, it’s not a bolt on installation. Other than that, they are not hard to drive. I guess it’s because I’ve done it so long it’s natural to me.

BTW, I’ve been so hard up a couple of times I drag raced a 3 on the tree. Got through that box and shifter pretty well.

I also used to power shift the shop truck in high school. Until the teacher went with us to pick up some parts. He put the stop to that. It was a truck box.

When H pattern ergonomics is right, there is no V-gate advantage. For me the deciding factor was my H pattern shifter is lighter than a V-gate. I also tightened the slider travel distance up when I installed my faceplates, only 2" total throw distance at the shift knob :)

View attachment 1716164834

Here's the slider travel distance you get when Liberty faceplates your Toploader to match the stock detent notches in the shift rails...

View attachment 1716164842

Grant

I don’t think the discussion was ever about an advantage. I’m pretty sure I said (if I didn’t I will say it now because it needs to be said) that the guys whining that in-line shifters shouldn’t be allowed and have H pattern shifters only is just bad policy.

Evidently some guys think there is an advantage. There isn’t. I just prefer in-line shifters and they are not harder to drive than an H pattern.

They are a bit of a pain to mount, which is why I prefer the Ram Rod over the Vertigate. The shifter isn’t much bigger than an H pattern shifter.

Since I can fabricate that doesn’t bother me.

I worked for Al's Auto Supply back in the 70's, the chain sponsored Hank Johnson at the time. We had a Mr Gasket shifter display over by the speed parts wall, always someone over there banging gears with the V-gate. Displays like that were a big part of the speed shop atmosphere at the time :)

Grant

I worked for Al's Auto Supply back in the 70's, the chain sponsored Hank Johnson at the time. We had a Mr Gasket shifter display over by the speed parts wall, always someone over there banging gears with the V-gate. Displays like that were a big part of the speed shop atmosphere at the time :)

Grant
Haven't seen ya post in a while.. always nice to have your experience weigh in...

-
Back