MSD Blaster 2 Coil Arcing

Electrical and Ignition

1. jrcr_15

jrcr_15 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:48 AM
    I am really late in the game getting my car fired up before winter. Been a busy year!

Anyways, I noticed that the MSD Blaster 2 coil was arcing off the orange wire.

A bit of background, I switched my car over to Fitech FI last year and when doing so I removed and bypassed the voltage regulator as part of the installation to feed the Fitech's 'white wire'.

My question is, could the coil be arcing because of this or is the coil junk? It is over 17 years old. Connections are nice and tight.

Thoughts?

2. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    4:48 AM
    Could be a broken plug or open coil wire, damaged rotor etc in other words something in the high voltage end allowing voltage to go sky high

Could be a cracked coil tower insulator

• Agree Agree x 1
    • yellow rose

yellow rose Doctor of Thinkology.

Local Time:
      4:48 AM
      Those were never a very good coil to begin with. Find something different and go for it.

• TrailBeast

TrailBeast Slightly Twisted Member

Local Time:
      5:48 AM
      I have seen plug wires or coil wires either one burn the center core out and do this.
      Same thing Del mentioned as an "open" wire, just different words.:D

• AJ/FormS

AJ/FormS 68 B'cuda fb, Form S clone ... 367/A833/3.55s FABO Gold Member

South-Central Manitoba,Canada, 900ftelevation
      Local Time:
      6:48 AM
      If you are using a CDI box, you need a CDI coil. If you use a regular 12 volt coil which normally has a voltage input of about 8 volts... and you drive it with 525v from the CDI,which is 44 times higher; then the output could (I guess) be similarly 44 times as high, and I think no wires are gonna put up with voltages as high as that might calculate to.

I have powered up a CDI coil with the regular 8 volt Kettering system, and that didn't work out for me either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.