MSD digital E curve dizzy setup questions?

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
So the way this distributor is set up is weird. The directions are confusing the way to set up the advance curve. I wasn't sure if someone else had any input on the settings. I set it up on start lockout which is roughly 15 degrees initial but am confused on how to adjust the pots. Do you time it at total degrees advanced at idle then the processor takes timing out or what? Not real clear so any help is much appreciated.

I have one. It's confusing. Then you get and it seemed easy....but now I'm foggy how I got it first started.

Now that it's set up you basically you set total advance and go backwards. Like... if you want 32 total= 10 initial, 22 mechanical. Pick a 22 deg mech curve. Rev motor past your mech rpm curve and set 32 degrees timing. Now you have 10 initial.

Lets say you want to change that to 15 initial but want to keep 32 total. Well, that leaves 17 mechanical. So you pick a 17 mechanical curve on your instruction tables. Set the two dials to pick that 17 mechanical curve. Now you have 15 initial and 17 mechanical. BUT you don't move the distributor at all. (unless you need move it to get the cap off).

Yea it's *** backwards so far as what I've gathered. Fires up real nice on the box just gotta figure the right combo of the pot adjustment and actual dizzy position. The theory behind it is cool but just weird from what is " normal " lol

I do not have a system, but I read the instructions several months ago. The design is a mess from a user standpoint, and the instructions are poor.

Here are some hints: There are initial settings that are used to get the engine started and set the base timing. Once that is done, settings need to be done to set the desired curve. It is good idea to verify all that you do, with a timing light.

All the above is necessary because the desired timing, is done by retarding timing from a maximum advance setting.

I would call MSD and bug the heck out of them, they deserve it.

There is a better way, for electronic advance ignition design, but that is another story.

-
Back