MSD Digital E Curve help

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
Does anyone have one and has anyone have any helpful insight on their setup curves? I'm still tinkering with mine but could use any tips I can get. I have the curve locked out right now and the chart can be a bit confusing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Im Tinkering With Mine Too Just Cannot Get A Handle On It , Because I Had Blown Head gasket Issues Andf Two Cracked Heads Have Since Fitted Edelbrock Rpm Heads, I know it did not like the 20% Curve, Im Currently Sitting on 5 and 2 on the dials but The Thing Does not Rev Feel Retarted ?????????????,

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6lFO_ErghE"]V8TV Tech How to Set Your MSD Digital E-Curve Distributor Video - YouTube[/ame]

What's the engine want for initial and total.

A little math and where the curve is all in.

If you aren't running vacuum advance, 5/2 is the same as switch positions 1/2, 3/2, 7/2 or 9/2.

WOW, they sure make setting timing difficult! If you set a 20* curve and want 35 total, time it at idle for 15* and it will magically be just like locking it out and backing the curve in. Sheesh.

With Standard Msd Dizzy My Engine Was Happy @ !2 -15 % Initial No Vac Advance, Yes I know You Dial In Your Total By Rotating The Dizzy At Idle, Then selecting The Curve But Which One??

I've got one that I'm going to be setting up soon, so I'll be following this thread.

I just read on the Summit site in customer reviews that people are complaining that these distributors come clocked wrong from the factory and you have to set your wires to match or move the gear on your shaft to get it to point at number one. Just another thing to complicate the installation.

Just Fitted Ede Rpm heads , Had Auto Sparky Check My Electrics , Found earthing Issues or Should I say The Lack of A Good Earth Have Remedied That Problem Now I Can Start Again Setting The E curve Up. With Alloy Heads Do I Need less Timing ??? Another Question If I lock out the Curve does it matter Which Dial Iput the 1 and the 7 Thanx

With Standard Msd Dizzy My Engine Was Happy @ !2 -15 % Initial No Vac Advance, Yes I know You Dial In Your Total By Rotating The Dizzy At Idle, Then selecting The Curve But Which One??

Like was said before...

Figure out your total timing without pinging. Something like 32-36.

If you want 12 degree initial and 32 total... pick a 20 degree curve. Rev your car past the rpm of the curve you picked and set it at 32. Now double check to see if your initial is at 12 degree at idle (32 deg minus 20 deg equals 12 deg initial). You're done.

Like was said before...

Figure out your total timing without pinging. Something like 32-36.

If you want 12 degree initial and 32 total... pick a 20 degree curve. Rev your car past the rpm of the curve you picked and set it at 32. Now double check to see if your initial is at 12 degree at idle (32 deg minus 20 deg equals 12 deg initial). You're done.

Thanx For that Went To The Drag Strip This Weekend Locked Out Curve Dialed in Total On Crank Still does not want to Perform Have Checked everything Else Issues Keeo coming back to Electrics Dizzy Etc , IIt Simply wont Rev

I've got one that I'm going to be setting up soon, so I'll be following this thread.

I just read on the Summit site in customer reviews that people are complaining that these distributors come clocked wrong from the factory and you have to set your wires to match or move the gear on your shaft to get it to point at number one. Just another thing to complicate the installation.

Same as with any other MSD SB mopar distributor, the tang does not line up with the rotor like MP distributors. Dropping the drive gear and lining it up with #1 intake bolt won't work. Look how the tang orients with the rotor tip and set the drive gear so you get it right. It's not hard. :)

Thanx For that Went To The Drag Strip This Weekend Locked Out Curve Dialed in Total On Crank Still does not want to Perform Have Checked everything Else Issues Keeo coming back to Electrics Dizzy Etc , IIt Simply wont Rev

Does it idle ok?

Does it just cut out and high RPM? Could the Rev Limiter be set wrong?

Mine didn't want to even idle at first. Turns out the MSD Solid State coil was not compatible with the E-Curve. I put in a MSD oil filled coil and been working fine.

Does it idle ok?

Does it just cut out and high RPM? Could the Rev Limiter be set wrong?

Mine didn't want to even idle at first. Turns out the MSD Solid State coil was not compatible with the E-Curve. I put in a MSD oil filled coil and been working fine.

Yes Idle Drives On The Street Fine At 100 Kph or 60 MPh Grunty as up To 3500 rpm on the street, Yes I Am Running a HVC Coil PN 8252 Just The Small Writing On The Coil base Says Only Use With 6AL Ignitions That Must Be The answer

Yes Idle Drives On The Street Fine At 100 Kph or 60 MPh Grunty as up To 3500 rpm on the street, Yes I Am Running a HVC Coil PN 8252 Just The Small Writing On The Coil base Says Only Use With 6AL Ignitions That Must Be The answer

Just grab a known good regular low performance old oil filled coil and test it. That what MSD said to try first. It worked for me fine. Then I went and got a MSD Blaster II

Just grab a known good regular low performance old oil filled coil and test it. That what MSD said to try first. It worked for me fine. Then I went and got a MSD Blaster II

Just Hooked Up An Old Bosch Coil Temporarily as I Need An HeI coil Tower Or A New HT Lead

It sounds Better Already,

Ok Guys Just Pulled My E Curve 8504 And Compared it To a New one , The Quality between the 2 of them was so Different ,

My one I pulled from the engine had heaps of Shaft Float , Where the new one had minimal

Also The Quality of The Welding Finish on the top of the shaft on the new one was far Better Quality , Also the one that was in the engine had a Yellow Circuit Board Probably from engine heat, and showed signs of wear where it enters the pump drive ,

Not Sure If I would Purchase another????????

That's not good news. My buddy thinks that the whole distributor is a joke and that printed circuit board is going to leave us waiting for a tow truck at some point. When I bought it, it was only $20 more than the regular billet MSD distributor, so I figured what the hell?!? I know that there are several other members here who are running them successfully so I guess we'll just see what happens.

That's not good news. My buddy thinks that the whole distributor is a joke and that printed circuit board is going to leave us waiting for a tow truck at some point. When I bought it, it was only $20 more than the regular billet MSD distributor, so I figured what the hell?!? I know that there are several other members here who are running them successfully so I guess we'll just see what happens.

Once I Got All My Battery Up To Scratch fitted it with the correct coil, Dialed My Curve in at * and 2 took it to the Drags Car ran 13s

:cheers::cheers::cheers: for all the advise

Glad you got it figured out and are happy. I just bought one and will be putting it in a 360. I am curious as to how you chose your curve? What factors did you consider? Is it just trial and error?

Glad you got it figured out and are happy. I just bought one and will be putting it in a 360. I am curious as to how you chose your curve? What factors did you consider? Is it just trial and error?

Its Easy , I made It Very Hard For Myself , Simple You Need say 34% total . so you need to find the balance I selected 20% curve non Vacum advance, so that left me 14% static and engine loves it

Remember set up you total on the crank pulley at idle

-
Back