MSD help pls!

-

Brian c

Reaction score
So I was trying to bench start my engine and just before it went to fire up I lost all fire. I did the msd troubleshooting test and had nothing when I tapped the green and violet wires together I had no fire ( thats the way ill have it wired) when I did the other test and unplugged the green and violet wires and test with grounding the white wire it worked, I had spark.

So I know that my coil and dizzy are fine. I was just wondering if anyone ever had there msd box do this to them? It works if I test it like im using points but doesn't if I have it setup to receive a signal for a pickup. Any input is appreciated! Oh, I ohmed out the green and violet wires and know for sure that they are fine.

Is this one of the older capacitive discharge box,or a newer digital box? Let's start there.....

Voltage & ground connection's,need to be checked.The digital part,should be less finicky on connections.

If you've downloaded the MSD destructions and carefully read the destructions, checked all connections etc, then it just about either has to be the trigger or the box. Does this have a "white wire?" Does the box trigger off that?

Ive read the book and have done all the test. My dizzy has a magnetic pickup so thats how I had it wired and it didn't worked. So I did the test with using the white wire to trigger the system and i have spark. When i test the system using the green and violet wires there is no spark.

No reason why not. Seems to me that "for the price of these" there's a fair amount of failures.

Was it an ebay MSD box? I saw a photo of a Chinese knock-off that had an almost empty box with just a GM HEI module inside. A cheap fake, though even that should spark off a Mopar electronic distributor if the pickup works and has the correct gap. Try removing the distributor and spinning by hand. Look real close at the "double bullet" connector. Not all are identical and compatible. Are both yours factory ones that were on your car?

it was a bad MSD box. i guess it is possible for them to half fail.

Call Pat at TechWest Racing. He can more than likely fix it and he can upgrade it if you want as well. Don't send it back to MSD. They will put the cheapest parts they can back in it. Pat will put in quality parts. He used to work for MSD so he knows what they put in them and how they can be improved. He's building me a 6A box now that will tromp any new 6A or 6AL off the shelf at a lower cost.

It definitely isnt a fake but that is crazy that they are doing that.

Thanks info! I was considering buying a new box and attempting to repair this one myself and using it as a spare. I opened it up and it looks pretty straight forward ( have lots of electronic experience) we'll see how it goes I guess.

-
Back