MSD help

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK, So am hooking my MSD 6AL up and so far I ran the orange and black harness to my MSD coil. Then I have a heavy black and a heavy red which instructions say Red to positive battery and black no negative battery. Am I assuming these actually go on my solenoid next to the battery?? Then the gray is for a tach (autometer) which I have in the dash. That leaves a small red which I understand gets spliced together with the two ballast resistor wires when I eliminate the ballast resistor. . I also should say that I am running an MSD ready to run distributor. So I understand I am to dispose of the mopar orange box and dispose of the ballast resistor. Onboard wiring is a 72 Demon 340 car.

I m running a similar set up on my demon. Don t have it plumbed in all the way yet either but the directions seemed pretty straight forward. Someone on here has experience with this i m sure. Good luck

please post the part number of that msd distributor...some ready to run distributors do not require an external control box like the msd 6

please post the part number of that msd distributor...some ready to run distributors do not require an external control box like the msd 6
It is a Pro Billet Ready to run part number 8388. I believe MSD told me it can run without the 6AL but I chose to use the 6AL and eliminate the mopar orange box. Hopefully my thinking was correct???

OK, So am hooking my MSD 6AL up and so far I ran the orange and black harness to my MSD coil. Then I have a heavy black and a heavy red which instructions say Red to positive battery and black no negative battery. Am I assuming these actually go on my solenoid next to the battery?? Then the gray is for a tach (autometer) which I have in the dash. That leaves a small red which I understand gets spliced together with the two ballast resistor wires when I eliminate the ballast resistor. . I also should say that I am running an MSD ready to run distributor. So I understand I am to dispose of the mopar orange box and dispose of the ballast resistor. Onboard wiring is a 72 Demon 340 car.

yes...you do away with the orange box and ballast resistor......as you said..the two wires are connected together then connected to the small red wire for the msd ......on the coil..you need to remove or not use any of the existing wires that come from the orange box..

The heavy red and black wire you asked about need to see battery voltage at all times. They are to be unswitched.You can run the red one through a heavy duty relay or solenoid, but keep in mind the current draw of the MSD, and size your relay and supply-cable accordingly.
I think MSD supplies specific instructions for wiring those electronic ignition Mopes.
When you bridge the start and run wires together, you will be sending power down to the starter relay,full-time, whenever the engine is running. That means every time the shifter passes through Neutral or Park, the starter will engage. Or if you have a M/T, the starter will engage, every time you step on the clutch. So the start circuit will need to be modded. Check the instruction pkg very closely.

Last edited:
If you a factory tach that is in your dash you need a MSD tach adaptor or you will fry the tach

The heavy red and black wire you asked about need to see battery voltage at all times. They are to be unswitched.You can run the red one through a heavy duty relay or solenoid, but keep in mind the current draw of the MSD, and size your relay and supply-cable accordingly.
I think MSD supplies specific instructions for wiring those electronic ignition Mopes.
When you bridge the start and run wires together, you will be sending power down to the starter relay,full-time, whenever the engine is running. That means every time the shifter passes through Neutral or Park, the starter will engage. Or if you have a M/T, the starter will engage, every time you step on the clutch. So the start circuit will need to be modded. Check the instruction pkg very closely.

So I should run the heavy black and red directly to the battery posts??? Won't that be a constant draw on the battery or does the box have internal wiring to prevent that??

you can run the heavy red wire to the starter relay switch...and the black wire needs to go to a good ground.....no it will not draw on the battery...the small red wire turns the msd unit on and off...

-
Back