MSD-How are you guys hooking up your ON-OFF switched wire ?

-

Blue Grey Duster

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I'm hooking up the small red wire on my Digital 6. It's responsible for turning the MSD ON and OFF. Do you guys like the switch or ignition key better ?

I like to control my electronics with separate switches

Relay... have the original switch provide the switching power for a relay. Have a dedicated power supply to the relay. Will eliminate a whole lot of problems. Don't forget to put a fuse in the system. I found that the blade style fuse holders make the best contact and are reasonably priced.
ignition5.jpg

Seperate circuit,with dedicated fuse and hidden toggle switch.Take power from starter relay stud.

Man, You guys got me going now. Thanks for the ideas. I was just about to cancel this question, when the real racers showed up. You Guys!

Rocket got me thinking his way and I was wondering about possible voltage drop through the switch when rob-robinson87 jumped in and cleared that up and Abodybomber added another good idea all in 15 minutes. It's been a long dormant day.

Thanks for your thoughts, time, and the great pic.

now i understood this as the small switch red wire correct??

if so just hook it up to the original coil + wire and bypass the ballast resistor...

then

solder a lead to reach the starter relay stud for the Thick red Power Feed wire...

I used the Coil wire from the Ballast resistor like Kid said for the "Switched" power lead. I also run the main(Thick) power lead to the battery side stud on the solenoid and fused it with a 30 amp fuse and fuse holder at the stud. Once inside the car I added a 30 amp circuit breaker about 5 inches from the MSD mounted on the passenger kick panel. My BTM is the same way but has its own dedicated main(Thick) lead with fuse and circuit breaker. It too is mounted on the kick panel.

I have it wired up with a relay like Rob and Abomber but in reality that wire pulls less power than the original coil did so hooking it to the factory ignition switch wire that goes to the coil is just fine as long as all the wiring is in good shape. The big red and black wires coming out of the box that go directly to the battery are what pulls all the current. I only ran mine the way I did so I could have a hidden kill switch to use like a theft prevention system.

This is where problems starts and everything go's hay wire.It is a power wire,the only thing it does is turn the box on Thats it.I see all kind of problems in hear about MSD and now I can see why.You don't reinvent the wheel.

if so just hook it up to the original coil + wire and bypass the ballast resistor...
then
solder a lead to reach the starter relay stud for the Thick red Power Feed wire...

I used the Coil wire from the Ballast resistor like Kid said for the "Switched" power lead. I also run the main(Thick) power lead to the battery side stud on the solenoid and fused it with a 30 amp fuse and fuse holder at the stud..

This is where problems starts and everything go's hay wire.It is a power wire,the only thing it does is turn the box on Thats it.I see all kind of problems in hear about MSD and now I can see why.You don't reinvent the wheel.

All of the above.

IT IS GOOD to install a relay triggered by your original "ignition run" circuit, especially if you have other switched circuits on that wire The relay, however, has nothing to do with "MSD or not."

The switched wire is a LOW CURRENT "trigger wire" just like a relay.

Hook the thing up to either "ignition run" or to your "ignition run relay" and forget about it.

Only reason to run an ignition wire through a separate toggle is something like anti theft

then

X2. That is what I did for mine. Works perfectly.

The ignition switch will turn the box off.The Digital 6 has a anti theft built in it. Like I said re inventing the wheel for what.
All of the above.

IT IS GOOD to install a relay triggered by your original "ignition run" circuit, especially if you have other switched circuits on that wire The relay, however, has nothing to do with "MSD or not."

The switched wire is a LOW CURRENT "trigger wire" just like a relay.

Hook the thing up to either "ignition run" or to your "ignition run relay" and forget about it.

Only reason to run an ignition wire through a separate toggle is something like anti theft

Yup. I was speaking in more general terms, like those running Mopar/ GM modules

Highly intelligent individual here!

O' yeah, they did reinvent the wheel!!

Attachments

• 11wheel.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 325
Highly intelligent individual here!

O' yeah, they did reinvent the wheel!!

Well, that goofy wheel isn't going to work. Nope, not at all. You know why? Because if we all had those wheels, nobody could b!+*h about how ugly "the other guys" wheels are and how they don't like them. lol

The small red wire turns a relay on and off inside the MSD box. To use another relay to turn that relay on and off is adding another potential point of failure and reduced reliability with no benefit.

My recommendation would be to follow the MSD instructions and connect to the power wire to the coil from the ballast and then jumper out the ballast to eliminate a failure point (the MSD will work fine if you leave the ballast in).

Hey it's good to see the different ways to hook this thing up. Reinventing the wheel is good if you can compare and choose what's best. A lot of good information. Security is a good idea.
Some of you guys are pretty funny, which makes it nice.

You guys came through.

From what I've found out, The MSD tech line isn't so hot and the knife blade fittings they supply for your connections are pure junk. Hope you guys threw that stuff away. With the digital 6, a better overall design would be helpful for installation, and with the wires coming out of one end, instead of it looking like an octopus.

I'm also getting rid of my ammeter, and doing the Mad Electric thing, and updating my alternator wiring while I'm at it. The previous owner obviously had a problem at the connector. I'm sure you guys already know about it.
But for those who don't ! http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Thanks again, you guys are the best. This site is a good place to be.

-
Back