MUFFLER OPINIONS

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
I am going to do the exhaust system on my 67 barracuda here soon. I am not sure on what for mufflers to use. I had flowmasters on a 68 dart that i once had & i didnt like the sound at certain RPMs. It was to crackly for me. I am going to be putting the mufflers at the factory locations for an A body with duel exhaust. Also not to mention im on a budget. I have a pair of new mufflers off an B body. They are the ones that came on 440 & hemi cars. I am going with 2 1/2 pipes. I have TTI headers.

I have the cheap Summit welded on my Ford truck, Gladys and I think they sound good as can be.

IF you can get the b-body hemi mufflers under your Cuda, I'd use them.
Otherwise, some sort of triple pass turbo, with full 2 1/2 thru tubing.
If you are after max power, more noise not a problem, then something like a dynomax ultraflow.

Last edited:
I recently put Magnaflows on my Red 340 Challenger... Absolutely hated them... Sounded like glasspacks... Backrapping terrible... I was ready to cut them off & toss them... But decided I wanted to try a crossover first.... Completely changed the sound... No backrap at all.. They actually sound really good... I kinda wonder if a crossover would help s lot of the flowmaster systems that people don't care for....

I recently put Magnaflows on my Red 340 Challenger... Absolutely hated them... Sounded like glasspacks... Backrapping terrible... I was ready to cut them off & toss them... But decided I wanted to try a crossover first.... Completely changed the sound... No backrap at all.. They actually sound really good... I kinda wonder if a crossover would help s lot of the flowmaster systems that people don't care for....
Ford had great success with them from the factory on the Fox body cars. They all had factory crossovers too.

I love the sound of a Flowmaster equipped car from outside. The reverberation and rumble, the cackle....
From inside though, it does wear on you.
I had them for 12 years or more. I made a couple 1000 mile road trips with them in the car and even though I didn't get that "drone" that people speak of, the sound just wore on me.
I have Welded Ultra Flo mufflers now.
They are great on the freeway but are way too tame for me it idle or under throttle. Many people like them. Maybe I am just hard to please. I want something with more of a crisp sound so I can hear the crackle of the cam.

I have Flowmaster 44s and rectangle Flowmaster tips on one of my cars with a H pipe crossover.
It is quite loud maybe a bit too loud for my tastes, but there is no droning at any speed.
You can really hear the cam with this set up.
Another car I have has the Summit brand turbo mufflers (their header back kit) with 2 1/2'' stainless rectangle tips from PG Classics and it is a lot quieter than the first car, but it drones at about 2,000 to 2,500 RPM and it does not have a crossover or balance tube installed.
You can hear the cam pretty good when you are behind the car.
My third car has just an unknown brand of turbo mufflers and factory rectangle exhaust tips with no crossover or H pipe or anything special and it is fairly quiet with no droning and is fairly quiet while driving.
From the back, it sounds good for a stock cammed 318.

To answer the O.P.'s question, I would go with the mufflers you have if they fit your car or go with turbo mufflers of whatever brand you can find, but use a balance tube and exhaust tips.
The one thing I will add is that our old Mopars sound a lot better with the factory style exhaust tips than without them...

Last edited:
I run the Black Widow Race Venom mufflers and love them. I would spend some time on YouTube though to get an idea of what sounds good to YOU.

Whose doing the work? What's your priority? Where are the tailpipes coming from ?
All that plays into the muffler length inlet and outlet sizes and offset that will fit well.
Tailpipes on '67 are bit tricky. they exist a little over from the 68-69 and hang from underneath instead from the side of the frame rail or the other way around.
TTI hangs muffler and tailpipe from the seatbelt mounts IIRC
Accurate hangs theirs from the factory mount (you can buy the factory 383 dual exhaust mount - easy install)

Since you have the mufflers. Measure and compare. No point in buying new if what you have will fit and you think you'll be happy with them. Make sure there is clearance for the driveshaft and to the floor.

You are asking for opinion on a car we have not seen, or heard. Your choice is spend money and buy a different set and try them. Rinse, and repeat as every muffler will sound different on every car depending on cam, Cubic inch, length of pipe, stick or auto, gear ratio, terrain and tire size. So many opinions for just one car.

My 72 340 Demon 4 speed has TTI exhaust and dyno something mufflers. 3.23 gears it droned you after 1500rpm. I was going nuts driving it. I changed the gears to 3.91 and the cam and removed manifold and installed Doug headers and it’s like a whole new exhaust. Same mufflers and $1200 worth of parts LOL. Nobody predicted this.
Syleng1

I have Cherry bomb turbos on my 340 cuda. 3 inch with turn downs. I like the sound, not too loud until you stand on it. I just tried a set of black widow 250 series and it was a little too loud for me and my neighbors. Must be getting old!

I just put a set of Thrust Turbo Muffler 17715 on my Dart Sport. They were very nice.
They have a good sound and they were very affordable.
Ted

If you like sound of Flowmaster 40s but don't care for the famous Flowmaster drone, I'd look into Pypes Street Pro mufflers. They have a very similar sound, but without the drone. They also aren't the cheapest out there, but they do have a lifetime warranty and are sold by a member of this site.

If you can use what you have use them.

I’ve had many mufflers on many different cars And have to say I really like the hooker maximum Flow mufflers. Just had a set on my duster with a health sounding cam in a 402 and they sounded great at idle, not too loud, descent cruising and weren’t too loud at all but did let you know when you open it up. Only reason I replaced those is I downsized the system from 3" to 2.5" with tail pipes. i just ordered a full tti system for this car so back to dyno max again which are predicatable and good. Maybe not quite as aggressive as I may like under idle.

this car has a 451 With a 540 ish lift cam 234 ish duration, based off a 400 motor (not a 383 like the video says), tti headers and exhaust with an H pipe and the dynomax mufflers…. See if you like this sound. Sound clip starts around 7:30

I have accurate exhaust hemi magnum mufflers on my road runner and they are okay. I get drone around 1800 rpm so I don’t drive at 1800 rpm. It’s 4 speed so I can make the revs lie where I want them too.. Lol. I probably wouldn’t buy these again but wanted part numbered and correct knocked in corners on the mufflers as it’s a numbers car. You can hear these here on a walk around video of my car.

Last edited:
I just ordered the TTI system. They ship the Dynomax Superturbo mufflers if that means anything. I believe they are on the quieter side.

Stainless Borla 's
Great tone
Will sound off at WOT
Great longevity
Reasonable $80 each at mbenzgram
No drone
Very meaty sound especially with headers
I've had frequent comments about how good the sound is

Dynomax Superturbo mufflers if that means anything.
Yeah good sound, not too loud. I used TTI shorties headers on this 68 Valiant build.

IMG_2618.jpg

What my plan is to go with the TTI exhaust. Save up the money & get the pipes that go from the headers to the mufflers. Save up some more money then get the tail pipes. O & yes it will have exhaust tips. Engine 397ci. 360 8.5 comp. Dont know the cam size. It sounds nasty. I bought the engine with only a few passes on it. The guy ran a turbo. Thats why the low compression. Also it has a 4spd, 8 3/4 rear, 3:91 gears, cant remember the tire hight. They are 17s. I tried to get a price on the accurate exhaust but for some reason it wont let me. The H pipe from TTI is $271 I dont think im going to get it any cheaper.

-
Back