mufflers or no mufflers??

-
those manifolds came off my original 273 but the owner who had the car and good friend said the came off a 340. but i do not know much about mopars since this is my 1st. ill look around for a set of 360 manifolds so i can see what they look like. everyone says tti or spitfire. im hesitant to buy them since i do not know for sure they will fit in my tiny engine bay with out mods and im not pulling my motor to cut holes that i spent hours filling. but in the end i might have to or just sell it like im planning on doing but wanted to atleast enjoy the car before the 4sale signs go in.

the plugs are always black as night. new plugs will be black within minutes of running. everyone keeps telling me to run a points distributor. i dont have any of my original ignition stuff anymore. so i would have to buy everything again. the cam was degreed by the shop.

Do you get lots of black somke on acceleration too? I'm not talking about a puff of black when you slam the throttle down, but a trail of black smoke @ wide open throttle? What carb are you using?

Is that a Performer RPM intake? Those have smaller ports and should be used on a 318 engines. Switching the intake to a better one would help with power. You need to ditch those 273 manifolds, they are killing that motor. I have Hooker Super Comp fenderwall headers and I LOVE THEM!!!! I don't care that I cut my inner fenders, the car is not stock. You can run underchassis TTI's but they are $$$$! I have made some covers for the holes near the headers which keeps road debris out, plus, most people don't even notice mine are fenderwall headers.

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

it just idles rich as hell and if the idle mixture screws are out to far it will flood the garage with exhuast fumes. my mufflers leave black rings on the ground everytime i start it. but not under hard acceleration. its seems to be fine. the carb is a barry grant demon 750. i think its the speed demon not the race demon

thanks keith. i have spoken to you a while back about headers for my car. you recommended spitfire headers or cutting my fenders. i used to do autobody full time and paint so the cutting and painting is not the real issue. since i had back surgery i have such a hard time working on things now. but i will see what needs to be done. im leaning more and more towards buying fenderwell headers.

I'm just wondering if anyone ran straight 3" pipe with a X or H pipe installed all the way to the rear of the car with no mufflers would it be to loud? I have heard that going that big of pipe you have to richen the carb however. I know previously it was mentioned about exhaust flow so I was just wondering. In my state there is no inspection of vehicles at all. In my case it would on a 360 bore .030 over. Just curious it anyone has done this. Kind of far fetched but I think it would sound pretty good if it wasn't extremely loud.

the float levels are at the top of the 3 marks. funny you said that. i was just thinking about adjusting it because if i have to brake harder than normal the car wants to die and i know i have enough vacuum for the booster. one of my friends said that the float level might be causing the dying when braking.

I got the magna flows on my 340 duster with 3"exhaust an I'm pretty happy with the sound and the performance,the flowmasters were too loud at all speeds and seemed to kill off the line accelleration but this is just my opinion and different combinations work differently.

Here are some pictures with the covers I made to hide the holes for the Hookers....

Picture 279.jpg

Picture 281.jpg

Picture 282.jpg

thanks keith. i have spoken to you a while back about headers for my car. you recommended spitfire headers or cutting my fenders. i used to do autobody full time and paint so the cutting and painting is not the real issue. since i had back surgery i have such a hard time working on things now. but i will see what needs to be done. im leaning more and more towards buying fenderwell headers.

I like the way the fenderwell headers look!

Very nice job with the fenderwell header cut-outs and covers. Well Done!

do you have any pics from the inside fender wells so i can look to see where i have to cut here some time soon.

Might I suggest a 3 inch exhaust with mufflers? I have 3" on my Barracuda with a 340, x pipe, and some single chamber flowmasters.

It's loud as hell, but flows awesome, rev's quickly, and is a very Race-y sound.

It almost sounds like strait pipes, with more of a rumble, less rasp.

Hooking up the exhaust on my Cuda killed alot of the performance. I didn't run it at the track before so I can't say how much it lost but the seat of the pants feel says it was quite a bit. I noticed your not only running stock manifolds but I believe your Sig Erson cam is a straight duration/lift cam. A cam with more exhaust duration would probably work better with stock manifolds. JMHO

yeah i built the motor to have headers but i didnt realize the problems i would have until i had the car for a year and did all the mods and when it came time to install the motor the headers i had did not fit because they were for a 69 dart with a bigger engine bay. (thats what my friend had the motor in before i bought it and rebuilt it).

-
Back