Mufflers ?

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions on how to slightly muffle my exhaust? The local track is 103 decibels Max. I know the last time I had the Stroker motor in there I got kicked off for noise. Although there was a twinge of satisfaction LOL I do need to go back there regularly for T&T. Of course is always budget is a concern as I usually don't have one! Also I wasn't sure how the back pressure was going to affect the motor? It is pretty much set up for the dragstrip but I am putting it on the street also and that being another reason why I like to quiet it down just a little bit not a lot but just take some of the crack off of it it is very loud. Right now I have cheap Summit long tube headers that are wrapped which I believe the wrapping quieted them under the hood a bit? That goes into about a foot-and-a-half of tubing which on driver side I have the O2 sensor plugged into and on the passenger side I have the Evac tube going to passenger side valve cover. Then it just comes into 2 foot cherry bombs out of those about a foot and then 45 out towards the front of the back tires. Also when I drive it if course it sounds like my Harley when I put straight pipes on it and when I go to shift it girdles. I would prefer it didn't.

Maybe more money than you want to spend..... but i just installed Kooks 15.5 inch polished stainless( dyno max bullet type mufflers) on my car. Couldnt believe how much they knocked down the noise from open headers. Mighty sweet. Shouldnt effect performance, gonna leave them on at the track
R300-10 is the part number.

How much power is the engine making?
What size exhaust tube are you running?
What exact mufflers are you running now?

How much power is the engine making?
What size exhaust tube are you running?
What exact mufflers are you running now?
My Time Slips seem to calculate out to about around to 378 horsepower. I think the collectors are 3 in on those cheap Summit headers and it goes down into probably two and a quarter with non mandrel bent tubes. I have the long cherry bombs under there now that have been long burn out I'm sure.

Last edited:
OK, I’m not sure if those Cherry Bombs neck down on the inside or not. I am not a fan of glass packs as the only sound deadener. But as an additional source, I’m OK with it.

Start with a 2-1/2 exhaust pipe with an H or X. An X pipe is slightly quiter or mellowed sounding.
A chambered muffler suggestion would be the Hooker Aero Chambers @ 3 inch size. Connect the 2-1/2 to it with the exhaust pipe running to the edge of the body.
Hooker 21505HKR Hooker Aero Chamber Muffler

Slightly more expensive muffler would be a Black Widow muffler. Or a Gibbson MWA;
Gibson Performance Mufflers

I have used these Magnaflow glass packs to curve the sound of a hot rod or two. The internal passage stays the same size as the pipe diameter. It does not neck down in size.
Glasspack

As for a turbo muffler, I like my Dyno max super turbos.
I’m not a fan of a flow master type muffler.
I have used Summit racing mufflers with good results.

Since your ending your exhaust at the rear axle, install turn down tips facing downwards, angled slightly inwards.

Our local Drag Radial Class rule requires Mufflers. Does not say what kind. Sound decibels are not measured. They just has to be physically there. I took a Bullet muffler & cut in in half & made two out of one. Not very quiet by any means but they are there per the rules.

20160713_164732.jpg

I use 3 inch Dynomax Race Bullets on my Cuda. They quiet it some and my car runs almost the same with or without mufflers (very little restriction). I don't recall what length mine are...I think 12" IIRC...maybe 18"....IDK

Maybe just some kind of inexpensive Muffler that people are using?
thrush has a muffler that's fairly decent in lowering decibels and cheap. Its called the Welded and can be had at the local autozone for about 35 bucks

Try Schoenfeld mufflrs for circle track cars... cheap and they can take you down to 100db at 100'

I was also wondering how the back pressure would affect the motor if I did some kind of exhaust that was more quiet? The cam with such a tight Centerline and the motor never has had any back pressure since it was broke in. I wonder if it would give it a little more drivability under 3k?

I use 3" dynomax ultra flows.

3000 lbs raceweight

10.79 at 125 mph.

Dropped exhaust and gained less than .05. That could be my half *** driving. Lol

My Time Slips seem to calculate out to about around to 378 horsepower. I think the collectors are 3 in on those cheap Summit headers and it goes down into probably two and a quarter with non mandrel bent tubes. I have the long cherry bombs under there now that have been long burn out I'm sure.
Cheap Summit headers deserve Cheap Summit welded mufflers. Haha. It's what we're running, they sound great. Better than Flowmasters I think. $30 2.5 or 3".
sum-638230_w.jpg

I was also wondering how the back pressure would affect the motor if I did some kind of exhaust that was more quiet? The cam with such a tight Centerline and the motor never has had any back pressure since it was broke in. I wonder if it would give it a little more drivability under 3k?

Not likely. Did you look up the muffs I use? They are inexpensive, easy to use, light weight and are sound adjustable.

At your guesstimated HP level, a high flowing 2-1/2 muffler will suite. According to D. Vizard, the Hooker Aero Chambers (or the DynoMax super turbo) will do just fine. Back Pressure will slow the car down.

I have run the Hooker Max Flo mufflers before. (Same as the DynoMax Ultra Flows.) And the Dyno Max VT’s. I didn’t like the sound myself on the then combo.
The 3 above units are the least restrictive mufflers.

What we need really is known equal flow tests. Like cams duration @ .050 rates. We need the same for mufflers.

Last edited:
Not likely. Did you look up the muffs I use? They are inexpensive, easy to use, light weight and are sound adjustable.
I just looked us up and I would have to re weld all my Evac stuff and my sensors for my 02. Those look more like something you'd put on the end of the headers?

At your guesstimated HP level, a high flowing 2-1/2 muffler will suite. According to D. Vizard, the Hooker Aero Chambers (or the DynoMax super turbo) will do just fine. Back Pressure will slow the car down.

I have run the Hooker Max Flo mufflers before. (Same as the DynoMax Ultra Flows.) And the Dyno Max VT’s. I didn’t like the sound myself on the then combo.
The 3 above units are the least restrictive mufflers.

What we need really is known equal flow tests. Like cams duration @ .050 rates. We need the same for mufflers.
Yeah I wasn't sure if I put a little back pressure on it if I'd pick up a little more drivability under 3K? I'm not afraid of the car slowing down a little bit. As a matter of fact my whole game plan this year is just slow down a lot. not brake parts and just be consistent. I really have no desire to try and go faster. As a matter of fact I wouldn't mind quieting down the car significantly. But of course not totally.

I just looked us up and I would have to re weld all my Evac stuff and my sensors for my 02. Those look more like something you'd put on the end of the headers?

I forgot about the O2 sensor. I put my mufflers in the collector and then added extensions and put my pan evacs in the extension. You're right you'd have to move all that stuff.

Whatever muffler you use, get rid of those in-front-of-the-rear-wheel exits and put them under the car, dumped in front of the axle, with turn downs angled toward each other on a 45* angle. "The Internal Combustion Orchestra".

-
Back