Multi Part question

-

chubz

Reaction score
I have searched my brains out and am even more confused :violent1: I have a 1970 Duster that I am building from the ground up (my first build ever :headbang:) and I recently acquired a 8 3/4 shortened rear end. My questions are as follows:

1) The rear-end in question is in pieces and does not appear to have "dust shields" which was part of the Disk Brake unit. Is this something I need if I plan on using a Rotor type brake system?

2) Will the stock spring perches work on this rear-end or will something need to be fabricated or purchased to accommodate the larger axle tube?

These might seem like simple questions but I can seem to find a specific answer.

Thanks for the help in advance.

wow where to start
1: no rear disk brakes on A-bodies so no disk brakes on 8 3/4 rear UNLESS it is an aftermarket kit, if so you will need to contact the manufacturer of the kit, if it is a home made conversion we will need LOTS of pictures to try and figure out what you have and how to make it work, or you could just go back to drum brakes

2: if you are converting from a 7 1/4 to an 8 3/4, and it has no spring perches you will need to get some along with shock plates and U-bolts

The car was a shell. It was an 8 car with a 7 1/4 rearend.

I am planing on Wilwood or something like that for brakes. I figured the spring perch wouldn't work due to the axle size difference. Where can these new spring perches be purchased from?

if you are careful you can remove the old ones from the 8 3/4 and re use them
easier to just buy new ones, what is the 8 3/4 out of?

Is the car in your avatar the car in question? Cause its not a 70, although that wont make any differance. Just curious

#1 Whichever disc brake kit you get should have whatever the manufacturer recommends.
#2 if it's a stock A-body 8 3/4 housing, and the spring perches are in their stock location, it will fit into your car. The perches should be 43" apart. As mentioned, if you're changing over from a 7 1/4, you'll need the bigger shock plate and U-bolts. You'll also need to shorten your driveshaft.

if you are careful you can remove the old ones from the 8 3/4 and re use them
easier to just buy new ones, what is the 8 3/4 out of?

Not sure what the it was out of. Was a junk yard find I am sure. Currently it has no perches on it.

#1 Whichever disc brake kit you get should have whatever the manufacturer recommends.
#2 if it's a stock A-body 8 3/4 housing, and the spring perches are in their stock location, it will fit into your car. The perches should be 43" apart. As mentioned, if you're changing over from a 7 1/4, you'll need the bigger shock plate and U-bolts. You'll also need to shorten your driveshaft.

Don't have a driveshaft...or transmission or motor at this point. Its pretty bare. Just trying to figure out what I need to get the car into a rolling chassis.

The brake system should be fairly easy to address, especially if you are going afermarket disc.... I'd look at Master power brakes, for a complete bolt in kit, that will definately work no problems...... As for the 8.75, if it's narrowed, then you are going to need to take the messurements. Like mentioned above, you can go to summit, jegs mancini pretty much any online auto parts distributor for the perches.

-
Back