Multi Tone Hate.....Who's with me?

-

Useless

Reaction score
Apparently in the past few years it has become the "in" thing to take a muscle car an paint it two or more colors, from $#!tty backwoods builders to the masters of the game, everyone is in on the trend.

Am I the only one who loathes this "style" and is reay for it to die off, just like the pastel colors of the eighties and nineties did, and those god forsaken lazer and splash style stripes that everyone had to have?

Don't get me wrong, there are some cars, albeit a very few, that can pull off a two tone or multi tone paint job, take tri 5 chevys for example, those cars wear it well.

I blame Chip Foose for this, as amazing as his work is, why does he have to paint every thing 2 or 3 or 5 colors?! IMHO he's the leader or one of the most visible in the "restification" world, he has the power to stop it! lol

Whatever happened to the subtle black car that just looks evil? Why does everything have to scream "Look at me"? Have people really dumbed down so much that this is the only way for a car to be cool? I just don't get it.....

I'm also ready for the blatant pro-touring style to die off, I understand wanting a comfortable, reliable old car that handles well....but why do you have to reinvent the wheel? Why do you want a '70 Challenger just to build it into something that looks nothing like a '70 Challenger???? (You know the one, Oct. '08 MCG)

FooseCharger.jpg

I was watching a rerun of "RIDES" the other day. You know, the one on the Riddler (sp) where Foose dropped out, then the fat soprano dropped out. Remember? And the judges were talking about the cars and said something to the effect of "But it's just a solid red paint job. No graphics or two tone."

(kids turn away)

**** them! Who died and made them the keepers of all things painted? To think that a car is LESS DESERVING of a top award because it doesn't look like a color chart is ridiculous. Eventually they decided on that "plain" solid color machine....but it was because everything else was superior DESPITE the plain paint.

I don't care if someone wants to two tone their ride. hell, shoot THREE colors on it. But THAT ALONE shouldn't garner special consideration when it's time to judge cars on their own merits

rant off

I totally agree with everything you said. I really dislike the 'street rodification' of muscle cars too. I say leave well enough alone.

All these trends are just that - trends. They crop up every few years, get promoted by magazines and builders and die off when people realize how silly they are. All those Overhaulin' type shows highlight these types of builds. They ruin the cars with big wheels, stereos and custom interiors. There was a show a while back where that Barry White street rod guy took a plain jane '70 Torino post with steelies and dog dish caps and made it into a street rod with giant wheels, fancy suspension and flashy paint and flipped it at auction for like $100K. No thanks. For me, it woulda been better if he left the non-descript paint and steel wheels, put a hot 351 and a 4 speed and blew doors.

I think that these trends get popular because the guys with money are willing to pay someone to build it for them. There's no creative thought on the buyers side, just a blank check. The shops are all trying to out do each other with the latest and greatest gee gaws, wheels and graphics. Then, like everything else, there's imitators and the style trickles down to the little guy who wants to look like the big boys with the bucks. Then some magazine article says hey let's do something else and it starts all over again.

Happened with gassers too recently. Anyone with an old sedan started putting straight axles under the front end and jacking them up real high. Problem is they never get the subtle details right and start cross breeding styles. The result is usually garbage.

I hate the whole two tone-stipey thingy too:):). I think they looked good in the beginning but, Just like everything else............it's gone over the top.

I like the multi color thing. That is how my car looks.

What I can't stand are the huge wheels. To me, NOTHING bigger than 17's (and only those in some cases) look good on old muscle cars. I also am not a fan of the wild multi-tone paint jobs; the only time I'd want an old Mopar to be anything but one solid color would be if it had a black 'glass hood or simple, solid, one-color stripes.

well,all i can say is,its nice to hear different opinions.I guess i know who wont like my car when its done,and thats ok,i can live with that

Varrity is the spice of life. The world may not be a better place because someone tricked out a 70 Torino but none the worse for it either.
I prefer the look of the Challenger above compaired to some of the stock colors (pink).
I caught just a glimpse of a new Chrysler 300 wearing a 1950s like 2 tone , pale green and white. Beautiful in my eye. I searched the web over for another pic of it. No luck.

Personally I hate the Foose look that seems to be associated with the big wheel skinny tire phenomenon as well (argh). It seems to be more influence from the ricer/fast and furious crowd than anything else. Just plain wrong in my opinion. But strangely I have no problem with the 2 tone look or stripes if done correctly. I love the looks of a vinyl top and bumblebee stripes on a dart, or T/A stripes on a challenger. Maybe I'm just a purist when it comes to muscle cars. When I see highly modified cars at shows I just walk on by but stop and admire the more stock ones. Not for me but hey, if its yours do whatever you want I guess.

I like two tone on some vehicles.

I don't care for the BIG WHEELS and slammed look or stupid graphics. The Challeneger Foose did not look right with the strobe stripe

Too each his own, the owner is the one that has to like it. I don't like the mono tone look either, GIVE ME SOME CHROME

MuseumDart.jpg

I like period correct look. 69 Darts are my favorite, since mine is a 67 the trim was removed from the sides and the stripe painted on the the correct location for a 69

woodward.jpg

My Prowler really isn't 2 toned, it has so many more colors than that. It isn't for everyone, looks better in person and because of the wild paint job was made into a Johnning Lightning diecast. Would I do it again like that, doubt it, but this was done to make it look different from all the other Yellow Prowlers out there.

MuseumDart.jpg

woodward.jpg

I love the multi-tone look on some cars. I have the blue layed for my multi tone on my 66 Barracuda and am doing it with a LARGE charcoal body stripe with 440 cut outs (so the blue shows through) at the back of the quartes. I fell in love with the 1960's drag style paint. Between the paint scheme and the side pipes Im putting on I already get crap, but its what I WANT. When I finish mines going to look similar to this (just with the charcoal replacing the white)............

cudapaint.jpg

I argee i started a post last year like this. Big rims and 10 thousand dollar paint jobs ruin the looks of our cars.My wife knows if she agreeded to overhaul there be a killing i think the old post was oldschool.

Even though I am not crazy about the multi-tone paint jobs, such effects go all the way back to early hotrodding when everybody was painting flames on the sides of their rides.

I guess that some guys, such as Chip Foose, see cars as a canvas for their artwork.

A buddy of mine in college had a ford van with the entire thing covered with murals of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers (R. Crumb hand painted it himself for the owner of the Rat's Hole in Daytona Beach). That thing would probably be worth a bundle now just because of who painted it.

I love the multi-tone look on some cars. I have the blue layed for my multi tone on my 66 Barracuda and am doing it with a LARGE charcoal body stripe with 440 cut outs (so the blue shows through) at the back of the quartes. I fell in love with the 1960's drag style paint. Between the paint scheme and the side pipes Im putting on I already get crap, but its what I WANT. When I finish mines going to look similar to this (just with the charcoal replacing the white)............

I like that style, like I say, a few can pull it off... that one does... Sox and Martin comes to mind also. I've always been a fan of the '60's/70's drag style paint jobs (which is what 75DartSport's car reminds me of), I've got no problem with those, as long as it's all period correct, unlike these tri-tone hyper modernized jobs, they just don't fit the cars.

Sharpie, I like that style on the Demon, reminds me of the AAR 'Cuda and the minilite wheels fit in with the Trans-Am style. What I'm not into are the ones like this: (Hope you don't mind a terrible p'chop of your work)

demon2-1copy.jpg

It'd be different if there were just a few people doing it, but it's everyone. I can just see a lot of expensive paint jobs being stripped off in a decade because they look so dated....and not in a good way.

I say, if it floats your boat, go for it. Myself, I love a mono paint car with the flat black hood & callout stripes.

To each his own.

I'm partially with you on this one. Some body styles can pull off a two-tone paint job well if they're complimentary to the body lines and the colors go well together. Check out our club website, www.inlandmoparscarclub.com, and take a look at the '67 Dart and '68 Valiant project cars we've built over the past two years. Both of them turned our extremely nice.
I'm not a fan of three-tone paint jobs and even some two-tone paint colors are just butt-ugly together.
I like most of Foose's work but there's a '72 Challenger in the Dec. 2008 issue of Mopar Action that is an 'Overhaulin' car that I don't like at all. IMHO the silver band over the top of the car doesn't do anything to compliment the body lines (it's vaguely reminiscent of the over-the-top strobe stripes used on fuselage-bodied Plymouth Road Runners and doesn't belong on a Dodge), and the main body colors of red and blue look like they belong on a taxi.
One of our club members was lucky enough to have his Road Runner 'Overhauled' and it turned out really nice. The paint colors (2) are complimentary and not outlandish. And the free Hemi and 5-speed makes it even nicer!
Personally, I prefer single-color paint jobs on musclecars. The color certainly doesn't have to be year-specific but does need to coordinate well with exterior striping, interior colors, and even engine block paint (not every engine has to be painted Hemi-orange!). My '69 Dart is going to be either Charger Red (yeah, I know, it is year-specific) or Viper Red with a custom white bumblebee stripe. My eye says they're really close - and my original '69 340 Swinger was Charger Red with a white stripe.
But, then again, you never know. I might just go Viper Blue with a silver stripe. That could be really nice - and just a little different.

I like the different colors on cars, that's what makes it fun to look at all the different rides. To see what everybody is doing. Do you guys realize how boring this **** would be if everybody had plain-jane single color cars? who wants to see that? After seeing one, why look at another? I say keep on with the multi-color cars! And I think Chip Foose is the king!

I usually like the stuff that Foose does. But I don't think that Challenger was one of his better jobs. :dontknow:

true, the Challenger was a bad paint job, but I bet it is sweet in real life

Hey Goody, care to chime in? I remember how much you loved Chips idea of the 1/2 silver top LOL.

I think your car will look great
and I like what you are going to do to get that look.:cheers:

Me :-D I am going to paint the hole car the same color as longgone.
It matches the int color and the white top will be gone, long gone.
and the same tire size as this fine barracuda.

LIFE 335.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv 002.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv 017.jpg

Give me a factory paint job any day. I also hate when Foose mixing 2 different factory stripes on one car.

-
Back