mustang exhaust?

-

Dana

FABO Vendor
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
I've been listening for the right tone for my swinger for a couple years. The new Shelby and cobras are definitely the sound I'm after. Has anyone had a look at their system? Do they run an X? What mufflers are they running? I guess I could go to the dealership, just making conversation, thanks.

I've been listening for the right tone for my swinger for a couple years. The new Shelby and cobras are definitely the sound I'm after. Has anyone had a look at their system? Do they run an X? What mufflers are they running? I guess I could go to the dealership, just making conversation, thanks.

If you are talking about the 600hp cars, they run a quad exhaust.

http://media.caranddriver.com/image...pe-exhaust-system-photo-361529-s-1280x782.jpg

It appears like they have a couple of flex collars to keep the system from interfering with itself and just use the quad pipes in the system as the crossover. I'm not sure what the benefits of this system are or if it's just a way to aleviate back pressure from a distance away from the engine.

I'd be interested in finding out, though.

Honestly, the sound that you are talking about is likely due to the high RPM that the engines turn. Your engine will have more of an adverse effect on how the tone of the exhaust sounds.

I've sort of taken an approach that exhaust tone is what it is, depending on how the car's drivetrain is outfitted. You can play around with decibles in different mufflers and resinators, but most of it depends on your engine.

No, I haven't heard one of those yet. Even the 4.6 shelby,'s sound great! I'm thinking ford outsourced the mufflers just trying to find out from who.

That sound has alot more to do with engine design than exhaust system design. You will never get your mopar to sound like that unless you drop in a ford mod engine.

That sound has alot more to do with engine design than exhaust system design. You will never get your mopar to sound like that unless you drop in a ford mod engine.

Actually this is BS

The mellow sound of the 69/ 70 RR and other Mopars of that era EXAMPLE wasn't due to some magical change in the engine, it was the design of the entire exhaust.

ford spent a lot of time and money designing the exhaust to sound like that. gonna be hard to duplicate it with just mufflers..

So many things affect how your exhaust sounds. The engine itself, the cam profile, headers or manifolds, size of piping, amount of piping, type of muffler, muffer placement, resonators, cats, tips, exit location, etc etc.

You can make it sound really good a thousand different ways, but I doubt any of them will sound much like a totally different car/engine.

So many things affect how your exhaust sounds. The engine itself, the cam profile, headers or manifolds, size of piping, amount of piping, type of muffler, muffer placement, resonators, cats, tips, exit location, etc etc.

You can make it sound really good a thousand different ways, but I doubt any of them will sound much like a totally different car/engine.

Nailed it.

what about the sound system to make your car sound like anything you want? just install a couple high powered speakers under neath your car and...

i dont blame you for wanting a mustang sound, can easily pick out a mustang without ever seeing it

case in point, my dad has flowmaster 44's on his car, bet you a few bucks if i put those cans on my duster it wouldnt sound the same. (i am actually going to do this, so might be a good comparison)

Have you heard a 92-03 360/5.9 magnum. (I have to assume you have)

Very distinctive and very mean.

My wife can even identify them by ear when we're out!

Mine has duals and magnaflows/dynomax, so it's a hair more nasty, but still the same core sound.

Shouls be mostly due to the mag exhaust manifolds...

The thing is, you start changing the piping, ANYTHING, diameter, length, however and whatever crossovers are put in, location of the outlets to the rear, type of mufflers, ALL and ANY of this affects the way the thing sounds.

Even something as simple as adding/ removing rear tips can change the sound.

I can STILL remember the sound of my absolutely factory stock 383 RR. You simply could not have improved on that.

thanks everyone. I understand whats being said. and for the most part i can agree with everyone. But, I also know (for example) you can tell a series 40 flowmaster no matter what its on. I'm gonna find out the stang system, duplicate it the best i can without getting carried away, and see what happens for the hell of it. thanks again

I like my aero chambers! it sounds gooodd!

-
Back