Mustang II suspension

-
the stock shock mounts?? that sure wasn't an alter-k.

you obviously have never driven an alter-k equipped car or are just out trolling for an argument.

He ain't hard to spot, is he?

Hey Joe, in regards to your "un-trust worthy" Alter K do you still have that photo you posted a while back. You were heading to a car show somewhere and your GPS was reading at some really silly number...

lol.. that was on the way to carlisle one year...

carlisle%2008%20029.jpg

Hey jaraxle so say keep the stock k frame unless it is a trailer race car.i don't think I would want to be at the track with a car doing x amount of miles an hour with a suspension that might break or something go wrong.So that comment just seems ridiculous.

Hey Joe, real world driving, how much nicer is the handling of the RMS set up.
Is it comparable to a modern car?
I already have tubular upper a arms, 1.03 torsion bars, fresh suspension components, hell-wig front / rear sway bar on my duster, just searching for the modern car feel.

Stock k-member, reinforced, power steering pump-it-down, is plenty of metal for whatever you want to throw at it.

These aftermarket jobs are for if your bored and want to change something just to change something or to look cool. Or if you can pay yourself back winning road races. If not it's a waste of money IMO.

Stock k-member, reinforced, is plenty of metal for whatever you want to throw at it.

These aftermarket jobs are for if your bored and want to change something just to change something.

Not necessarily. They will free up a ton of space for headers....and allow you to run a rear sump pan without having to fight with the centerlink. Or better yet, allow you to run a dragster style flat bottomed oil pan....

Or drop a newer aftermarket engine in. What I'm saying is, unless your going the highly modified route, keep the coin for something else.

Hey Joe, real world driving, how much nicer is the handling of the RMS set up.
Is it comparable to a modern car?

yes its comparable to a modern car in my opinion. its kinda hard to explain.. easier to feel for yourself but real precise is what i can say. with the power rack option its really nice. real nice feel to it.

when i bought my 87 mustang i expected it to feel like my dart. it ended up being a lot easier to turn the wheel.. i liked the rack the dart had better. had a better feel to me.. the best comparison on the feel i can make between the mustang and rms racks is going from a stock mopar steering box to a firm feel stage III box..

its funny going to carlisle one year jamie was following me in her dart. it had .920 bars and new rear springs. no sway bars though, and the stock size 14" tires... we got off the Schuylkill expressway and she was all pissed.. i was doing 65-70 mph on that windy *** road not even thinking about it because it didn't feel like i was going that fast. just cruising with one finger on the wheel, nice and comfortable.. i was wondering why she was so far back..lol

Stock k-member, reinforced, power steering pump-it-down, is plenty of metal for whatever you want to throw at it.

These aftermarket jobs are for if your bored and want to change something just to change something or to look cool. Or if you can pay yourself back winning road races. If not it's a waste of money IMO.

most of us are just good ol' American males....when we figure out we can't screw it....we take it apart to try to make it better.

no excuses here, for some of us....we just can't help it

most of us are just good ol' American males....when we figure out we can't screw it..or drink it..we take it apart to try to make it better.

no excuses here, for some of us....we just can't help it

Fixed

yes its comparable to a modern car in my opinion. its kinda hard to explain.. easier to feel for yourself but real precise is what i can say. with the power rack option its really nice. real nice feel to it.

when i bought my 87 mustang i expected it to feel like my dart. it ended up being a lot easier to turn the wheel.. i liked the rack the dart had better. had a better feel to me.. the best comparison on the feel i can make between the mustang and rms racks is going from a stock mopar steering box to a firm feel stage III box..

its funny going to carlisle one year jamie was following me in her dart. it had .920 bars and new rear springs. no sway bars though, and the stock size 14" tires... we got off the Schuylkill expressway and she was all pissed.. i was doing 65-70 mph on that windy *** road not even thinking about it because it didn't feel like i was going that fast. just cruising with one finger on the wheel, nice and comfortable.. i was wondering why she was so far back..lol

Thanks that what I was looking for real world driving with lots of miles.
Funny I thought my Duster drove good until I bought my 2012 challenger.
That challenger has me spoiled, the suspension on the Duster seems so out of date.

Thanks that what I was looking for real world driving with lots of miles.
Funny I thought my Duster drove good until I bought my 2012 challenger.
That challenger has me spoiled, the suspension on the Duster seems so out of date.

Because it is....and this is one of the things that makes me laugh about a lot of folks on this site. The technology in these cars is ancient. Fact of life. Some folks like the looks of these old clunkers but desire somewhat modern day technology. EFI/OD/ improved steering/braking. And some folks get there panties in a wad when some one modernizes one of these clunkers. Even worse....puts a brand X power plant or trans in. Seems to me some folks just cannot grasp the fact that there IS a boat load of better ways to build one of these things then there was in the 70's....yet these are the same folk that enjoy what technology has to offer...hell, look at how they complain about those folks that use modern day components...chances are it is a high speed, perhaps fiber optic, internet connection....

As my Dad uses to tell.....You can put a suit on a pig......but it is still just a pig...

Because it is....and this is one of the things that makes me laugh about a lot of folks on this site. The technology in these cars is ancient. Fact of life. Some folks like the looks of these old clunkers but desire somewhat modern day technology. EFI/OD/ improved steering/braking. And some folks get there panties in a wad when some one modernizes one of these clunkers. Even worse....puts a brand X power plant or trans in. Seems to me some folks just cannot grasp the fact that there IS a boat load of better ways to build one of these things then there was in the 70's....yet these are the same folk that enjoy what technology has to offer...hell, look at how they complain about those folks that use modern day components...chances are it is a high speed, perhaps fiber optic, internet connection....

As my Dad uses to tell.....You can put a suit on a pig......but it is still just a pig...

I agree 100%.
Last weekend me and the wife dusted off our restored 1948 Willys CJ2A and drove it to a local show.
Sad but I have not drove the old jeep this year... The old girl is crude in every way but just driving it puts a smile on my face.

FYI....be careful what you say about the Alter-K, there are some rabid fans of it here. But some folks refuse to accept the fact that there is more than 1 way to skin a cat...

They make me think more and more that any and all modified cars should have to be signed off on by a structural engineer before being permitted on public roads. There are some SCARY suspensions out there. (See: entire front supported on shock mounts!)

Hey jaraxle so say keep the stock k frame unless it is a trailer race car.i don't think I would want to be at the track with a car doing x amount of miles an hour with a suspension that might break or something go wrong.So that comment just seems ridiculous.

I have never seen a beat-up grade crossing, a 4" high frost heave, or a broken expansion joint on a track!

Spot on. Again: look what Ehrenberg did with stock suspension!

Sorry guys, not trying to start any arguments or affect sales, just playing devils advocate. I like modern suspensions too. :protest:

Sorry guys, not trying to start any arguments or affect sales, just playing devils advocate. I like modern suspensions too. :protest:

Devils advocate??....isn't that the guy that stirs the $hit???

LOL...all good w/me. I enjoy all comments, some are a very informative...some not so much....and some are a real hoot!

Mopar to ya'
Denny

Seems like old times....all the boys sitting around bench racing about front ends...had to chime in with a vote for AlterK.

Had mine out on the twisties today....runs real nice through the country.
Semi paved roads...choppy edges and ruts. Handles it all with ease.

I thought I saw a mustang......but it was so far behind me I couldn't tell for sure.

I like what I see in HD's by the way. Either one would be a great investment.

Mop

hey Mop....good to hear from you.

want some great BSin and bench racin'....join us under the tent next year at the Nats.

We would love to have you join us.

Putting Mustang parts into a Mopar......?
BLASPHEMY!!! HE IS A HERETIC AND MUST BE BURNED AT THE STAKE!!! GATHER WOOD, MY FELLOW MOPARIANS, AND LIGHT THE FIRE!!!

-
Back