my 1956 dodge postal van

-
You should be able to use the radiator from a 2005 Dodge Durango with a little bracket fabrication.

Hello going_postal,

I took the time to draw a drawing for you today. Hope you like it! Good luck on the truck. I lowered it and chopped the top and cut the bumper. :thumbup:

Attachments

• Postal truck 1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 327
found this photo on the net

Attachments

• Photograph-of-mail-van-in-the-snow.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 331
Hello going_postal,

I took the time to draw a drawing for you today. Hope you like it! Good luck on the truck. I lowered it and chopped the top and cut the bumper. :thumbup:

man , that is awesome . its now my new screen saver :supz:

i actually thought about the diesel idea . i seen a mercedes on CL with a turbo diesel and auto that i had on my mind , but it sold .

when i first seen this van it was stting flat on the ground in black dirt . i was very concerned about the frame and floor being gone , but to my amazment there is no cancer to speak of . now the exhaust pipe is a different story .

the story behind this old van , is that it delivered mail in fredericksburg tx until it was passed on to "The Radio Post" where it was used for delivering news papers . after it broke down a lady bought it and used it as a camper for a year until her house was built . she had called a junk yard to pick it up when a man that lived beside her told her that she would do better by selling it on CL .

man build this thing!!!!!!! awsome look for a wrecked sprinter that will have everything you need

Hey Postal, in one post you said "Show me the money". What kind of money are we talking about? Just curious as i'm sure others are also.
Small Block

Drop the whole front bumper, weld up the two holes and you have a smooth front end.
Might get away with doing the rear the same way.
The rear should have the tapered rear axle shafts dont throw to much HP at it.

i think its a keeper for sure . i have alot of people on several different sites asking if its for sale . i reply with show me the money , but i doupt that i will sell .

Hey Postal, in one post you said "Show me the money". What kind of money are we talking about? Just curious as i'm sure others are also.
Small Block

i just posted that i doupt that i would sell it . i told one guy before, that $3000 would by it . that may seem alot to some , but thats what it would take .

Drop the whole front bumper, weld up the two holes and you have a smooth front end.
Might get away with doing the rear the same way.
The rear should have the tapered rear axle shafts dont throw to much HP at it.

i bought an original 1956 U.S Post Office parts list book . in there it says that the rear gear ratio is 4:78 to 1 . i think i'm going to swap the rear with something thats not so low .

I would not sell it. It is too cool to just restore.

yeah , i have decided to keep it :D. NOT FOR SALE !

a friend of mine got ahold of the lady around the corner with the dodge RV . he said that she would take $250 for it . i should be getting it sunday for the motor and transmission . suppose to be a 318 , but i'll have to wait and see .

i bought an original 1956 U.S Post Office parts list book . in there it says that the rear gear ratio is 4:78 to 1 . i think i'm going to swap the rear with something thats not so low .

Yep. Postal vehicles had low gears, like the Scout I had. Which rear end is in the vehicle?

Like I said before, the Durango radiator should be right for the 318. It is only 18 inches wide.

Good luck on the RV. Is the RV a dualie?

B.

i'm new to mopar , so i really can't say on the rear end . thanks for the radiator idea , and yes the rv is a dually .

Looking forward to seeing this funky looking thing get done.....

The rv rear is most likely a dana 60 or 70 way to heavy for you cruiser build.

Look at the rear on the postal if it has no bolts in the rear cover it is an 8.75 which means you can change out the gears easy, the entire center section comes out gears and all.

I just bought a open carrier 2.91 complete off here for $100 shipped, so don't let the gear ratio scare you.

i'm new to mopar , so i really can't say on the rear end . thanks for the radiator idea , and yes the rv is a dually .

Well, a Dana is easy to recognize. It may have one depending on how overbuilt it was.

But, since the RV is a dual unit... Narrow that sucker! That would make a great little tow vehicle.

well, a dana is easy to recognize. It may have one depending on how overbuilt it was.

But, since the rv is a dual unit... Narrow that sucker! That would make a great little tow vehicle.

x2

The rv rear is most likely a dana 60 or 70 way to heavy for you cruiser build.

Look at the rear on the postal if it has no bolts in the rear cover it is an 8.75 which means you can change out the gears easy, the entire center section comes out gears and all.

I just bought a open carrier 2.91 complete off here for $100 shipped, so don't let the gear ratio scare you.

thanks for the info . i'll give it a look tomorrow once i get back from a swapmeet that i'm going too .

Well, a Dana is easy to recognize. It may have one depending on how overbuilt it was.

But, since the RV is a dual unit... Narrow that sucker! That would make a great little tow vehicle.

yeah , i know what a dana looks like for sure , but the one under the postal i had no idea .

It needs a early HEMI. I got one. ;)

-
Back