My 318

-

73golddusterkid

Gold Duster Kid
Reaction score
Okay, so today i drove my 73 duster to work. I had to leave early to go to school, for the past couple of weeks its been running great. But as soon as i get on it after leaving a stop light it starts to make this knocking noise. The motor has been rebuilt, bored .030 over, 360 heads, .480 lift comp cam, TTI headers and exhaust, MSD ignition and such. The oil is full also, I have no clue as to why it is making this noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone? Please i really need some advice, this car is my baby and i know it can't be a rod knocking because the motor was rebuilt and a new oil pump installed.

This is not a live forum. You'll have to wait for someone to read it and answer it if they can. It's not like we are sitting here waiting for someone to come online with a problem.

You answer is in the timing. You'll need to retard it a few degrees and/or use a higher octane fuel. If your allready useing 93, just back it down 2 or 4 degrees and the knock should go away.

If that isn't it, you have something loose that rattles under extreme load. And that will be a mystery to look figure out.

Already using 93, i guess i'll play with the timing a bit. I just find it odd that after i let off the throttle it all of the sudden started knocking.

OH, off the throttle it's knocking. Weird man, weird. Check for the distributor being dirty and the advance springs working properly, installed properly.

Might want to check the valvetrain too. I know the rocker arm setup is different than that of a small block Chevy, but I had a truck that had a similar problem.

Justin
"CornDog"

Thanks guys for all your input. But i drove it last night and it went away, and it still runs great. So i have no idea why it was doing it, maybe i was just imagining it.

thats what i was kinda thinking too Tnplumber, the 318 in my dart had a lifter that stuck one day after a hard but short run down the street. i just added some seafoam and its not come back since. hopefully she stays quiet for you now 73

Yea its quiet now dingo, i want to thank everyone for their input. This is a great site, and i have learned a lot from reading all the threads.

Look for things like a loose pulley, check the flex plate bolts, etc etc...

-
Back