My 340 build

-
I was also looking at the comp nostalgic purple cam but going to have to decide between the 3 soon hmmm decisions decisions

With the XE274 do i need to switch out the valve springs for the comp ones they recommend or should the brand new ones on the edelbrock heads be ok?

The Voodoo although it may turn out to be too big or may not
same duration as the 274 comp but look at the difference in the lift- makes a big difference in power
will require correct springs
the 274 comp will leave HP on the table and so will the 268 but even more so
268 might have to much dynamic compression with your build, or may not
both are comps are "universal" one size fits all grinds
Comps XE274HL is the one that more closely matches the Lunati and is designed for MOPAR
sell the 268 to someone who wants to detune his Mopar
save the 274 comp- it could be reground shorter with same lift depending on how your motor turns out and how you want it to drive (with your gears and converter etc)
but get a few miles on the lunati, run a compression test and let us know how it's going

Alright guys im stuck right now its a toss up between 3 cams
XE274-own
Lunati704-own
Lunati703-can get with summit bucks
I already disregarded my XE268
90% street 10%track

I feel like the 704 might be to big
Unsure of the 703
The XE274 i feel like im short selling myself on power. But i could be wrong

Last edited:
Alright guys im stuck right now its a toss up between 3 cams
XE274-own
Lunati704-own
Lunati703-can get with summit bucks
I already disregarded my XE268
90% street 10%track

Why not call Jim at Racer Brown and have him grind up something custom???

It can't be money because it's about the same price.

BTW, why did you assemble the short block WITHOUT the cam??? It makes it much tougher to degree the cam. You are going to degree the cam aren't you???

Why not call Jim at Racer Brown and have him grind up something custom???

It can't be money because it's about the same price.

BTW, why did you assemble the short block WITHOUT the cam??? It makes it much tougher to degree the cam. You are going to degree the cam aren't you???
I didnt assemble the short block without the cam. I had the XE268 in and decided against it. I dont want to spend more money on the cam, i have summit bucks to buy 1 more cam if i dont want to run the other 2 as i stated above. Ive considered a custom grind but dont want to spend more money out of pocket at this time so im working with what im dealt with like i stated above. I havent degreed any cam yet as you can see.

Last edited:
My suggestion is/ was is to put the Lunati in and run it and see how you like it with your driving habits
run a compression check
and see- maybe even the 703 is too big IDK
do you have true compression numbers? head flows approx? what exhaust if you posted these I forget
do a stall test
you can regrind the comp if it now has a stock base circle and the Lunati is way too big even reface your lifters

Just a update on the build, decided on cam.
Installed new cam, timing chain set, and windage tray. I through the pan in as mock up for windage tray stud clearance check. Also bought a lifter valley pan to install when i get to that part

20190807_182144.jpg

Just realized something guys, i bought the durabond engine hardware kit it comes with the woodruff keys for crank and cam. Does this look right for the crankshaft and key? the gap? It is a scat crank

Screenshot_20190809-022119_Gallery.jpg

If it won’t fit if you flip it I don’t see an issue. It seems to be there so you can get it out by prying on it. One thing and it might really be not that big of a deal, but the paint behing the timing set will probably flake off and I’m not sure I wouldn’t want it plugging my oil pick up screen or getting into a check ball in a lifter.

Last edited:
XE275HL, ill post why after im done setting up my sons bday

Oooh, nice! I've got one of them and a set of lifters sitting on the bench waiting for the snow to fly. Hoping that will make good match with ProMaxx 171 heads, RPM AG, and 650 AVS2. Will be very interested in your reasoning and results.

Oooh, nice! I've got one of them and a set of lifters sitting on the bench waiting for the snow to fly. Hoping that will make good match with ProMaxx 171 heads, RPM AG, and 650 AVS2. Will be very interested in your reasoning and results.
Well i feel the lift will work perfect with my eddy heads especially if i do a light port job.
Also the cam i feel would be perfect woth my compression ratio ill have i hope, might have to upgrade torque converter but we will see. I almost have same setup as you just carb different and heads as for top end

Let's see how the HL works for you
btw
the difference between 274 and 275 HL is more than
274 to 274 with 1.6 rockers

Let's see how the HL works for you
btw
the difference between 274 and 275 HL is more than
274 to 274 with 1.6 rockers
Well i am inly eunning 1.5 rockers so i thini itll be alright? Why have you ran the HL before?

some have and some have with magnums whichhave the 1.6 stock
I just commented because some think that 1.6 rockers make as much difference than a cam ground on the Mopar size lifter like the two voodoo's and your HL cam
They do not make as much difference

some have and some have with magnums whichhave the 1.6 stock
I just commented because some think that 1.6 rockers make as much difference than a cam ground on the Mopar size lifter like the two voodoo's and your HL cam
They do not make as much difference

I'm doubling down and running the 275HL with 1.6 rockers.

which motor gzig5?
b3 kit with shaft and roller rockers?
or?
what springs
what headwork for clearance was required
following readers will need to know

which motor gzig5?
b3 kit with shaft and roller rockers?
or?
what springs
what headwork for clearance was required
following readers will need to know

71 340. Pistons are unknown until I pull the heads. I've got a new set of PRW stainless steel 1.6 rockers that I've cleaned and deburred. Set of lightly used ProMaxx heads with their springs on the way. Chad from ProMaxx assured me that they would be fine with the .561" lift at the valve that will result. We'll see how everything fits when the stuff gets here.

-
Back