My 340

-

F21

Reaction score
OK I posted this in the racers form and did not get feedback. Maybe I should have posted it here let’s see what you guys think.

OK so here’s the new set up
I’m going to be doing over the winter
340 block 30 over Forged factory stroke crank factor rods with ARP bolts, icon, pistons Lunati solid, flat, tappet 546-566 lift advertise duration 272 280 duration at 50 /243 /251
B1 cylinder heads
Hand ported have not put them on the flow bench yet I believe about 260 ish hopefully more 11.8 to 1 compression
Crane roller rockers 1.5 Edelbrock air gap 750 Holly Speedmaster distributor orange box
Trans is a 727 Reverse manual valve body, PTC 3200 stall 8 3/4 with a 391
26 x 11 Hoosier
Car weighs 3200 with me in it
So now let’s do the guessing game. What do you guys think it’ll run in the quarter-mile And estimated horsepower

Don't the B1 heads have a W5 pattern intake manifold? Is you Air Gap redrilled for those heads? I'm thinking high to mid 11's if the manifold is ported to match, but a single plane would probably a better choice.

B1 cylinder heads
Hand ported have not put them on the flow bench yet I believe about 260 ish hopefully more
260 ish is the stock rating.
So now let’s do the guessing game. What do you guys think it’ll run in the quarter-mile And estimated horsepower
It all depends on the heads, if your only 260 ish cfm, I'd guess around 475+ hp.

there are two different types of B1 cylinder heads mine accepts standard intake

If 260 is in stock form, hopefully 270-ish

260 does seem low for the B1/BA heads with their 2.08 intake valves. I imagine there are some dramatic flow numbers in those heads with a minimum amount of work if you can find someone who’s experienced with them. The cam LSA for this combination is dead on based on the 128 formula and 11.8 compression. There’s probably some better cam choices out there. But without actually knowing how good or bad the head flow numbers are, I wouldn’t deviate from it. There’s no doubt that there is low 11 second potential for that build, but it may take more cam / gear / converter than what you are presently planning on. It will definitely be interesting to see what numbers it turns once you get the tune and traction optimized, I’ve known of less to go faster than my guesstimate.

Last edited:
Very close to my setup 11.90 on a good day. You need more gear to get a 340 to wind out. 4.56 28" tire worked the best for me. A 4.30 26" tire also works good. I ran 11.74 today with a 4.10 26" tire. I'm putting a 360 in my car shortly and put the 4.10 in for the new motor.

318willrun did a mild 360 and it ran in the 12.80's. If that 340 doesn't run better then 12 that's sad
Love ya like a brother so do be offended…

For someone who doesn’t have a car…….. I’d STFU!

Do so add in your two cents when you have actually done something besides cruise the forum reading everything & complaining about not having a car dispite turning many many many cars down.

318willrun did a mild 360 and it ran in the 12.80's. If that 340 doesn't run better then 12 that's sad
Dan when you build better please post it.
As far as the OP 11.80 low 12s

I wanted to stay with the 391 because I still drive the car to work cruising at 50 it turns 3000 but was thinking of upping the tire size

I think these days if a car doesn't run in the 9s people for some reason don't think it's fast. But a legit 11.5 car is still damn fast and in solid territory.

With the duration numbers you have and those heads it seems like it could do pretty good.

Couple questions...

1. How come you aren't having the heads worked? That's pretty exotic stuff to leave stock.

2. How come the dual plane? I usually go with dual plane but in this case it seems mismatched.

3. Again with that cam it needs more stall

Edit: I misread the cam specs I thought I read duration at 50 those were the advertised numbers.

Last edited:
The heads have been worked over pretty good, but by hand From back in the day
The dual plane I figure will be better all around on the street
I do have a Victor 340 single plane so maybe that is something I can play with

JMO, but 3200 seems a little low for a converter for that combo.

What kind of car are you working on here? You mentioned it's 3200lbs...
What is it..Dart/Duster? IMO you should be using a single plane with your combo. I have a ported/gasket matched, Victor 340 intake manifold on my stroked 340 (418") and I drive my Duster on the street. :steering:

-
Back