my 360 heads were stolen by machine shop

-
I take pictures of everything that goes to someone else for work, this includes the stamping of the last 4 numbers of my SS card & the last a numbers of my DL. These numbers are stamped in more than one place on the part, sometimes in places people would never look.

I just took a crank to get polished. Before it left my shop it got an identifying mark stamped into it and a picture taken. I will be taking a block there as well. It has the same marking.

My crank came back, but it is sad when you fell the need for this.

THIS right here

I find it really hard to trust people I don't know for exactly these reasons, even with identifying marks a shop can still make mistakes, or intentionally try and screw you. Having to go to the police, or take the shop to court, takes time and can delay your project. One of the things I really miss since moving were all the contacts I had, good people that I could trust and rely on to do exactly what they said they would, and at a fair cost.

We both went to the shop and the machine shop told him to prove it. I'm thinking the shop either did on purpose or just didn't pay attention when assembling. Anyways basically shop said take me to court if you can prove it.
Well that answers that, and it's certainly a miserable situation. All of the woulda, coulda, shoulda isn't going to help you now but some good suggestions for down the road. Unfortunately prison isn't worth a set of heads. Although visions of shattered knee caps while wetting themselves because their business is burning down around them is a lovely fantasy. IMHO

We both went to the shop and the machine shop told him to prove it. I'm thinking the shop either did on purpose or just didn't pay attention when assembling. Anyways basically shop said take me to court if you can prove it.

....and the NAME of this Machine Shop?

There's been cases where they keep a set of cracked cores around.... and they call you and tell you yours are cracked and they bring those cores out to show you when yours are just fine.

Stamp ,mark ,and take pics of your property before you drop it off. It's worse as you go east because a lot of cores have dried up

You ain't jokin. Everybody around here has already crushed everything 10 years old or older. It's been that way a long time now.

At the shop I go to an invoice is written with a number and customers name in front of customer, number is stamped on heads and whatever else customer wants in front of them. If u take a picture of something u stamped, how do u prove that is what u dropped off?

upload_2020-4-16_23-1-17.jpeg

I would file in small claims court. Even if the judge rules against you the prick would still have to show up.

We had a local shop here that was notorious for that. I heard all kinds of rumors about them but at the time they was the only shop around and I needed a intake cleaned it was a cast 340 intake no real valuable but I didnt wont it stole either lol so I took pictures of everything on it. Dropped it off told them I wanted it cleaned. Months later they finally called me and said it was ready. I wanted to see it before I paid to make sure it was mine. It was but they did do anything to it you could still see cobwebs and dirt in the runners. Still had paint on the outside and they wanted to charge me something like 100 bucks. I was like no way I'm paying that you didnt do anything. I don't know alot about machine shops but I'm pretty sure hot tanking an intake should take the 40 year old orginal paint off. I ended up walking out with my intake and paid him 35. I never went back and they went out of business shortly after. Places like like can screw over alot of ppl but eventually it will bite them word of mouth speeds quickly especially in the car community. Karma will get them. I'm sorry this happened to you I hope you can find a set of replacement heads affordably

might not mean much BUT
1 blast their facebook page
2 file better business bureau complaint
3 file a complaint with the local chamber of commerce
4 file a complaint with their "accreditation"
cert.jpg

"Places like like can screw over a lot of people but eventually it will bite them word of mouth speeds quickly especially in the car community"

considering the inter net and peoples phones are the 1st line of defense...

a Google search will pop up this thread by just the mentioning of this business !!!

"

Last edited:
After looking up their business and going through their website ya just gotta wonder.…….

so it begins

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQu7j_L0sSTwQ110mGGDu0dC8sVwsFc9U2_xn_qGNJdkyXvbkhS&usqp=CAU.png

??? I agree with A56 , I bet some employee switched them ,put them in their lunch box, this business most likely has production contracts....shame on the owner, their the responsible party... most likely doesn't even know

Last edited:
We had a local shop here that was notorious for that. I heard all kinds of rumors about them but at the time they was the only shop around and I needed a intake cleaned it was a cast 340 intake no real valuable but I didnt wont it stole either lol so I took pictures of everything on it. Dropped it off told them I wanted it cleaned. Months later they finally called me and said it was ready. I wanted to see it before I paid to make sure it was mine. It was but they did do anything to it you could still see cobwebs and dirt in the runners. Still had paint on the outside and they wanted to charge me something like 100 bucks. I was like no way I'm paying that you didnt do anything. I don't know alot about machine shops but I'm pretty sure hot tanking an intake should take the 40 year old orginal paint off. I ended up walking out with my intake and paid him 35. I never went back and they went out of business shortly after. Places like like can screw over alot of ppl but eventually it will bite them word of mouth speeds quickly especially in the car community. Karma will get them. I'm sorry this happened to you I hope you can find a set of replacement heads affordably
Tanking isn't going to take 40+yr old paint off, a shot cabinet will. I would charge you about that if that's all you're were having done. I would include it in any package pricing for a valve job,any ready to assemble package or complete rebuild.

Jet wash is just a start.

Last edited:
Tanking isn't going to take 40+yr old paint of, a shot cabinet will. I would charge you about that if that's all you're were having done. I would include it in any package pricing for a valve job,any ready to assemble package or complete rebuild.

Jet wash is just a start.
100 bucks to tank a intake? Keep in mind this was 16 years ago. Lol that seems outrageous to me even to today's standards. I've never worked In a machine shop tho I dont know the process. That is the one and only time I've ever been to one to get work done. I'm getting ready to go and drop my 360 off tho.
Idk why I was always under the impression hot tanking one striped it down to the bare metal and removed all the dirt grease and contaminates

But in the end, the title is wrong? YOUR heads weren't stolen, your friends heads were stolen. You bought a 360 with 318 heads. Still a wrong deal and the principle doesn't change, I get it.

just using the info in post #35 ,came right up on a search...no other S&S in Irving TX yellow pages//maybe NOW they dont do auto work OR someone was doing side work and got busted !!!

(prove it ,take us to court,your Honor I dont know what this is about,we dont do that kind of work):rofl:

got a receipt ??
S&S machine shop Inc in Irving TX

....and the NAME of this Machine Shop?

Last edited:
Idk why I was always under the impression hot tanking one striped it down to the bare metal and removed all the dirt grease and contaminates

“Back in the good old days”.........
The really environmentally unfriendly chemicals used in hot tanks would strip off paint and carbon fairly easily.
It would also turn aluminum black rather quickly.
Pretty much all those chemicals have been killed off by the EPA.
I have a pressure wash cabinet(like a big dishwasher) and since I do a lot of aluminum heads, I use a chemical that doesn’t turn them black.
It hardly even touches most paint, and isn’t really very effective on heavy carbon either.
It’s primarily a degreaser.

I’d charge around $25 to run an intake through it........ but you wouldn’t be getting something back that was free of paint and carbon.
These days, to get that result....... some sort of abrasive cleaning is generally how that would get done.

Or, get out the paint stripper.

Last edited:
Seen it done before. What a shame. Go back and talk to the shop before you do anything else. Be calm and professional. They might help you out. If they don't want to just tell them social media is a *****. They might stop you before you go out the door. It has worked for me. Good luck.

-
Back