My 416 setup with questions?

-

RobertP

Reaction score
416 Forged eagle crank, H-beam rods, 11.5 Weisco forged pistons. Just put on the holley quick fuel 830, switched from the demon 900 cfm nothing but trouble with the demon. 63 cc aluminum edelbrock heads. RPM Airgap intake, 510 hydraulic roller cam, 3500 stall, full MSD. thinking about switching to the torker II intake, as well i think I'm running out of cam up top. i've never been one to ask questions on my setups but i figure a outside view of it might give me some fresh ideas.

only track times I've gotten were with the demon not opening more than 3/4 of the way due to bad linkage setup. 12.6 falling off when shifting to 3rd badly. and not leaving nearly the way it has with the new carb and throttle linkage set up.

Seems like an aweful small cam for that combo. I think you will lose low end torque w a torker II may gain a little higher rpm HP. Im only 10:1 in my 416 and will be running a .544/.566 and that is on the conservative side.

That was my thought too. What would be the properly matched cam that will work with my setup? I'm running the comp cams roller rockers with a hydraulic lifter. would like to keep those if possible and not go too big for the valve springs in the heads.

That was my thought too. What would be the properly matched cam that will work with my setup? I'm running the comp cams roller rockers with a hydraulic lifter. would like to keep those if possible and not go too big for the valve springs in the heads.

I would check w Mike @ MRL performance. He can advise a good cam for your combo. He can even have one custom ground if need be. He is one the one who advised me on my cam selection. And I want a tame streetable cam. I would think with that kind of compression and being hydro roller you would be up over .600 lift with 250-260 duration @ .050

I liked the torker II on my 360 it had more low and mid range than the fully ported holley strip dominator I have on it now, the SD has more a bit more power over 5,500. With the torker II and a 750 holley that was way over jetted I was still pulling 1.66 60', with a 3.91 gear in full street trim 71 demon. BTW PM if interested eather manifold

Yes that cam is WAY too small for your stroker combo. Call Bullet Cams. Give them your specs, weight of car, be ready to answer any and all questions regarding your engine and car.

^^^ What Mad Dart said.

Keep the Air Gap intake, its a better piece than the Torker. Eddy RPM heads are on the small side for a 408-416 inch motor. Some porting work would likely yield some healthy gains as well.

After doing some research, i've found two cams that seem to fit my build very well, the comp cams XE295HL and the Lunati 60405. personally leaning more towards the XE295HL for the slightly higher lift and duration over the 60405. just seeing what everyone else thinks about this. both seem to work with the OOTB heads.

Also with these cams will running a vacuum canister be needed? just for the power brakes?

For what you have listed there, keep the Air-gap on the car....it is not the bottle neck at this point in time. For what its worth, my 410 stroker has gone 10.89 with an Air-gap manifold on.

I've run the XE295HL cam on my last 360 build too....it was good for the 15 minutes it lived....then it wiped a lobe; thus resulting in my current 410 stroker with a roller cam....since you already have a roller, don't go backwards to a flat tappet setup....JMO.

Sorry I should have said hydraulic cam with roller rockers. not roller lifters. I have been swayed back to the lunati voodoo cam. should be ordering it tonight. Thanks for every ones input. Mike @ MRL is very knowledgeable.

Also looks like i'm staying with the rpm air gap.

I'm running a similar set-up to yours, but with 10.8:1 and a 750 dp, and I am thinking on going to the Lunati VooDoo series Hydraulic roller Cam. And porting and polishing my edelbrock heads.

Product Description

Lunati’s Voodoo series of camshafts deliver more area under the curve than any other series of camshafts. This means more throttle response, quicker acceleration, more vacuum and better efficiency. These factors, combined with maximum horsepower and torque, make Voodoo camshafts the perfect choice for a wide range of high performance applications.
Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller. Serious street/race cam. Needs 10.5:1 compression and 3200 RPM stall con- verter. Works with moderate nitrous and small superchargers. Healthy idle quality.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 294/302
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 243/251
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .560/.565
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 2600-6600
Part Number: 20200713
Previoius Part Number: 60413
Jobber Price: $304.08

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=3178&gid=289

And you would need to change your valve springs to Edelbrock 5845 springs

I'm running a similar set-up to yours, but with 10.8:1 and a 750 dp, and I am thinking on going to the Lunati VooDoo series Hydraulic roller Cam. And porting and polishing my edelbrock heads.

Product Description

Lunati’s Voodoo series of camshafts deliver more area under the curve than any other series of camshafts. This means more throttle response, quicker acceleration, more vacuum and better efficiency. These factors, combined with maximum horsepower and torque, make Voodoo camshafts the perfect choice for a wide range of high performance applications.
Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller. Serious street/race cam. Needs 10.5:1 compression and 3200 RPM stall con- verter. Works with moderate nitrous and small superchargers. Healthy idle quality.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 294/302
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 243/251
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .560/.565
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 2600-6600
Part Number: 20200713
Previoius Part Number: 60413
Jobber Price: $304.08

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=3178&gid=289

And you would need to change your valve springs to Edelbrock 5845 springs

Just ordered the Lunati Voodoo 60405 cam and lifters. Most likely going to send the heads out and have a stage 3 port and polish done on them as well, with new springs. Would like to see low 11's in the 1/4 mile

Going back to hydraulic Flat tappet! How come your not staying with a roller set-up? Who are you gonna send your heads too?

Going back to hydraulic Flat tappet! How come your not staying with a roller set-up? Who are you gonna send your heads too?

I currently have a just a flat tappet hydraulic cam. I re read what I wrote I have roller rockers not roller lifters. sorry for the confusion.

Speaking to Mike at MRL performance about the porting and polishing. really good guy to talk to. Taking the heads off this weekend and sending them out next week.

I currently have a just a flat tappet hydraulic cam. I re read what I wrote I have roller rockers not roller lifters. sorry for the confusion.

Speaking to Mike at MRL performance about the porting and polishing. really good guy to talk to. Taking the heads off this weekend and sending them out next week.
Mike did my head work. Really nice work. You will be very happy.

Well got it fired up yesterday and have to say it sounds great! along with the cam and head work, i ran all new 1/2 inch fuel line and 1/2 inch pick up in the tank. some new TTI headers. anyone want to take a shot at how it will perform at the track? still have a few weeks of other items in the interior to tackle before its done but happy to have her running again.

Thats an excellent cam ran one in my 416 and running one now in my 360..you didn't mention what gears your using,with a 3.91 or 4.10 you should be well into the low 11's..oh by the way keep the air gap on...

having some traction problems for sure now. even peddling its eating my 10.5 MT drag radials into second.

[ame=http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r672/RGPIII/EE8E6C50-AB5A-421E-9919-A2D41A50CA22_zpsg25ftsib.mp4]
th_EE8E6C50-AB5A-421E-9919-A2D41A50CA22_zpsg25ftsib.mp4
[/ame]

Drag radials will work on a good track, on the street or a marginal track they won't hook. They are either hooked or not, no middle ground.

I've been told the photo bucket video didn't play for everyone. here is the same video via you tube.

[ame]https://youtu.be/XiHcu_3SAUg[/ame]

-
Back