My 440 build and HP guess.

-

thesiren74

Reaction score
8/25/1965 440
Speed pro 2355 30 pistons and balanced forged crank/rods.
Comp hydraulic roller cam 23-712-9 Johnson lifters and haven't decided on rockers yet.
440 source stealth heads (unported)
Performer rpm intake
850 mechanical secondary carb
Shumacher headers ( will go full length tti eventually).
I'm thinking around high 400's for hp let me know what you think.

If it won't do burnouts unassisted by the brake pedal, or do continuous doughnuts, something will be wrong with it.

kind of an educated guess in that I built something fairly similar that was in that range.

I don't know how far the pistons are in the hole or what the compression is so I took an educated guess on the static/dynamic.

I'm not much of a big block guy, but the heads OOTB appear to be decent and a little bit of work would wake them right up. I think with the right bit of rubbing there could be some shine on that diamond.

depending on the valve gear, there could be another 20 hp kicking around in there.

the cam might be the limiting factor here, in that the intake will go to 6K and I think the heads will support the high 400's number

but I've been wrong before; and there's plenty others here that are much more educated in this department than I and are sure to chime in.

kind of an educated guess in that I built something fairly similar that was in that range.

I don't know how far the pistons are in the hole or what the compression is so I took an educated guess on the static/dynamic.

I'm not much of a big block guy, but the heads OOTB appear to be decent and a little bit of work would wake them right up. I think with the right bit of rubbing there could be some shine on that diamond.

depending on the valve gear, there could be another 20 hp kicking around in there.

the cam might be the limiting factor here, in that the intake will go to 6K and I think the heads will support the high 400's number

but I've been wrong before; and there's plenty others here that are much more educated in this department than I and are sure to chime in.
I'll be shooting for 10.25.1- 10.5.1 but gotta see where they are first.

I'll be shooting for 10.25.1- 10.5.1 but gotta see where they are first.
if you can get that as your static and your dynamic is up into the 9's I *think* you'll nudge closer toward the upper end of 400

it's small considerations like optimizing what the heads are flowing, dialing in the cam, setting the deck-- basically all the usual "blueprinting" where you'll get those 5's and 10's that can take you from 440 to 490

I think your cam is a thoughtful choice, it matches well with the manifold and it isn't too radical.

definitely interested to see how the numbers shake out!

if you can get that as your static and your dynamic is up into the 9's I *think* you'll nudge closer toward the upper end of 400

it's small considerations like optimizing what the heads are flowing, dialing in the cam, setting the deck-- basically all the usual "blueprinting" where you'll get those 5's and 10's that can take you from 440 to 490

I think your cam is a thoughtful choice, it matches well with the manifold and it isn't too radical.

definitely interested to see how the numbers shake out!
This whole combo is used parts and will cost under $2,500 considering I got the block and rotating assembly and cam for under $600.

This whole combo is used parts and will cost under $2,500 considering I got the block and rotating assembly and cam for under $600.
hell, dance with who you brung to party!

if you can splash some cash I would suggest sending the heads out for a spa day.

double check the cam install and confirm with a degree wheel & pay close attention to the CR, and you'll reap the rewards.

besides that, screw it together and go melt some tires.

I think my 230°@.050" .480" lift 9.4.1 413 is 430hp! Geez I hope a 440 will be more ugh

Your pistons will tell you the compression for their use with those chambers. IF they don't, you'll have to do some math.

YOu could also zero deck the engine to help out.

230@.050 is a bit small for a 440, but it depends on the LSA as well. I wouldn't be afraid to go 240@.040. If you aren't going roller, I have always really liked the MPP grind 240@.050, .528/.557

I would definitely want to see over .500 lift regardless

Your pistons will tell you the compression for their use with those chambers. IF they don't, you'll have to do some math.

230@.050 is a bit small for a 440, but it depends on the LSA as well. I wouldn't be afraid to go 240@.040. If you aren't going roller, I have always really liked the MPP grind 240@.050, .528/.557

The cam is bigger for the 440 the one I listed in the first post,

Screenshot_20221202-134931_Chrome.jpg

My buddy had this cam and had stealth heads on his 505 6 pack in a 69 super bee it ran 11.68 @115 untuned so hopefully it'll run a little better in my lighter more optimized 74 Duster.

6 pack and another 65 cubic inches makes a big difference.
what does more optimized mean?
Lighter. 4,000 stall 4.30 geared. His was about 3,800lbs at the time. 6 pack was very lean at the time also never got a chance to tune it.

I might have them cut down a little.
I would have a competition valve job done first. There's a You Tube video by Weingartnerracing where he inspects some 440 Source heads. You should watch it. Some good info.

Whatever you do, build the engine at true zero deck with flat tops.
Couple that with a .035" head gasket and the closed chamber head.

446, zero deck F/T, cam very similar to OP, RPM heads with reworked seats and bowls blended, SD intake, 1-7/8” headers, 850DP.......
542tq/518hp

Last edited:
-
Back