my /6 runs hot

-

kazooom

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Dart 225 /6 and after 2 minutes of warm up the temp gauge is almost at the end. The waterpump was changed with a rebuilt before I bought the car. I changed the thermostat. I took it to a mechanic to check as it was still running hot. They checked and changed the rad cap. Still running the same. I have original 4 blade fan and no shroud. No rad overflow bottle. Air temp has been in the 60's lately.... any ideas

Better flush the radiator those things were hard to get hot back in the day.

after the engine is hot ,with the engine off,feel around the radiator to see if it is evenly hot across the whole radiator core. to see if maybe it is blocked or has a restriction ????:eek:ops:

If it is pegging your temp gage it should be loosing coolant out the over flow pressure hose at the cap that should be going to some kind of a catch bottle, I use a N.O.S plastic energy drink bottle, Is your gage showing a true reading ? If the engine is that hot after 2 I would be concerned that the new pump is not working and not moving coolant... Can you see water movement with the cap off ? if not something has obstructed flow or your pump is not working.
Do a coolant flush and fallow instructions, Your timing could be set to high and or the carb is running lean, Did this just start all the sudden ?
First thing I would do is start it up when the engine is cold and when you see your temp gage read half way our straight up is should be HOT!! open the hood and feel the top radiator hose and squeeze it and see if there is high pressure and VERY hot , If not your gage is giving you a false reading8-)

I have ran in to issues where the suction radiator hose had separated internally. The pump would suck the hose to nearly a closed off position but you couldn't tell it by simply looking at the hose. Also if you have access to an infrared thermometer you could get the temperature of different spots and possibly locate where the problem is. Plugged up radiator is also a possibility. Could the thermostat in upside down?

I have ran in to issues where the suction radiator hose had separated internally. The pump would suck the hose to nearly a closed off position but you couldn't tell it by simply looking at the hose. Also if you have access to an infrared thermometer you could get the temperature of different spots and possibly locate where the problem is. Plugged up radiator is also a possibility. Could the thermostat in upside down?

Good call on the lower radiator hose 8-) I forgot all about that problem.
An infrared thermometer will tell the story for sure :coffee2:
I did a flush on a chebby truck for a friend and we found pieces of radiator hose in the coolant and I bet you 10 to 1 it was plugging the thermostat and the coolant vanes in the radiator 8-)

Good call on the lower radiator hose 8-) I forgot all about that problem.
An infrared thermometer will tell the story for sure :coffee2:
I did a flush on a chebby truck for a friend and we found pieces of radiator hose in the coolant and I bet you 10 to 1 it was plugging the thermostat and the coolant vanes in the radiator 8-)

Back then, there was no such animal as a infrared thermometer and it was hard to figure out because the hose looked perfect.

Thanks for the info guys, this cars been running hot all summer. There is movement in the rad but coolant runs slow. I'll flush the rad and do the temp test on the top hose, then take it from there.... we'll let ya know.

Have a good radiator shop test the radiator flow. Rod and repair as necessary.

Thanks for the info guys, this cars been running hot all summer. There is movement in the rad but coolant runs slow. I'll flush the rad and do the temp test on the top hose, then take it from there.... we'll let ya know.

Since the coolant is running slow I would seriously take a real good look at that lower radiator hose. If it is sucking shut it will cause exactly what your saying.

Just a thought, since my slant six runs hot whenever the vacuum advance stops working on my distributor (curse you cheap chinese parts!) and really hot when the mechanical advance sticks too. I would make sure your base is where its supposed to be, then check mechanical with the vacuum disconnected, and then check vacuum with a pump. Just my 2 cents.

Did the top rad hose check that memike suggested and made a rad overflow bottle on the weekend. The hose is still cool to touch when the gauge is in the 3/4 to hot position. I'll get a new sensor and wire ordered up and will let you know. I'll add a pic of my overflow bottle too.

OK guys and gals... looks like problem solved. I changed the temp sensor and gauge now reading slightley right of centre after driving for 1/2 hour. Ckeck out my car pics to see my rad overflow. May not have needed it but it looks cool and can always double as a flask... thanks .

vbpgimage.php
[/IMG]

-
Back