my 69 340 swinger

-

Charlie's Dart

Reaction score
Hey guys, when I bought my Dart years ago I installed a Formula S 4 speed cam . The engine is basicly stock with the exception of an LD-340 intake . It has an automatic tranny w/ stock 3:23 gears . The issue I have is its such a dog off the line but I really like the rough idle . Should I change out the cam again to something different or what . I do have a set of 3:91's I would like to use. Thanx for your help.

Yes, I would change that cam. Go to Comp Cams or Lunati for one of their "Voodoo" grinds. You can still have a choppy idle, BUT will have a modern fast ramp design and can pick something that has MUCH more torque down low...

Then I would change to the 3.91's.

You've already got a really good intake...

The cam and gears will make that 340 COME ALIVE!!!

Thanx for the help , I also have a set of W-2 econo heads but that will be a few years away I think.

If you are running a stock torque converter that is the first thing I would change. That and a good tune should fix your off line problem.

I really like 3.91 gears but they can be a little busy if the car sees a lot of highway miles.

If you've already got a cam in it,changing to 3.91's would be my first move.it'll wake that motor right up going from 3.23's to 3.91's is like night and day..even with a stock converter you will notice the difference..

At one time I had a Thermoquad & 5:13 gears . OMG that 340 really woke up when it hit passing gear , it would go sideways then hook up. It scared a few friends w/ big blocks.

That cam is very good, and it does not lack low end. My impression is it's a tuning thing. What are your timing specs?

-
Back