My 69 Dart "AKA" The Blue Mutt

-
For the car, took out all the Honda seat belts (guess thats what they were) took out the back seat to get to, guy had a plywood board jammed in there, had to cut it in half to get out. I was going to use the seatbelt bolts for exhaust hangers, decided to use the factory location on driver side and add the bracket on passenger side - next weekend I am hopeful after this little break I can get some flow going and make some good progress - hopefully we can get some dry warm weather here in the pacific north swamp

IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG

This is looking good! As usual, you are ahead of me in the driving-it-street-legal department.

maybe, I gotta go back and face the exhaust that was lickin my ***, will see how that goes LOL

Bill I think you need a few more tool boxes not enough mate !

What’s the purpose of that tool ? Educate me never seen anything like it. Just read the brochure in your pick wheel alignment tool !!

What’s the purpose of that tool ? Educate me never seen anything like it. Just read the brochure in your pick wheel alignment tool !!

its used to set ride height, not sure how old it is but it only has info for cars thru 63 I think

the battle continued with the exhaust, again it beat on me pretty good but I did win at least one battle, the driver side is connected and nice and secure, its tucked up pretty good, the tip is a little more than I like from the bottom of the bumper but will see what it looks like when the car is back on the ground., will get back after the passenger side next weekend hopefully.

IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG

Bill I think you need a few more tool boxes not enough mate !

Ha-ha. I owned a Craftsman toolbox for 30+ years, about eyeball high and 26" wide. When I retired I decided I deserved a new toolbox, the old one was full to overflowing. I found a nice 54" wide Craftsman on a killer deal and brought it home. While transferring the tools, I came to the sad realization the new box was pretty well full, and the old box was only half empty. So I kept them both. It's amazing how many tools you can own to fill available space. :eek:

Ha-ha. I owned a Craftsman toolbox for 30+ years, about eyeball high and 26" wide. When I retired I decided I deserved a new toolbox, the old one was full to overflowing. I found a nice 54" wide Craftsman on a killer deal and brought it home. While transferring the tools, I came to the sad realization the new box was pretty well full, and the old box was only half empty. So I kept them both. It's amazing how many tools you can own to fill available space. :eek:

its amazing how many tools you have and didn't even know you needed them until you saw them - I hope Im done buying tools and tool boxes, before long they will need their own garage - sure is nice to have all of them, even the ones you don't use but every now and again

got this little bundle of joy to deal with after I get done with exhaust - haven't seen any threads showing this issue dammit, new proforged idler arm, from the pict in the FSM it appears to be correct, center link appears to be correct comparing photo to what is on my buddys 69 GTS - more suckage - to top it off I have damn near punched a hole in my new oil pan, gonna have to hit it with the welder just in case

IMG_0387.JPG

Bill, you might need to put shims under motor mounts to raise the engine a touch for more clearance to headers and oil pan.

well Im quite sure I don't have a future at any muffler shops but there is now 1 of 1 69 Dart with a Bill special dual exhaust - lost track of the hours spent but its is done, I will finally get going on the rest of the assembly, this was the final piece from the muffler, overl the axle and to the tip, passenger side - had to make a offset to avoid hitting the gas tank - I have the car up on ramps front and back so I can't completly tell but it should be plenty of clearance, I tucked the Magnaflows up in the recess area pretty good.-

IMG_0395.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG

not to much progress, close to being completely done on the bottom of the car, a few more checks and tightening a few more things and I will put the front wheels back on and sit it on the ground, will surely get that done next weekend - getting closer

took a picture of a nice *** today and thought I would share

IMG_0474.JPG

well I am finally done under the car for now - after jacking with the transmission lines I got them clear of most everything but will replace them later and make my own, everything is tight, diff is full of fluid. The exhaust seems to have good ground clearance and I have the front height close to where I want it and the wheels set good enough to put it on the ground, I will deal with the alignment later on. wheels back on and sitting on the ground. I got started cleaning up the wiring which I should finish tomorrow then final assembly under the hood - looks like next weekend it will be ready to start and break in the new cam. I also added some mini valves at the block plugs, I blew out as much muck and ran bottle brushes through all the water ports, gonna do some flushing before I put in antifreeze and the new radiator. I want to look into raising the rear some, Im gonna eventually go to a 28" tire but sure want a little more rake to the car

IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0482.JPG
IMG_0483.JPG

Neener-neener. I told you your car would hit the street before mine. :poke:

Ive been sayin next week since december - we will see - could have got more things done but when I cleaned everything up a few weeks ago and put everything away I put it away so I couldn't find it. spent several hours looking for the oil filter offset gasket - lucky I bought 2 months ago and didn't put them in the same spot so I at least was able to find the one, couldn't find the small bushing for the pushrod to the master cylinder so ordered them again

spent several hours looking for the oil filter offset gasket

Haha, you beginner. I just went looking for the axle flange gaskets yesterday (which are not to be found, I got new ones at NAPA). What do I find in the search? Not one, not two, but three 90 degree oil filter adapters. I guess my earlier self was trying to tell my later self it really, really, wants an adapter... :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Im starting to thing that I might be able to just buy a rolling shell - when I move will find all the parts I might need to put it together - same with my Mustang I have been working on for 5 years also

Tip of the day - make sure when priming oil pump that the oil pressure sensor is installed, attached is what it should look like, of course I have an added sensor for the aftermarket gauge - without the sensor there is a good chance that much like me you will shoot oil somewhere near the Canadian border - DAMN! another mess to get cleaned up

IMG_0486.JPG

got most of the wiring cleaned up, also cleaned old gasket off valve covers then the mini Valdez oil spill happened - after a little clean up and getting the pressure sensors in place and getting a good prime on the oil pump called it a day - gonna let the oil settle and lube the cam again then finish the assembly and hopefully all of my painstaking effort will make this baby roar back to life -

IMG_0487.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG

well got a few things done - then a few steps baackwards - wiring is finished and ready to connect, will secure it a little better once everything is bolted down and in place. went to work on the brakes - couldn't keep the master cylinder from puking fluid - got a replacement from Oreilly and the threads were too bad on the front bowl, ordered more parts from Dr Diff, hoping I can actually use the spare Wilwood MC from my Mustang, its a 7/8" bore, will see when the adapter plate comes in - with the brake fail I went ahead and pulled the lifters out and re-lubed everything then reassembled - all good - put the intake on and find out got a stripped bolkt hole DAMMMMITTT*&^&^*% - went ahead and set the carb on to make sure I have all the pieces to plumb it in the way I want - needed to order one more fitting so I added that to the Summit order with some more gaskets, I chased all the threads on the heads when I cleaned them up, must have not realized the one hole was bad - went ahead and put the air cleaner on also - damn its gonna look nice - maybe someday it will run, need to clearance the manifold a bit due to some interference with the valve covers - ugggggg

IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0503.JPG

Looks fantastic, and even though it's one step forward two steps back at times, the progress is good to see. Can't wait for the video on its next voyage. :thumbsup:

-
Back