My '72 Demon 340...

-

TimE

Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread on here to introduce y'all to me and my car and have a place to keep track of my (SLOW) progress. This is a post from a few months back...

My name is Tim and I have a 72 Demon 340. I live in south Alabama( 35 miles NE of Moblie, 40 miles north of Gulf Shores). My car was originally TB3 Blue with white side stripes, white tail panel and black hood stripe with a twin snorkel scoop. It was painted purple with black stripes back in '89.

It was a 340/3 spd, bucket seat, no console car. Right now it has a 340 with a 280 purple cam, 727 reverse manual valve body w/3000 stall and an 8 3/4 with 4.10 suregrip.

I have owned this car twice. Once back in the very early nineties and then bought it back in early 2000. Won't sell it again!!

When I bought the car the 1st time, it had a 340 with an unknown cam, 4 spd and a 2.76 open diff. It would "scream" on the Interstate. When I bought it back the 4 spd had been replaced with the 727. I have another 833 to put back into it at some point.

The car hasn't been driven much since I bought it back in 2000. It is in need of some attention. My plans are to try to get it back to where it is safely and easily driveable again(brakes, rebuild carb, etc). I also need to start working on the body. The elements haven't been good for the car.

Anyway, I'm glad I found the site and here are a few pics from a couple of years ago.

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

It looks a little worse for wear right now, but you get the idea. :cool:

Since this was written a few months ago, I had a friend swap the 727 out for an A833, Centerforce clutch and a Pistol Grip. (Not sure I like the shifter yet though...) He also put new plugs in, rebuilt the carb and cleaned out the gas tank for me so it was at least driveable. Normally, I would have performed all of this myself, but overtime at work was REAL high and when I was off, which wasn't much I wanted to spend time with the wife and kids.

I drove it around a little and one of the front tires seperated, badly, and I also had a bounce in the frontend. I replaced the tires on the front, they were about 12 years old or so, and stll had a bad bounce in the front when I would "romp" on it. Turns out one of the front rims was warped. Overtime had started to back off a little so I decide instead of buying another sbp rally, I would go ahead and convert to bbp discs.

I have been "nickel and dime"ing the parts, trying to get it together and finally got the brakes bled out the other day. I have installed a new reman MC, SS Fine Lines brake lines with their proportionoing valve, reman calipers, reaman wheel cylinders and new rubber flex lines. I also decided to use DOT 5 brake fluid this time around. The pedal feels good right now, so I'm happy so far, but only a drive down the road will confirm my pleasure.8)

I still need to pull it back apart, clean it all up-have the rotors turned, paint the suspension, install the new upper ball joints, tie rods and control arm bushings, etc. Hopefully this will all get done while I am on vacation during Thanksgiving. We'll see what happens there...

Ssoooo...as of right now it is sitting outside on jackstands waiting on me to get back to her. Here are some more recent pics...

Attachments

• demon1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 485
  • demon2.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 503
  • demon3.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 484
I also just ran the numbers on the 340 that was in the car before, which is now sitting on a motor stand and it is the numbers matching 340. I was really stoked about that. I have decided that, since I do have the original motor, I will paint the car back its original Blue Streak when I get to that point. Anything that I change will be easily changed back.

I have some other stuff that I will post later but ,progress updates will probably come in spurts as everything I do will be performed on a fairly limited budget and as time permits.:angry7:

Looks like a good starting point!

I agree.

As for the limited budget and time, I think if you do a little reading on here a lot of folks will testify to this. You'll have a bunch of good guys and gals in the background cheering you on, that's for sure!

I'll be watching and cheering. Looks like a great project.

Very cool! Glad to see another 72 B3 340 Demon (same as mine) getting restored. Some progress is better than no progress so keep up the good work. What is your SPD (build date) on the fender tag?

Nice car and cool color combo. Welcome to the D O C (Demon Owners Club) LOL I made that up.

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm really liking this site...lotsa good info and nice people.

813Demon340- The SPD is C17--Dec. 17, 1971.
Got any pics of your 72 B3?

6pk2goDemon- So would that make me member #2 since you are the founder and original D. O. C. member?:-D

I want to post up the entire history of the Demon, as far as I know it, at some point just to document it for future references...I just spent about an hour typing and when I hit "Post" I had been logged out due to inactivity and lost it all.#-o It's bed time now. I hate nightshift!

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm really liking this site...lotsa good info and nice people.

813Demon340- The SPD is C17--Dec. 17, 1971.
Got any pics of your 72 B3?

6pk2goDemon- So would that make me member #2 since you are the founder and original D. O. C. member?:-D

I want to post up the entire history of the Demon, as far as I know it, at some point just to document it for future references...I just spent about an hour typing and when I hit "Post" I had been logged out due to inactivity and lost it all.#-o It's bed time now. I hate nightshift!

Try doing it with a processing program like Word or Notepad, then you can cut and paste over here. I hate it when that happens!

Got her driveable with a brand new braking system(finally...it's a long story). Will have her at Cruisin the Coast Friday and Saturday in all of her crusty glory. If ya see me, honk or say hi...

You seem to have a decent starting point. I'd like to keep up with this thread as I am gonna start on a '72 340 Demon soon..

This has been interesting and look forward to more progress. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comments guys. I hope to start doing some things to her again now, as time permits.

My next point of attack will be to get a new radiator and swap out the old style cast water pump for the correct style aluminum pump. I'm not quite sure why it was converted to the older style setup unless that was the only large(3 flue) radiator that the last owner could find(???).

The plan from there is to get a set of bbp axles and swap the 4.10/11 chunk out for a good 3.55 that I have.

I also need to get a new windshield and rubber soon. When it rains, it has started to leak profusely into the car. That will probably be done before anything else.

I pulled the heater box out a few days ago too. It is in pretty sad shape. A friend of mine has another box from a '72 Demon that I'm probably gonna go pick up in the next week or so, unllleeeeesssss... I can talk the wife into an aftermarket ac/heat setup. (I'm pretty sure I'll be restoring the stock replacement, lol!)

db-- You have an awesome car!! I hope mine will be as nice as yours one day.

-
Back