My 73 Duster Restoration Adventure

-

johnstevens

Reaction score
I have three boys, and last year I began looking for an older car to purchase. I had visions of teaching my boys about the inner workings of a car, and spending some quality time with them.
...So I began looking for an older car.

Among the many cars I've had. I've owned a 79 Camaro, and later had a 76 Corvette and know how to work on them. Though it would have been easy for me to go the Chevy route, I wanted something different. My late uncle had a 70 Mach 1, and I thought it would have been a great tribute to him getting and working on a Mustang. If I was fortunate to find a Mach 1, the better.

I found a Mach 1 in my price range that needed a lot of work (but it ran). For some reason the owner and I always had trouble connecting. I had a feeling that although this car would someday be more valuable, that the car was not really for me, so I begrudgingly moved on. My search continued.

I found a couple of other Mustangs and was ready to pull the trigger on a 70 Mustang Grande when out of nowhere I found an ad for a 73 340 Duster. I was never a Mopar guy, never even crossed my mind. But there was this picture of this car. The price was not bad either, but again ...this car. I could not keep the image out of my mind so I had to take a look at it. One day, I drove a couple of hours to see it. I wanted to take a look at it before I bought the Grande. I drove up looking for the car and then I saw it. Right there and then I told myself that since I was not looking for a matching numbers show car and regardless of the problems or issues with it, I was going to buy that car. And I did.

Attachments

• duster 4.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 168
I have always been a duster guy and you picked a good looking car. The top and color of your car will make it stand out. Good luck with your project!

So, I went to pick up the car with a friend. He was exited when I told him about the car and offered to use his truck to pick it up (thanks Paul). Got the paperwork done, the car was started and was put into the car trailer. We stopped at a fast food place for lunch. It was amazing how may people stopped to look at the car. There was this woman who stopped and stared at the car for about 15 minutes. A gentleman stopped on his truck, looked over the car for a few minutes and said. “I remember when that car came out. That car was a fast mother f******r.” Paul and I looked at each other and we just had to laugh with the guy.

Attachments

• going home.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 147
...Now, it had been raining when I picked up the car, and the rain made the car show its potential, but I knew better. Though the car looked good on the outside, the inside was a different story. The floor pans needed to be replaced, the seats needed to be redone, pieces were missing, etc. I got a touch of reality when I brought my sons out to look at the car and my oldest son (he is 12) said, “Cool car, but it has a hole on the floor”. He then went back inside the house to play with his iPad. My youngest boy (8 years old) seemed more interested and said, “Is the car going to be done when I get out of High School?”. I said, maybe. He then said, “Can I have it?”. I said, maybe.

Attachments

• photo 2 small.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 135
  • seats small.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 151
  • photo 5 small.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 143
Looks like a good builder, can't wait to see the progress on this one....

Looks like you have some work ahead of you but it will be fun. I thought that my children would be interested in helping me with my car but that hasn't been the case. I'm having fun doing it myself. I like the bench seat with folding armrest.

Thanks for the encouragement. I already know that the kids are not interested in helping at this point. But I am having a good time with it so far. I will be putting more posts to catch up to where I am today. I joined this forum to learn from the many people who have done and are doing this. I will be asking your opinions and help. Regards

Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Special
2 Door Sports Hardtop

H3B: 340 240HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

: Sequence number

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D34: TorqueFlite Automatic Transmission
JY3: Light Gold Exterior Color
D2Y4: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bench Seat, Gold/Black
000: Full Door Panels
802: Build Date: August 02