My '74 Dart Sport Project

-

1mopar4life

Reaction score
I bought a '74 Dart Sport last Saturday after looking high and low for the perfect one since I was 12. It has a 318, 904 trans, 2.76s in a 7 1/4 rearend, aftermarket power seats and A/C and a set of new Cragars on it. I paid $3k for it which is a bit more than I wanted to pay considering what all it needs now that I've drove it some and found its flaws.

2011-08-14_19-00-18_589.jpg

2011-08-14_11-47-09_831.jpg

Over the past few days I've had to put on a new starter and a new electric fuel pump. The past owners used old parts they had laying around to put some of it together which is fine being the day and age we live in. Regardless, I need to swap in V8 disc brakes, torsion bars, leaf springs, 8 1/4 rear end and I would really like to find a factory center console to put in it.

I would drive it as is for a little while till you get all the 'bugs' out of it. The car should of came with disk brakes. Not sure what you mean by V8 disk brakes.
So it must of came with a /6. If it's drums then yes I would upgrade to disk brakes first and then worry about the rear-end. I ran a 7 1/4 behing a 318 for quite a while and never had an issue. Does this 74 have small bolt pattern or Large bolt pattern?

It did start life as a /6 car. Luckily it doesn't have a trace of rust I could find anywhere including the usual places. Sadly its the small bolt pattern with adapters for the 4.5in bolt pattern. I figure the rear end will hold up but if I get ahold of a parts car with the other rear end I'll swap them so I can get rid of those adapters on my wheels. They worry me a bit and they stick the front tires out a bit much. I love this car so far, its a whole new experience from the old Dodge pickups I've always had. I hope I can get this one to be a sweet driver car.

I would say that's a really good deal. Mine was missing ton or parts and not put together and i paid 1500 for it. Not to mention the paint was done.

I bought a '74 Dart Sport last Saturday after looking high and low for the perfect one since I was 12. It has a 318, 904 trans, 2.76s in a 7 1/4 rearend, aftermarket power seats and A/C and a set of new Cragars on it. I paid $3k for it which is a bit more than I wanted to pay considering what all it needs now that I've drove it some and found its flaws.

2011-08-14_19-00-18_589.jpg

2011-08-14_11-47-09_831.jpg

Over the past few days I've had to put on a new starter and a new electric fuel pump. The past owners used old parts they had laying around to put some of it together which is fine being the day and age we live in. Regardless, I need to swap in V8 disc brakes, torsion bars, leaf springs, 8 1/4 rear end and I would really like to find a factory center console to put in it.

I think you did OK at 3K, I paid 1000.00 for mine in no where as good of shape as yours.

Updates at last!

I made alot of progess on my Dart this past weekend. I was making the rounds Saturday night and the radio that came with the car gave up the ghost. I made a mad dash to Walmart and picked up a nice Pioneer head for 69.99. I swapped it in and viola! Now I have Mp3 and CD action. The only problem is the plug from the antenna to the radio is butchered from its previous owners. I have to replace it so I dont have FM or AM right now.
2011-09-05_14-44-40_436.jpg

I also wired up a relay for my fuel pump to run on instead of running off the fuse box like it was prior. Now I can have it on accessory and no fuel pump running!
I got my power seats powered and seatbelts moved from the back to the front. I still need to run a relay to power my seats. Its run off the fuse box but that will soon change. Its starting to come together now. Ive got a exhaust hanger that needs welded up and Ive got a trans leak somewhere I have to fix.

Question time, what kind of wipers do I need to get to put on it? It has these things:
2011-09-04_18-52-19_81-1.jpg

I'd like to get rid of the refill style wipers and go to late model style ones. Do I need 16inch ones?

I did clay bar, polish and wax it over the weekend and it really shines now. Disc brakes, V8 Torsion bars, larger radiator and 8 1/4 rearend will be swapped in soon, going to get my parts car this week.

It looks like you got a great deal. If you need V-8 torsion bars I have a pair from a 318 A body. I'll let them go cheap as I don't need them. PM me if interested.

Its been quite a while since I updated this, wow!

Anyways, I found a 73 Duster parts car for the disc brake and suspension swap. It has everything there except the interior is completely gone. Everything is under the car and under the hood. I stole the radiator from it and fan for my car last fall. The next stage is to pull everything out of the Duster and put under my Dart so it will have all V8 suspension and brakes. I want to add sway bars front and rear to it as well. I have found the Addco kits for the front and back. I also have a Poly bushing kit to replace all the old bushings with. Would it be wise to take the calipers and power master cylinder to a parts store and use them for my core and buy brand new ones? I also have the A/C Compressor to hook up which Im sure Ill be on here griping about soon enough! It needs either all aftermarket gauges or a new dash cluster installed. Im leaning towards the aftermarket gauges so I can redo the wiring. Wiring issues tend to plague our old cars!

I now have my parts Duster and my Dart in the shop!

6b09291c.jpg

0cae56ea.jpg

1847c066.jpg

Tomorrow Ill be checking to see if the engine will turn over, pull it and the trans out. Then swap sides with the two and steal the rear end and rear springs from the Duster and put it in my Dart. Also going to check out the condition of the Dusters fuel tank compared to mine. If neither are good, Im going to a fuel cell and aftermarket sending unit soon. Then Im pulling the Dart engine and going through it to check the bearings and put new gaskets on it as well as fix a rear main leak. If my bushing kit arrives in the mail tomorrow Ill start on the suspension/brake swap. I decided to stay with the manual brakes but going to disc in the front of course. Do I need to swap master cylinders? I know Ill need a prop. valve but will the cylinder I have work? If not, it wont be a problem to order another one. I want to keep this car as simple as possible and keep it to where if I have a problem I can go to the nearest parts store and get parts to fix it. Hopefully I can get to everything tomorrow and get the Dart back rolling and see what parts I need to replace from the swap. Wish me luck and I shall return with pics!

Hey im restoring a 1973 plymouth duster if you have any parts that would fit my car let me know..Thanks!!

I should have quite a few body panels left after Im done, it turns out my Duster is a 74 Gold Duster. It still has Gold Duster on the sides! Pretty cool I thought. Im hoping for better gear than what my Dart has in a bad way too!

In the past 48 hours, me, my dad and my grandpa have pulled two engines, one transmission, 2 rear ends, 2 complete front ends and put them both all back together except for the engine back into the Dart. Now here comes the mother load of pictures to illustrate this project so far:

Starting at 8am Saturday morning
The 318 in the Duster being stripped down ready to be pulled
8dddc181.jpg

The parts tub that spawned from the 318 in the Duster
2d34cb65.jpg

Oh hi thur, on jack stands and cutting off the exhaust and unbolting motor mounts and trans crossmember
a47a3742.jpg

Its in the air! That was a project in itself to pull that old tired engine and trans!
028b7725.jpg

590d27d7.jpg

It looks so sad with the hood pulled off and the engine out
5268ed05.jpg

We decided to leave the two together for now, engine turned over and the trans fluid didnt smell burnt so maybe their still good
72de6b4a.jpg

And then we swapped bays with the two, the removal of the Dart rear end proved to be our worst enemy oddly enough, had one bolt that had to be completely broke on the leaf spring that held the perch on
12587685.jpg

fba73cef.jpg

and now we move to the Duster to pull the bigger rear end with the bigger rear drums and the BBP.
fa53efde.jpg

The 8 1/4 finally comes out, doesnt look too bad
a6a0b06b.jpg

The dinky /6 rear end, soon to go back under the Duster so we could still roll the thing around and out of the way
d068dab8.jpg

The 8 1/4 under the Dart, dad had our big black Panther helpin us with the swap
feecf6f1.jpg

After quite a bit of fighting it is finally on the ground, just to figure out we had to swap the shackles that were ghetto rigged on the other rear end to raise the car up in the back so it wouldnt be too low to the ground.
aca44924.jpg

From what I have been told and shown, this MC will work with my new brakes, just have to get a proportioning valve.
b8866da5.jpg

By 3am, the Dart was jacked up, blocked and the engine out of it.
1710bb15.jpg

fdab7c9f.jpg

Now after a little bit of sleep, at 12pm Sunday we are staring at a V8 k-member that desperately needs into the Dart
fd556a95.jpg

Slant 6 K Member that needs gone, soon!
99f27169.jpg

Had to bring the crecent wrench of death out to loosen a nut up
7f2a807e.jpg

Front suspension finally showing sign of weakness and coming out of the Dart
acea7ed0.jpg

Both sides put up a helluva fight but we finally got them going out of the car
53f305e6.jpg

The beast is dead! Now this k-member gets to go back into the Duster so we can roll it around
8e697379.jpg

There is what were after! After so much work we finally get down to the brakes
89bf6c30.jpg

Sometimes you just gotta get down in the engine bay and do some damage, pulling the steering loose on both cars sure was easy with the engine out of them both! Those are 3/4in bolts in them, all 3 of them, do remember that!
48565d4e.jpg

Now we have the piece weve been after all day long, took everything, shocks and all out of the Duster.
369f3c09.jpg

Used the cherry picker and jack to make pulling the new K-Member into position on the Dart a bit easier
924d2172.jpg

We finished at 7pm tonight

I didn't get another pictures past that point, but we did get the new K-Member installed, all the front suspension put back together, steering linkages bolts back up, brake lines hooked up and everything except the engine back in the Dart. We also got the V8 torsion bars swapped into the Dart, which is SO much easier with the k-member out. We ran into a few glitches but its all back together. We put the Duster all back together enough to roll it outside and free up the other bay in the shop. Now that the suspension is under the Dart, the replacement of parts and upgrading can begin. Luckily both cars were '74 models so everything was the same.

Thanks for the help I've got from you guys here and the threads running around on here, it helped us a ton! Though the battle is over, the war is far from over with this car. Once I get it back on the ground and running, I'll have quite a few questions about the suspension and brakes that Ill have to come here to get the answers!

woo you are moving right along. Looks like i wasn't the only one to get down and dirty with there sport this weekend

I must say I think you live a charmed life. Your parts car is in great shape and better than what most of us here ever had to restore. Please offer the body to someone else when your done with it. It looks like a great project ahead of you. Dan

Thanks guys! I wish my parts car was in decent shape but the pictures dont show the destroyed quarter panel or the sheer amount of rust on the rear half of the body. The doors, fenders, all the glass, trim, and the front bumper are in great shape though. The grille is in great shape as well. After I get my Dart together and running well, Ill be parting out the Duster. Ill let you guys have first pick of what parts come off the Duster! I wont get back on the Dart project for another week or so. I do have my bushing kit on the way and quite a few replacement parts for the steering linkages. Ill also be replacing the calipers and pads. Ill have to look at the rotors and see if they are still usable but most importantly I have everything under the car and under it the way the factory had it so parts should be easily found. I need another brake line but I forget which side. It looked rough coming off the Duster so I will replace it. My plan for this car is to be able to daily drive and be able to take on trips. I am thinking hard about pulling the tank from the Duster and seeing if its in better shape, my tank is in awful shape. Sending unit put back in with silicone bad shape from the previous owner but I there is also a good chance a new fuel cell goes in if I cant find a cheap factory replacement.

Sweet project ! 73's my fave year for 'A' Bodies ; big bolt pattern (finally!) and REAL disc brakes (bye-bye 4 piston corrode and freeze calipres !).

I noticed that your parts car '74 Duster has its original brake master cylinder ; note its original metal tag ! That'll have the m.c.'s build date (in Julian Calendar form) , p.n. , etc.

Just a suggestion (and this is purely from personal taste) : get rid of that stupid "warning" plate that's on the gas cap .
It's easy to do ; just remove the handle (from backside , 2 Philips screws) ; take that "warning" plate out to the shooting range ; scuff the cap's exterior surface with light grade sandpaper ; hit it with some etching primer (multiple , light-fog coats) ; wet sand ; then hit it with your choice of colour . The handle only needs to be cleaned , then use regular primer (etch primer will craze the handle's plastic) , and then topcoat with the same paint you're using on the cap.

I suggest this , as it'll make the cap appear to be factory stock . The look that I personally prefer :D

Now that sounds like a sharp idea LH, once I get the big parts of my project complete Ill for sure be getting that eye sore of a gas cap my Dart has touched up. Its always bothered me how it looks on there. Im not sure what shade red my car is, was told it was Viper Red but you know how that goes. It may get touched up and painted all black so it wont look old and faded.

Progress today surprisingly. Pulled the calipers and rotors off, got re-man calipers ordered, not sure about using the rotors I have yet or not, got 2 new cylinders for the rear brakes ordered and a few other odds and ends to clean everything up. Still trying to figure out which master cylinder I want to go with but Ill see what the parts store has to offer that will bolt right up.

24036be1.jpg

5bf8b1f7.jpg

57b8b1b8.jpg

Done a little touch up on the K-Member, its not show quality but I believe it is driver quality.
13fe17b9.jpg

If you need upper control arms i bought them for $161.00 on ebay from world suspention. Bolted right up! Came with new arm,bushings,and ball joints already installed. Drives like new now. Good luck!

Ive got even more parts in!

caacfd6e.jpg

f55e883a.jpg

I've been too caught up at my archery shop and bowfishing with the guys from there to open it all up and see. Saturday I may crack some of them open and just see what I've got! I cant wait to get it back going, the weather is getting just about perfect!

Over the past weekend, we made a ton of progress and got it back on the road. It drives though not really good just yet. We are taking it to a shop to have the bushings installed, the A/C hooked up and the suspension aligned.
Friday...7:00pm we start in again
6774695a.jpg

We decided to pull the valve covers off and the oil pan off while the engine was out. Changed gaskets and put in a new rear main seal where the old one seemed to leak.
21c4b650.jpg

We finally get it back together after cleaning the engine up good so the gaskets will seal onto the engine and start the process of putting the engine back in. Mind you, we now have the V8 K Member and motor mounts. Having never done this, it was a fight...to the death!

2f933632.jpg

52bcbba2.jpg

Saturday at 3:00am the engine was back installed, trans hooked up, and ready to start on the next day.
We started back in at 10am and got the disc brakes and calipers on, new wheel cylinders in the rear drums, brakes bled, everything back on the engine, and back on its wheels. Did all this to find out that the headers and exhaust were contacting the frame and torsion bars. Sunday we start back in on it, beat in where it was contacting and fixed a few little wiring nightmares while we were at it. But now its back on the road driving. Hopefully the shop will get everything together and right on it so it will be driver ready when it comes back home. My next plan of attack is to get a new dash pad, new fuel tank and change out wheels to some with the correct back spacing. My front wheels have enough back spacing that you can see the entire brake and control arms from the front. I also need taller shackles for the back and new shocks while Im at it.

Looks good. You should of taken the opportunity to paint the engine bay white while you had the engine out. Would have made a world of difference when that motor went back in.

-
Back